IT.COM

Further evidence of India's preference of .co.in over .in?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I was just checking availability of a bunch of names in .in and .co.in that I was thinking of registering and found something interesting.
One of the names I checked was excelsior.co.in and .in.The .co.in version was very recently registered by a company called Excelsior Fabrics in Mumbai.
That means they had the choice to buy either .in, .co.in, or both.They chose only the .co.in.
This is the second time I noticed this happening.The other time was Clarity.co.in and .in.A company called Clarity Technologies registered only the co.in.
Though it's a nice name,I didn't pick up excelsior.in,but I couldn't resist adding Clarity to my small .in collection.

As we already know from previous India threads that .co.in is getting all the traffic and leads in aftermarket sales.I know it's still early in the game,but it seems .co.in has a very noteworthy lead over .in.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There will be 1000's of cases where .co.in is available but not .in :)

Thanks,
Pratik

•••
pratiknaik said:
There will be 1000's of cases where .co.in is available but not .in :)

Thanks,
Pratik

This is very true, but chunks of those .in's are owned by resellers and investors.I'm up to about 10 .in myself now.I'm just trying to illustrate that actual businesses registering a name for thier own use seem to be choosing .co.in.

•••
Yes .co.in like .co.uk is gaining more popularity over .in lately.

Regards

•••
.co.in sounds more professional when compared to .in :imho:!

•••
co.in means company.india dosen't it? I would rather have .co.uk than .uk for my uk based business (not that we have any choice of course)

•••
Interesting, Thanks Matt :tu:

I am finding the same thing, it seems all the investors and junkies jumped on the .in because it is shorter an they think that it will be more popular when the fact is india is already on the .co.in!

•••
.IN are slowly getting recognition in India. I've been seeing commericial ads ( ebay.in airtel.in [email protected], etc. ) very frequently.

-Pratik

•••
Matt initially posted that 5 months ago is it still the same? or Is .in gaining any? Thank you

•••
I also have been following the .co.in and .in and noticed the same trend i have 39 in,co,in domains and most of the traffic i receive are the .co.ins

It is nice to see others notice this, i still register both extensions though, i really like the community buzzz surrounding the extension and was extremely happy to see India that is increasing in IT daily by leaps and bounds be awarded there own extension.

•••
I admit .IN seemed more attractive to me at first, but now after researching and reading more, I've grabbed quite a few nice .CO.IN domains too, and feel good about both sectors of India's name space. :)

Last edited:
•••
I´ve ofcourse registered both .co.in and .in for my business. :)

•••
Wow! Nice to see my old thread resurrected! 5 months later my co.in's are still getting alot more traffic than my .IN.I register OVT with extension co.in every month.Over half of what I register is Type-in,not Typo.Mostly acronyms.Some of my premium .IN barely get 5 uniques a month.
co.in/.in is a weird situation,as we all know. .IN is shorter and generally more "attractive", but co.in has been ingrained into India for years,so they're not just going to forget about it overnight and switch to .IN.
All the major sites are co.in,and everyone's Yahoo email in India is @yahoo.co.in. co.in is the gold standard and a bit more professional looking IMO. .IN is the cool ,more expensive,new kid trying to make a name for himself.Both will have thier niche I think.

•••
Agree with Matt. But I guess it's likely that new sites are gonna be .IN and .CO.IN would exist as a powerful legacy you cannot get rid of.

-Pratik

P.S -> I got myself typo.in :P But it has more to do with blogging..

