Dynadot

question GoDaddy Auctions - Time frame of expired domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Zona

Arizona WildcatsVIP Member
Impact
How long after a name expires at GoDaddy does it go to GoDaddy auctions?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Approx 45 days after but it depends on a few different things, like if the owner renews it, someone back orders it or how its handled by godaddy.

•••
It goes to auction approximately day 25.

Auctions end on day 35 and then go to closeout: $11, 10, 8, 5.

The owner has until day 45 to renew (at a premium, $80.00).

One can circumvent this fee by transferring the domain to another registrar.

By they way, even if you win the auction, the former owner can still renew -- up to day 45.

Last edited:
•••
Hi, I won a few auctions last night (not BIN) and I have paid for them and they all have this message "Expired domain ready on: 2015/06/16" does this mean the original/former owner has until then to take it back?

•••
Yes the original owner can renew it till then and you will be refunded your money back if they do.

•••
•••
Yes the original owner can renew it till then and you will be refunded your money back if they do.

I don't like that, I don't think they should auction it until the old owner has lost all renewal rights.

There's a lot about their practices I don't like.

•••
I don't like that, I don't think they should auction it until the old owner has lost all renewal rights.

There's a lot about their practices I don't like.

Not necessarily the greatest practice and I wish I didn't have to wait for the domain (and have lost some good ones to renewal), but it does allow us to get some cool stuff without fighting all the big dropcatchers... much easier for me to get a half decent name this way than via dropcatch. Also, it is in the TOS/Agreement that you agree to when purchasing the name - so its not like they aren't okay from a legal perspective. Just most people don't read agreements - but that really isn't their fault.

•••
Does anybody know how long after nobody bids or bought a Godaddy auction domain at $5 it goes back to the registry. In other words, how long after the listing expires can you go and hand reg a domain nobody wanted?

•••
Does anybody know how long after nobody bids or bought a Godaddy auction domain at $5 it goes back to the registry. In other words, how long after the listing expires can you go and hand reg a domain nobody wanted?

Typically, about 75-76 days after expiration.

However, I tracked one domain that didn't drop for over 100 days.

I eventually nabbed it (BTW, I'd rather not say what it is), but GD had no explanation as to why it took the domain so long to drop.

•••

I eventually nabbed it (BTW, I'd rather not say what it is), but GD had no explanation as to why it took the domain so long to drop.

Thanks Ms Domainer-

When does the 75-76 days start, according to the whois data? What is the best way to determine the exact day when a domain will be available?

•••
@Ms Domainer has a lot of good info on this. I will give you some more detail.

expired domains typically hit the auction day 26 after expiry for a 10 day auction. so 26-36. Then if they don't sell they go to a BIN dutch auction. $11,$10,$9,$8,$5. Day 43 after expiration is the day the winner of the auction should get the domain name moved to their account.

If there are no bidders/winners and no backorders on the names during the auction then the drop would happen on about day 76-77. The whois on a domain will update to pend delete status before a domain name drops. When it updates to pend delete you are looking at 5 days before the domain name drops from that update.

There are many variables around this it would take a lot of space to write it all. These are general guidelines which are most often the case on a .com name. Other tlds can have other rules around the drop.

There is a new domain sherpa that came out this week that will give you a lot more info on the drop and what happens http://www.domainsherpa.com/chris-ambler-domain-name-expiration/

•••

Sometimes they don't follow the "normal" drop cycle. Generally speaking names follow certain paths but not always. There are many reasons for exceptions.

•••
Sometimes they don't follow the "normal" drop cycle. Generally speaking names follow certain paths but not always. There are many reasons for exceptions.

I'm curious.

Could you share what some of those exceptions -- without going into specific domains --might be for .com domains?

•••
The sherpa interview goes into some more depth on exceptions. Different registrars follow different time frames you will need to ask them or look at the terms of service they have posted or both. Sometimes Verisign doesn't drop the names one day for some reason, maintenance say. There can be other technical issues at the registry. Sometimes there are legal reasons to hold a domain such as a court order. The main thing to watch out for on a .com name is the pend delete status on the whois, in almost every case if the status of the whois is pend delete the name drops in 5 days from that update.

•••
The sherpa interview goes into some more depth on exceptions. Different registrars follow different time frames you will need to ask them or look at the terms of service they have posted or both. Sometimes Verisign doesn't drop the names one day for some reason, maintenance say. There can be other technical issues at the registry. Sometimes there are legal reasons to hold a domain such as a court order. The main thing to watch out for on a .com name is the pend delete status on the whois, in almost every case if the status of the whois is pend delete the name drops in 5 days from that update.

In the case of the name I eventually snagged (it was a Go Daddy domain), I think it was in pending delete from day 76 onward, so it must have been a glitch.

To say the least, I was on tenterhooks!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back