Dynadot

GoDaddy 100% Front running domains through 123 reg

NameSilo
Watch

Bhaswerve

Impact
OK so this has happened to me twice in a fortnight.
I search a domain name and it's available on 123 Reg. I tell my client who searches for it almost immediately and it's no longer available but can be bought if you pay Go Daddy a broker fee and then a substantially increased price for the domain.

Twice in two weeks! Not a coincidence.

Go Daddy this is front running and totally unethical and I will video the next attempt to prove what you are doing!

Anyone else have the same issues recently?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Use another registrar like porkbun or dynadot.

•••
Have you checked the Whois to see when it was registered?

•••
Sometimes, a domain shows as available when it's actually not. I've had this happen at plenty of registrars. As Cooljub said, check the registration dates on these domains so you can have a higher degree of certainty. I'm sure you already did this if you're claiming "100%", though, right? If not, we need to bump that % down.

•••
•••
I did the same thing but when i looked at the whois i found there is a glitch on the domain name search sometimes

•••
I search a domain name and it's available on
Search for unregistered domains …
1. Do a WHOIS lookup (terminal or online Whois)
2. Not registered yet? Cool
3, Go to any registrar and register.

•••
Do a WHOIS lookup (terminal or online Whois)

I do not trust those public whois lookup websites so the terminal is the best option for me.

•••
I search a domain name and it's available on 123 Reg. I tell my client who searches for it almost immediately and it's no longer available but can be bought if you pay Go Daddy a broker fee and then a substantially increased price for the domain.

Go Daddy this is front running and totally unethical and I will video the next attempt to prove what you are doing!

If course and, but doesn't this look suspect as well? Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230921_073329_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230921_073329_Chrome.jpg
    993.8 KB · Views: 23
•••

Stop looking up domains you want on godaddy and they can't front run. Check on whois to see. But never never look up domains on godaddy only when you are ready to pull the trigger right then.

•••

This happened to me today with GoDaddy. Domain name was available in the morning and then registered by the afternoon.

What a joke!

I feel like I can't trust them enough to make a complaint about it as talking to them about the name will only create more demand for it and they'll put the price up!

Feeling absolutely swindled!

•••
This happened to me today with GoDaddy. Domain name was available in the morning and then registered by the afternoon.

What a joke!

I feel like I can't trust them enough to make a complaint about it as talking to them about the name will only create more demand for it and they'll put the price up!

Feeling absolutely swindled!

What was the domain? Did Godaddy even register it?

It doesn't sense for a registrar to do this. They can't just register every name people search for, and I don't think it would be worth their time to have someone go through all searched names to try and find things worth registering. They would still have to pay the Registry and ICANN to register the domains, so this would be very cost prohibitive, on the off chance that you might want to buy the name for more money later.

I think it is much more likely to be a coincidence.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back