NameSilo

news GoDaddy Acquires Name.com Domain Portfolio + Expiry Stream

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I detected a domain portfolio acquisition by GoDaddy’s NameFind, and the news was confirmed to me by the company yesterday afternoon. GoDaddy acquired an unknown number of domain names from the Name.com / Rightside domain name portfolio, which I believe was sold by Donuts. Up until earlier this year, Name.com was owned by Rightside, a company that was recently acquired by Donuts. GoDaddy also informed me that the Name.com expiry stream will now go to auction via GoDaddy Auctions...
Read More

The expired domain deal makes sense in the larger picture but was a bit of a surprise. Rightside owned NameJet until it sold Enom to Tucows. So that relationship no longer existed, freeing up Name.com to strike a deal with a new expired domain partner. I can see why GoDaddy wanted the expiry stream in conjunction with its portfolio purchase.
I imagine Donuts also gets a boost from establishing a larger relationship with GoDaddy, the largest registrar by far and one that can help move the needle on registrations of Donuts’ new top level domain names...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The expiry won't start flowing until early next year, but we're pretty excited about the portfolio and the forthcoming expiry stream!

•••
Very good, they should have started buying domain name portfolios earlier, but better late than never.

•••
Smart move for Godaddy.

Last edited:
•••
Has anyone looked into what are the best domains Godaddy that acquired from Name.com? Those things are always interesting.

•••
Has anyone looked into what are the best domains Godaddy that acquired from Name.com? Those things are always interesting.

I think map.com is the gem of the group

•••
@Paul Nicks

With these kind of acquisitions (and particularly the Name.com portfolio), does GoDaddy/Namefind re-price the domains/add BIN or do the BINs from the previous portfolio owner remain in place?

•••
@Paul Nicks

With these kind of acquisitions (and particularly the Name.com portfolio), does GoDaddy/Namefind re-price the domains/add BIN or do the BINs from the previous portfolio owner remain in place?

We re-price everything. Our philosophy is to put BIN on 95%+ of our names at prices that are reasonable for a small business. The remaining 5% or so we set as make offer because those typically require more finesse to sell.

•••
Can this be a sticky comment? :)

We re-price everything. Our philosophy is to put BIN on 95%+ of our names at prices that are reasonable for a small business. The remaining 5% or so we set as make offer because those typically require more finesse to sell.

•••
•••
How long before there is a conflict of interest with regards to Godaddy auctions ? Can Godaddy withhold expiring domains for their portfolio or bid in their own auctions ?

•••
Godaddy is the biggest domainer :)

•••
Domain Oligarchy imo, and definitely not good " for the rest of us " as a few giants are killing the free market.

Maybe one will soon come and try to make domaining great again.

•••
Hi Paul,

Congratulations with the acquisition(s). Can you share with us what the end-game for Godaddy is in terms of acquiring quality portfolio's?

Kind regards,

Reza

•••
I think map.com is the gem of the group
That is a great domain! Must be worth millions to the right buyer - would even work as a nice brand instead of something that has to directly do with maps.

•••
How long before there is a conflict of interest with regards to Godaddy auctions ? Can Godaddy withhold expiring domains for their portfolio or bid in their own auctions ?

We do not and will not scrape from our expiry to build out our portfolio. This is why we keep buying private portfolios, because we refuse to bid against our customers on the expiry market.

•••
Hi Paul,

Congratulations with the acquisition(s). Can you share with us what the end-game for Godaddy is in terms of acquiring quality portfolio's?

Kind regards,

Reza

Well, the end game is to sell as many as we can to end users and help them build out a life-fulfilling venture
on the ideal domain.

•••
That is a great domain! Must be worth millions to the right buyer - would even work as a nice brand instead of something that has to directly do with maps.

Yeah, it's a great name but one that will take a very long time to find the right owner for. The ones we sell every day are the $2k-$5k 2 or 3 word names that fit an SMBs budget and business plan.

•••
@Paul Nicks
Does this acquired domain portfolio contain also .top domains?
Or merely .com domains?
If you know it, you are welcome to let us know if you want to do so.

Last edited:
•••
@Paul Nicks
Does this acquired domain portfolio contain also .top domains?
Or merely .com domains?
If you know it, you are welcome to let us know if you want to do so.

I'm going to leave the .top investment to you

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back