Domain Empire

Global brand in trouble?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I just cruised through some websites and made a shocking discovery.

A huge leading global brand recently launched a new product, which is all fair and good. BUT, not only do we happen to own the exact match .com domain for that product, we've also been the owner of a trademark (for 5 years now) for that exact word - registered in almost all classes.

Now, if we were Apple, we would sue them for all they've got, but we're not. We've hired some lawyers to take all options into consideration.

Anyone else ever been in this kind of situation?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
LOL

What gave you the foresight & motivation to reg a TM in "almost all classes"

Almost all 34 classes?
Money no object eh?
In what jurisdictions?

What products & services have you exactly launched since filing?
And your product/service is SO GREAT & WIDE it just so happens to cover almost ALL (max 34 possible) classes of your filed TM? ROFL

Broadly speaking, a TM is only valid if products or services are used in commerce

Otherwise it ain't worth doggie doo

Frankly, it's a tall tale.
Something doesn't add up.

And my money's on the big guy

•••
Aggro, we covered multiple classes due to our products crossing several classes. It was more like 24 classes, not all 45. We own several TM's, all brandable "made-up" words, all actively used.

For us it is definitely not a money issue, it's a matter of protecting our brand against copycats. In case you didn't know it, a lot of brands register their TM's in ALL classes these days, yes ALL 45 - I don't think I have to explain why.

When a company is scaling, expanding and venturing into new business opportunities, you don't want to waste time on legal battles because someone felt like registering your brand name in what we refer to as "untouched territory".

•••
I'm interested in hearing the outcome of this. Keep us updated OP :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back