Domain Empire

domains Google and .XYZ Acquisition?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Thanks to a penny promotion for its second anniversary, the .XYZ gTLD more than doubled its numbers from less than 3 million, to more than 6 million domains.
Without continuous promotions, often below the wholesale price, it’s questionable whether even the 2.8 million number right before the penny promotion would have ever been achieved.
Domain investors who “bit the bait” at a penny a pop, are left with 10 more months during which they have to either flip these domains, or build web sites on them. The third option will be to drop, at renewal time, those that stand no chance to recover even a penny, plus the renewal fees.
Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If Alphabet (formerly Google) bought .web, it will be the battle of the Titans.

GOOGLE DOMAINS:

1. .XYZ
2. .WEB

VERISIGN:
1. .COM
2. .NET

Odds are that it was Verisign but if it was Alphabet, it will be a huge shakeup in the TLD industry. Let's wait and see. I think we will find out soon.

•••
We have about 6 of these .xyz but if they dont sell we probably wont renew them.

•••
We already know Verisign bought .web

•••

As long as the .XYZ numbers keep increasing – at whatever cost – these goals are quite possible to materialize.

At the moment .xyz are struggling a bit to grow.

1 .xyz 6,206,127 -1,779
2 .top 2,945,184 40,474

•••
We already know Verisign bought .web

Do you have a link for it?

Everything I have seen relies only on speculation. Knowing and speculating are two different things.

I think it was Verizon too but I haven't seen anything published from them indicating it was.

•••
At the moment .xyz are struggling a bit to grow.

1 .xyz 6,206,127 -1,779
2 .top 2,945,184 40,474

Yeah and I think that makes sense after doubling their registrations in less than 2 months.

The question is, can Daniel Negari do it again?

I think he can, you think he can't. But in terms of registration volume, the .XYZ naysayers have always been wrong (so far).

•••
Do you have a link for it?

Everything I have seen relies only on speculation. Knowing and speculating are two different things.

I think it was Verizon too but I haven't seen anything published from them indicating it was.

I think we can say that it wasn't Google because Charleston Road Registry bid at that auction.

As far as I know. Charleston Road Registry= Google. It would be highly unusual that they were bidding with two companies.

•••
I think we can say that it wasn't Google because Charleston Road Registry bid at that auction.

As far as I know. Charleston Road Registry= Google. It would be highly unusual that they were bidding with two companies.

I just checked online and there is an SEC Filing filed by Verisign. It looks like everyone was right. It hasn't been officially confirmed point blank but it is 99.9% there.

I guess Verisign picked up .WEB

•••
•••
•••
Getting acquired by a big Internet venture, or registrar, or Google themselves, would not be surprising either. Silicon Valley ventures and angel investors don’t follow the type of logic that average domain investors share.

As long as the .XYZ numbers keep increasing – at whatever cost – these goals are quite possible to materialize.

I noticed this with some of the YouTube MCNs (Multi-Channel Network).

A lot of the startups did the best they could to accumulate a massive amount of members. Then a few of them sold out shortly afterwards. I think StyleHaul (a YouTube MCN) might have done this but I cannot remember the exact ones.

•••
It would be incredibly interesting if google bought xyz and started branding with it.

xyz seems to fit with google very nicely. They go together but I don't know why. A kind of brand harmony.

•••
It would be incredibly interesting if google bought xyz and started branding with it.

xyz seems to fit with google very nicely. They go together but I don't know why. A kind of brand harmony.

That would ultimately be the best outcome @Wannabean and I think it will largely rest on the MIIT approval in China. But again, it's not guaranteed either way. But I always suspected that Google's Alphabet would collaborate with .XYZ much more in the future!

•••
This is off-topic but depending on how things go, there is a chance that Verisign will buy into the nGTLD industry. If a lot of them do poorly on their own it would be a perfect time to move in. Their purchase of .WEB indicates that they at least see GTLDs as a minor threat.

Unless Verisign shelves .WEB, I think this is good for GTLDs. They probably have a PLAN A, and PLAN B.

PLAN A:
- Shelve .web to maintain .com's dominance.

PLAN B:
- Deeper their involvement in the GTLD Industry and aggressively market .WEB

Last edited:
•••
.web is probably one of the worst ones. I don't get it at all. Makes me think of Spider-Man.

•••
.web is probably one of the worst ones. I don't get it at all. Makes me think of Spider-Man.

Spider.Web lol

As I have said before, it is another .NET

1. InterNET

2. WEBsite

•••

alphabet is the name of a holding company just like charleston road registry is the name of the google registry. Both names are never seen by the consumer. They are not intended as brands.

Google could brand .xyz for shareholder or company news though.

Last edited:
•••
Google could brand .xyz for shareholder or company news though.

Google already uses .xyz for shareholder and company news, and in reality they can use .xyz for anything they want.

https://abc.xyz/investor/

Keep in mind that this is a foward thinking company that moves slowly. You should already know that large companies adjust their brand in small steps while brand-new startups and smaller companies can change their name, brand and strategy at the drop of a dime.

EXAMPLE:
1st:
abc.xyz
2nd: unfiltered.news
3rd: domains.google

(they are moving towards nGTLDs but step by step)

I think that is also why Verisign didn't get that involved in the GTLD industry. High risk manuevers are shunned more often in large companies than tinier ones.

Last edited:
•••
EXAMPLE:
1st:
abc.xyz
2nd: unfiltered.news
3rd: domains.google
I think that spreading your online presence across so many different extensions dilutes your brand dramatically. It's one reason why subdomains are will widespread ie mail.google.com. But mail.google could do, just like domains.google - at least this is consistent and brand-centric.

•••
I could see Alphabet (Google) acquiring .XYZ and more new gTLDs if they decide to aggressively participate in this space. It appears to me they are still testing the waters to see if they really want to dominate this business, and if they like what they see or the potential future they envision, they'd have no problem buying .XYZ and other TLDs they want. They might want to acquire .TECH from Radix too. How about .ninja? It makes sense to me!

•••
Inless than one year .xyz will have half of the domain they have today... the renewall cost will make that happend...

•••
Inless than one year .xyz will have half of the domain they have today... the renewall cost will make that happend...

That's what most domainers on NamePros have said every time about the next renewal cycle, and each time Daniel Negari has pulled a rabbit out of the hat and proved the naysayers wrong.

•••
That's what most domainers on NamePros have said every time about the next renewal cycle, and each time Daniel Negari has pulled a rabbit out of the hat and proved the naysayers wrong.

Only last hope is, Google has to acquire xyz.

•••

I gess 90% of new domains wont be renew... it is easy to register a domain when it cost cents... but at $8 or $9 most people think a bit harder...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back