•••
This analogy may be a bit of a stretch,but I think most will agree there's some level of truth to it:

COM is to CO.IN as .US is to .IN. COM and CO.IN were both there first,have a "CO" element implying commerce and professionalism,and have had years of mass acceptance.
COM is essentially a child of the USA,but when .US was introduced, companies didn't immediately embrace it and switch because it's shorter.
.US is still in the midst of an uphill battle for acceptance.Even years later,very few major companies use it as thier main home on the web.And even the best .US names get relatively few natural type-in's. Your average Suzie Websurfer still has no clue there's a .US.
.IN is almost the same thing.It's shorter and looks better on paper.Logic would dictate it's "better" in every way,but it's just not because of history.
It's tough to take on history.It will be VERY hard for India to break it's longtime habit of co.in.
The FUTURE looks very bright for both .US and .IN,but in the PRESENT,I am making my money on co.in. I think Wot would agree too :)

•••
Nice post makes a lot of sense. IMO

•••
The establishment of .co.in is definitely what's keeping it in the game. It's definitely similar to the .com and .us analogy stateside. People are creatures of habit and now it's looking like my decision to stick with the .co.in names might pay off in the end. At least I hope it will.

•••
Disagree in part:
1. The Internet boom has just started off in India - India is witnessing the world's fastest Internet sector growth currently. (this happened with the mobile / telecom revolution 4 years ago, around time when reliance launched the All-India 10$ multimedia mobile phone... and today India is all hooked up and India has the world's cheapest long-distance call rates - as low as 1.5cents/min). I believe, .IN has come just at the right and perfect time, and with time, it will outgrow .co.ins.
2. Secondly, .co.in looks nice and professional as far as companies are concerned, but domains are not just about Company businesses... are they? .CO.IN has been there for years now, and was open for registration to regd TM companies only. This is the reason why .CO.IN names look clicking at the moment... but, as the Indians get more connected in the next 2-4 years, .INwill rule
3. In any case, .CO.IN or .IN long-live both!!! (Personally, I have a huge investment at stake in them during the pre-rgistration / sunrise application days)

Good Luck to all .IN and .CO.IN domainers!

Last edited:
•••
•••
Mole i think you might have a smallish TM issue there :hehe:

•••
tipsfromthetop said:
Mole i think you might have a smallish TM issue there :hehe:
I think Mole was referring to why did Ebay choose the .in ove the .co.in.

Frank

•••
knarfmusik said:

Frank
That's what! I was just referring that just as when .IN opened up, people will shift over to it in a few months' time. There is no doubt that .co.in will be nowhere close to .in (but I love them both ;) )

•••
Dillpup said:
This analogy may be a bit of a stretch,but I think most will agree there's some level of truth to it:

COM is to CO.IN as .US is to .IN. COM and CO.IN were both there first,have a "CO" element implying commerce and professionalism,and have had years of mass acceptance.
COM is essentially a child of the USA,but when .US was introduced, companies didn't immediately embrace it and switch because it's shorter.
.US is still in the midst of an uphill battle for acceptance.Even years later,very few major companies use it as thier main home on the web.And even the best .US names get relatively few natural type-in's. Your average Suzie Websurfer still has no clue there's a .US.
.IN is almost the same thing.It's shorter and looks better on paper.Logic would dictate it's "better" in every way,but it's just not because of history.
It's tough to take on history.It will be VERY hard for India to break it's longtime habit of co.in.
The FUTURE looks very bright for both .US and .IN,but in the PRESENT,I am making my money on co.in. I think Wot would agree too :)

Nice point mate...i agree...Its the .co.in that the people are more familiar with.but in the case of .in and .co.in its not gonna make much of the difference in the long run. It will take just matter of months for .ins and .co.ins to run side by side...i think IMHO.

•••
knarfmusik said:

Frank

hehe aye, just posted a giggle though :)

•••
Ebay.co.in redirects to ebay.in so they have both.

There are arguments for both extensions. It does seem that the majority of .in have been regged by non indian individuals and companies.

Most people where not even aware that .co.in were going to be released for general registration at the same time as .in.

Most were not aware that .co.in was well established but highly restricted for registration until 16th Feb, major window of opportunity that went begging by the majority.

My .co.in still get 95% of the traffic, the .in are definitely also rans, that of course does not mean that will always be the case - more companies will want to have both extensions to protect their net space so I foresee only good things for both extensions.

Massive market, almost three times as many people (potential netizens than the the well hyped .eu with it's multitude of languages ready to cause confusion)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back