IT.COM

opinion Google Does Domaining Like Big Time Extortion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Google Domains has the rights to the .dev Top Level Domain and intends to make as much money from it as possible - $11,500 just for early access to the scramble to register the most desirable names.

The practice of domain name investing, domaining or domain name speculation, is either a legitimate business opportunity or a grubby land grab depending on how you view it. The idea is simply to register names that other people might find attractive, hopefully essential, in the future and then sell at as big a profit as possible. If the enterprise wanting the name is a big business then often the actual economics of buying the name is never considered. Will having the name actually provide payback on the sum asked for? For instance, business.com sold for over $300 million. Did it produce an additional profit of $300 million over some reasonable time period, or was it just a useless totem, an expensive good luck charm? Do users really take note of domain names?

I think the answer is probably not and certainly not as much as they used to.

Even though this is so people still try and make money from buying domain names and it seems they are still successful enough to keep doing it.

read more (i-programmer)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
The sale of Business.com included a business... The 300m was mostly for the business from what I understand...because it's a 1 - 5 million dollar donain...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back