Domain Empire

sales GoDaddy sells Beijing.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
According to whois records, GoDaddy’s newly acquired domain name Beijing.com which it acquired with the $28 Million purchase of Marchex domain name portfolio has been sold! Update: GoDaddy has confirmed the sale.
The domain Beijing.com has changed registrants this morning to a Ivy Wong at eName Technology Co.,Ltd.
Beijing is the capital of China with a population of over 21 million people.
Denver.com sold for a confirmed “seven figure deal” in 2012.
Korea.com sold for $5 Million in 2000.

This is easily a seven-figure sale.

Find the complete news on TheDomains

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not close. The top 4 are maybe million dollar domains to the absolute right buyer. Folks here act like it's common to see 7 figure sales. It's not. For example, locksmiths is more like very low 6 figures, not even close to $1.5...

And I think if the price of Beijing is made public it will shock many because of the low selling point.
Agree with @Keith , although Saving.com is the best name after Beijing..

•••
•••
is eName Technology Co.,Ltd. a government firm of china? What is the usage of beijing.com ...

ename is the largest domain name registrar in china , like godaddy in US /UK , but it is not the government

•••
Revised Appraisals

Beijing.com 7 million
Futbol.com 5 million
Destination.com 3 million
Deportes.com 3 million
Cuisine.com 3 million
Lasers.com 1.5 million
TourGuide.com 1 million
Corporations.com 1 million
KungFu.com 1 million
Saving.com 500k
Remodeling.com 500k
Refinancing.com 500k
Delis.com 500k
Locksmiths.com 500k

. . . Definitely end user valuations that could be attained with some persistence, patience & timing.

Regardless, Godaddy made out like a bandit!

•••
Mind you; Domains are worth what the buyer can pay and nothing more. All the analogies above may not work when the beholder arrive at what they are willing to pay. The only analogy that could work is when the seller is able to wait patiently until a suitable beholder arrived.
There is no any lay down rule or actual yardstick for domain sales, though, they are valuables but you may continue waiting and waiting until you are unable to wait anymore and sometime sells cheaper than the actual worth.
Cheers and good luck to GD

•••
i think marchex had listed it for 1-2 years for 2-3 million. the domain did not sell.

Now it sold within 1 month after being listed @ godaddy.

That likely means it sold for far less than 2-3 million. I would guess 1 million perhaps even less.

•••
One thing is that this is an aged domain. The other factor is that Godaddy has a good email list of its premium domain buyers. I guess it sold for more $10M

•••
I think some you guys are underestimating the value of Beijing.com and overestimating the value of the other ones.

I mean Beijing.com could be a $10 million dollar domain.. because the Chinese market is so valuable.. and china.com beijing.com and shanghai.com would be the three best domains one could possibly own in China.

but futbol.com? I'd say $200,000 max. there's even a whole registry .futbol that only cost $175,000.

•••
whatever the value of beijing.com might be, Godaddy sold very quick and early which means they sold too cheap! Marchex had listed it for a few years without selling.

•••
@brandnow and @dordomai As I Earlier quoted in domain sales it all depends with your sales strategy your email list, subscribers and more. Yes maybe Marchex had listed the domain on sale for a long time, but how many domain buyers knew about it. When it came to auction on Godaddy platform... millions, billions....had knowledge of this auction.

I concur with @brandnow this may have sold for more than $10 million

•••
Revised Appraisals

Beijing.com 7 million
Futbol.com 5 million
Destination.com 3 million
Deportes.com 3 million
Cuisine.com 3 million
Lasers.com 1.5 million
TourGuide.com 1 million
Corporations.com 1 million
KungFu.com 1 million
Saving.com 500k
Remodeling.com 500k
Refinancing.com 500k
Delis.com 500k
Locksmiths.com 500k

. . . Definitely end user valuations that could be attained with some persistence, patience & timing.

Regardless, Godaddy made out like a bandit!

Too optimistic IMO. I'd say:

Beijing.com ... 10 million. Love it.
Futbol.com ... More like 500k...
Deportes.com ... No opinion.
Destination.com ... 3 million... Maybe... Actually, no: 1.5 million.
Cuisine.com ... 1 million.
Lasers.com ... 750k.
TourGuide.com ... 250k.
Corporations.com ... 500k.
KungFu.com ... 1 million... Huge brand so maybe.
Saving.com ... No opinion. Not a huge fan of the name.
Remodeling.com ... No opinion.
Refinancing.com ... 500k... Sounds right.
Delis.com ... 250k.
Locksmiths.com ... More like 150k.

No, I don't sell names in that price range so just IMO.

