Domain Empire

GoDaddy Backorder vs Pool for..

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Some days ago, I fond a great domain name on redemption period. This domain status changed to Pending Delete today.

The WhoIS show the following :

Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Name Server: PARK9.SECURESERVER.NET
Name Server: PARK10.SECURESERVER.NET
Updated Date: 25-jun-2004
Creation Date: 13-may-2002
Expiration Date: 13-may-2004

>>> Last update of whois database: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:23:18 EDT <<<

I always try to avoid Pool, for personnal reasons. I put a Snap on it (SnapNames) and a Backorder from GoDaddy.

Questions :

1- Does anyone of you has ever get a good domain name with Godaddy BackOrder service?

2- Is GoDaddy a "Partner" of Pool? I mean does GoDaddy "give" their expired domain names to Pool?

3- If a domain name is register with Godaddy (as the one i'm looking for), what is my change to grab it with their backorder service?

Does anyone here ever Backorder a name with GoDaddy Backorder services, that was register with GoDaddy? If so, did you get the names or GoDaddy fail to grab them, even if these domains were already register with them before to drop?

Thanks a lot!

Steve

P.S. Sorry for my english...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. Godaddy is considered the best value for money service because it has worked.

2. Emphatic answer: No, they are independent.

3. The system is not structured this way. A Godaddy backorder will not have an advantage in capturing a Godaddy registered name.

And keep up the distance from Pool! Poor service, inflated prices -- a generally bad way to spend precious investment money. :)

•••
And keep up the distance from Pool! Poor service, inflated prices -- a generally bad way to spend precious investment money. :)

I second that. I only use them now on the off chance that a good name will slip through the seams and not go to auction.

My judgement of the names that I have acquired there-
Have never gotten a deal and at best, have either gotten what I consider to be a break-even proposition or maybe a slim profit -say $30 on a $100 purchase. Generally could do better w/ FSBO auctions or sales boards at forums.

•••
Thanks guys!

I may be wrong, but I think Pool "share" the domains you try to backorder with them. This is why I don't want to put this one on pool. The name I am talking about is not a one word name, i haven't see this name on any dropping list yet, but this is a really good one.

IMHO, if I put this one on Pool, I don't know why, i'm pretty sure "others" will then know this one is dropping, and i'll have to paid xxx$ xxxx$ even xxxxx$ to got it!

I got some very good names the day after they drop, just using a lookup tool and register them manually. I got a bad feeling about Pool. MAYBE i'm wrong! But.. Anyways...

Do you guys really think that some companies (Domains for sale) really paid many thousand dollars each day to pool to acquire some domain names? Pool auction prices for good domains names are unbelievable. I really THINK some people there outbid you, but don't really paid the final prices.

You got xxxxx$ winning bid almost everyday, but only few are sell for that amount a week (DNjournal)...

Maybe i'm wrong, maybe there is some people who really buy some domains for thousand dollars a day at pool, cross their fingers and hope...

I must be wrong... But...

•••
I have similar paranoid feelings concerning Pool.

1) Are registrars, (or shills working in tandem w/ registrars that make the grab), possibly bidding on some of these names? Why does Pool keep bidding info and details of sales away from scrutiny?- at least let the active participants in on the details?

2) Are whois inquiries being monitored and, thus, tipping off registrars, (w/ their high tech software and "direct" registry connection) who havemuch, much better odds at making the grab than the rest of us?

3) To what extent is Pool responsible for inflating the backorder market?

4) Why doesn't Pool address any of these issues, which have been brought up a number of times before?:]

I have a feeling that at least someone at Pool monitors this forum. I had a problem listing a newly regged domain grabbed by one of their partners, that I wanted to list for sale(they wanted it transferred to NameScout but transfer could not be made due to 60 da rule), and after a week of no response to emails, the next morning -after posting here-, I received a response. Pool, what's your response to our uncertainty about your and/or your registrar partners practices:?:?

:-/

Last edited:
•••
Grrilla : Thanks! I'm not the only one to have these "paranoid" feelings! I feel better now! Gonna call my doc to cancel my appointment! ;)

I will feel much better if someone could tell me... What's going on between Pool and BuyDomains. BuyDomains got many good names per day (They are even grabbing french .ca domains! What's about the Canadien resident policy?). Many of them from pool, at incredible prices... "On Buydomains website, they claim to have "300,000 of the world's
finest domains for sale" and "Its team continues to identify and secure the rights to hundreds of additional premium domain names every day."...

Does anyone here believe that BuyDomains really buy these domains at the final prices show on Pool?

I don't want to accuse Pool or Buydomains, I just want to know...

300 000 x $60 (the minimum at pool, I saw many names they win at $x xxx if not $xx xxx) = $18 000 000... They buy some hundreds every day...

Still have these "paranoid feelings"...

hummm.. Doc, give me these pills!

•••
I think you need the pills, if you don't, at least to some extent, feel some paranoia in the world we humans have created. I would go as far as to say that having a degree of paranoia is now healthy and can be seen as part of our psychic evolution as humans.
:cy:

•••
Esger,

Witin months of Pool's established dominance top end prices began to climb astronomically. Yes, their consistent success brings in ppl who do not make a career out of catching domains - but quintupling of prices? What? Of course we should always question!

My advice to you if you want to get in the drop game. Look at niche markets now the still-sane First Name .org specialty service. Or beat Pool weeks ahead of time. ;)

•••
Grrilla : :lala: :notme: :D (One day we will know the true about all this...)

lotsofisues : "still-sane First Name .org specialty service" ???

Well, we are now far away from my first post.. ;)

Are my chances better to get a drop names from Godaddy backorder services if this name is already register with them?

They must drop the name and grab it before any other service (ex : Pool), even if I put a backorder on it?

Other question... Can the registrar, at the time the name is suppose to drop, only change the owner name and DNS, add an additionnal year without dropping the name? I mean... since Pool claim to ba able to grab the name the second (even faster..) it drop, is there any way to know if the name really drop or only a renewal has been made just before it was suppose to drop (add a year, changes contacts, dns etc.)

I know, i'm asking so many questions that could seem like "paranoia" for some people, but I really want to know, and you should also know...

Last edited:
•••
Are my chances better to get a drop names from Godaddy backorder services if this name is already register with them?
My understanding is that registrars, (besides having better scripts and faster servers than most of the rest of us), are more "plugged in" to the registries and have faster access to drops. However, there is no advantage that the *registrar* (where the name is deleting from) has in capturing a name from the *registry* it is dropping from. (Although my logic would tell me otherwise). I am a layman when it comes to actual logistics involved here, so hopefully there is a someone out there that can confirm and further explain what technically is going on.

Can the registrar, at the time the name is suppose to drop, only change the owner name and DNS, add an additionnal year without dropping the name? I mean... since Pool claim to ba able to grab the name the second (even faster..) it drop, is there any way to know if the name really drop or only a renewal has been made just before it was suppose to drop (add a year, changes contacts, dns etc

I sure as he~~ hope not. Strictly from a business sense, if they did this they would be courting disaster by totally losing credibility (instead of partially, as is the case, now). I would hope that ICANN and the registries would have some rules in place that would prohibit and penalize this activity.

•••
Thanks Grrilla for your reply!

I don't know if there a way to find out if the domains really "drop" (even only 1 second). I was thinking about a php script to do the job... I'm not a PHP expert, so if someone could make (or know) a script that can do that, that could be very interesting...

The only thing the script should do is to make a whois each second (or more, don't know what is the maximum...) and notice status change from pending delete to available. I don't even want to register the domain, know the registrar etc.. I only want to be sure that premium names really drop... I got some doubts...

Thanks!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back