Google gets outbid in g.co.uk

NameSilo
Watch

999names

Account Closed
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
With the recent announcement that .uk is on the way the prices paid are going to look far too high. http://www.itpro.co.uk/643231/nominet-proposes-shorter-more-secure-uk-domains

"Originally Posted by Nominets FAQ
"Q Why wouldn't you just let everyone with a .co.uk have automatic rights to the .uk?

Answer (mine): Nominet would not make so much money from the auctions!

A The proposals we have outlined acknowledge that existing registrants with domain names registered in the third level may have an unregistered right provided evidence of use could be shown prior to a qualifying date. We also believe that it is appropriate to recognise trademark holders as having prior rights to registering a domain, followed by those with unregistered rights. Our current rules provide that a registrant does not have any rights in any words within a .uk domain, and that Nominet does not authorise registrants to use the domain name as part of a business. However, as part of the registered rights phase of sunrise, we would generally accept evidence of use as a valid unregistered right. We believe this approach fits with a digital economy where innovation and intellectual property are championed and to supporting existing registrants who might want to take up such a new service."

•••
I'm surprised that there isn't a g.com and that Google hasn't registered it.

•••
.co.uk could be obsolete in 2014.

Scotland has a vote on Independence which would break up the UK. Hence why I think Nominet is releasing top level .uk names just in case this happens.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back