Domain Empire

First time bidding at NameJet auction, any Tips?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I want to bid for the first time at the NameJet.com auction, any Tips?

Do's and don'ts? / "Sniping" Tips?

:gn::bingo:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do not bid until 6 minutes are left (set a reminder). Any bid within the last 5 minutes will extend the auction another 5 minutes. Good luck!

•••
I see a domain at the NameJet auction: namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/BrowseDomains.aspx?

It says Type: PreRelease (with 1 bid)

To join, I always first have to "Backorder" before the "Time Left" time there?
And after this the actual auction begins?

Not all that clear for me..

•••
Yes, you got it!

PreRelease just means the domain is in the phase where Namejet hasn't acquired it yet but will try to if someone bids on it. If more than one person bids on it then it'll enter into a private auction with the people who bid on it during the PreRelease phase. To get into this auction you just have to bid the minimum of $69.

So if everything stays the same and you also bid on it then about 24 hours after Namejet acquires the domain the auction will start (lasts 2-3 days) and it'll be you and the other bidder in the auction to obtain the domain. That is when you shouldn't bid until the 6 minute mark as I posted above.

•••
There is no problem/risk with waiting to Backorder until the last hour right?

So to Backorder just before before the "Time Left" time ends is ok?

In that way I avoid that the domain will show with multiple bids.

Last edited:
•••

As long as you get your bid in before the clock expires you should be fine.

•••
Thank you all for your replies! To bad, the domain was gone two days before Backorder Time ended, I asked NameJet why:

"Reviewing the whois for this domain I see that NameJet did not catch the domain when it was deleted. Remember that pending delete domains are available for anyone to register. While we have many partner registrars and we have a very high success rate, other registrars are competing for many of the same names. Unfortunately the domain was picked up by another registrar, therefore it cannot be auctioned at NameJet.

The domain will be added to your Wish List for the future and will retain your previous bid amount. Should the name become available again, you will be notified by email. There is never a charge unless a domain is awarded to you. If you are no longer interested in the name, you should be able to delete it from your backorders in about 7 days.

I hope this has clarified the process for you. If you have any additional questions regarding this matter, please let us know"

•••
•••

Backordering and Bidding are 2 different things. I was talking about placing a bid on the domain if it's in auction already (more than 2 people have backordered and Namejet has grabbed the domain already). Backordering is placing a backorder bid on the domain before it's in auction (Namejet doesn't have the domain yet). There are 2 ways to approach this and I can see both ways.

If you wait until the last minute to put in the backorder then you might help the domain skirt under the radar and be the only one to bid on the domain getting it for the minimum price.

However, I always try to bid as soon as possible as there are two reasons for this. If you are the first to backorder and others backorder after you but don't bid when it goes to auction then you win it with the minimum price. Also, Namejet only has so much resources and bandwidth to grab these domains before someone else does so if there are multiple bids on a domain they may use more resources to try to grab it assuring it'll go into auction. If someone just backorders at the last second then they may not think it's worth their time to grab it or may just use very little bandwidth to do so.

I hope this helps some, feel free to ask any more questions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back