•••
The only three worth 1 million or more are
Beijing.com
Cuisine.com
Saving.com

the rest are $15,000 - $300,000 IMO
with Futbol.com being worth $200,000 and Destination.com having a fair market value of $300,000

•••
It's fun too see what people think, one thing for sure is godaddy struck gold.

Of course it is all speculation - regardless of who is making the appraisals.

The estimates I wrote are definitely high end/end user

All of these could be substantially more valuable with sites making $ with affiliates, ads, private advertising sales, etc. Futbol.com for example is already 8xx,xxx in alexa as-is parked. Some futbol fans could make a nice site out of it in just a couple of weeks.

Surely if PrivateJet.com can sell for $30 million, one would think with $xxx,xxx investment in strategic development/brokerage, Godaddy could make $30 million with the best of the Marchex buyout.

Last edited:
•••
Surely if PrivateJet.com can sell for $30 million

I don't believe that privatejet.com sold for $30 million. That was the PR price not the real price if you ask me. As far as i remember the previous domain owner had commented on it and he suggested no way that went for 30 million. The privatejet.com price was never verified.

•••
I don't believe that privatejet.com sold for $30 million. That was the PR price not the real price if you ask me. As far as i remember the previous domain owner had commented on it and he suggested no way that went for 30 million. The privatejet.com price was never verified.

Here is a blast from the past thread about it:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/pr...e-highest-pure-domain-sale-ever.747442/page-2

Now PrivateJet.com forwards to JetSmarter.com
3000 Private Jets can be booked from their app...

Last edited:
•••
Privatejet.com wasn't a pure cash sale.

According to a Press release just out “”Nations Luxury Transportation, LLC (Nations) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Nations has acquired the domain name PrivateJet.com, from privately held Don’t Look Media.com, a leading intellectual property holding company, for $30.18 million in cash and stock.”

We don't know the percentage that was cash. You can issue stock from a newly formed company and value it at 1 billion. Then issue 500 million to the seller + 10k in cash and you have a legit 500 million sale.

Before the sale it had been sold for 375k on Sedo.

here is some other comment from some claiming to be the broker.

I brokered the sale of this domain name in 2006. The buyer — turned seller — is a cut-above businessman who is perfectly capable of negotiating a top-shelf sale.

However, tonight, after pausing to reflect upon a series of conversations he and I had about a year ago, observing that he is identified and quoted with a pseudonym in the news release, and knowing with certainty that several representations contained in the release are wildly overstated, it seems apparent that PrivateJet.com and its press representative are flying high without oxygen.

I find it puzzling, as well, that the buyer would shell-out $30 million for this anchor domain name, then balk at investing another $500 to more institutionally announce the acquisition via PRNewswire or Businesswire.

While I will reserve public comment on the reported $30-plus million cash/equity price tag, I’m pretty comfortable in observing that the news release doesn’t appear to pass the sniff test.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Good points dordomai.

In related news, Illuminati puppet boy Justin Bieber bought his own private jet for $60 million!

the price of the product is irrelevant. The market size matters. Does it matter if you sell 1 item for $1 million or 1 million items for $1?

The PPC for "private jet" on Adwords is fairly low. The search volume is low.

With $30 million you can buy far more traffic from Google forever.

I would guess that a domain with keywords like coffeetables.com from the Marchex portfolio have a higher advertising cost than private jet.

They asked 75k for it as far as i remember. We should price that at $10 million.

Last edited:
•••
the price of the product is irrelevant. The market size matters. Does it matter if you sell 1 item for $1 million or 1 million items for $1?

The PPC for "private jet" on Adwords is fairly low. The search volume is low.

With $30 million you can buy far more traffic from Google forever.

true, but jetsmarter positioned themselves to be

the leader in bridging available private jets with customers...

Commissions must be huge!

•••
true, but jetsmarter positioned themselves to be

the leader in bridging available private jets with customers...

Commissions must be huge!

I don't think that jetsmarter was the 30 million buyer. That's another company. The other may not even exist anymore.

Nations Luxury Transportation, LLC was the buyer. The only thing that i found about them was that they are the company who acquired the most expensive domain ever. Nice PR for an otherwise unknown company. Did they even have a real business besides from making a press release and putting up a simple wordpress blog?

Most likely a BS Sale.

Last edited:
•••
indeed, the privatejet.com sale quite possibly was a money washing PR stunt rolled into one...

•••
Yup. You're right. They are already working to resell Beijing.com

as far as i know kungfu.com and beijing.com were already listed at guta when they were still owned by marchex.

•••
How much about Beijing.com ?

•••
I'm a chinese. Like chongqing.com beijing.com how much money to buy ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back