IT.COM

opinion Finally started 1ST NP domain auction! Did I do it right?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Hello NP. So I finally took a leap of faith and finally started an NP domain auction. I have to admit. I was quite hesitant seeing the dismal final sold prices at these auctions. I figured it was pointless. I've been on here for a while and never did post domains for auction. I've noticed the "slick" ways people set up their auctions.

I think my first mistake was not putting in the title headers words like "No Reserve" or "Starting $1"

That usually gets eyes on it. But paranoid me of course thinks "well what if I only get a $1" bid? that would suck royally now wouldn't it?

Especially if I didn't reg for those dotster $1.99 specials in the past.

Is it just me who worries about this? how do you domainers handle it? like how do you justify in your heads risking putting your domains at auction on NP only to be sold for $1?

I don't about you but I'd probably shoot myself in the face! lol

But thank God the ones I've listed were from those Netfirms $1.99 specials.

I might change the "reserve" price in a bit but I'll leave it till someone complains or no bids come in.

So how do you Domain Hot Shots do it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's a risk but sometimes I take it. :whistle:

Most people here are resellers (probably more than most judging by auction prices.) I usually start mine at $1 to get more bids and views.

(y)

Last edited:
•••
It's a risk but sometimes I take it. :whistle:

lol We are ALL gamblers here! lol

Ever panicked to the point of not moving? like anxiety? I think that's what's prevented me from listing on here and even listing on Godaddy or Sedo.

like what if no one bids? or even worse someone bids once and that's it.

You really really have to be super confident of your domain choices.

The idea of paying to listing your domains for auction win or lose the winners are the marketplaces.

in thee end it's all a numbers game.

•••
Sometimes I win sometimes I don't... as in the ending price for names I sell. Hard to know what will sell for high amounts except liquid names.

If you get a couple of people that really want the name then you probably hit the jackpot.

•••
I also think also for the big boys like mike mann or whoever it's all about exposure online.

I can only imagine what kind of huge budgets they have on Google adwords or paying for ads on domainer news sites. it almost makes me wanna start my own domainer website. but the domain space is so saturated already. and I'm not that creative that people will keep visiting whatever site I create for domainers. lol

•••
If you're worried about getting $1 for it and wouldn't be happy with that, then just go a little higher, Starting $5, or Starting $10

Its the same as reserve so just set a price you would be happy with and anything above that is a bonus

•••
If you're worried about getting $1 for it and wouldn't be happy with that, then just go a little higher, Starting $5, or Starting $10

Its the same as reserve so just set a price you would be happy with and anything above that is a bonus

True true. But the fact that $1 starting gets more views is too significant to ignore. It's the whole bargain basement mentality. Rummaging thru $1 clearance bin lol

•••
I might change the "reserve" price in a bit but I'll leave it till someone complains or no bids come in.

Reserve prices are not allowed on NP auctions as per NP rules

•••
True true. But the fact that $1 starting gets more views is too significant to ignore. It's the whole bargain basement mentality. Rummaging thru $1 clearance bin lol

If the domain is in the subject line and someone wants the name, having $1 or $5 start wont change the amount of views too much, so rather have a slightly higher starting point.

If you think thats the case, then put $1 Start in the subject and put a reserve as well, at least you get them to open the thread then. :xf.smile:

•••
how can i sell on namepros any idea?

•••
Is it just me who worries about this? how do you domainers handle it? like how do you justify in your heads risking putting your domains at auction on NP only to be sold for $1?

I don't about you but I'd probably shoot myself in the face! lol
Please don't shoot yourself! Before you put a domain on auction you should ask yourself - why!?
If you have the answer than you probably will easy determine your starting price! I have seen a lot of auctions starting even at $0! As you know this is a reseller market therefor you must be sometimes prepared to face the reality that the domain isn't worth even $1 to the pros. Timing and luck also sometimes determines the selling price. I have read about storys how fellow domainers where not able to find a buyer on nP for even $1 but they have sold the domains later to endusers.
I personally like the auctions here, especially because sometimes I get in touch with interesting people from all over the world. And at the end of the day you won't get rusty if you push or transfer a domain from time to time to or from an exotic registrar! :xf.smile:

•••
Reserve prices are not allowed on NP auctions as per NP rules

"Technically" saying "start $1" is sort of a "reserve" isn't it? Lol I know I know a reserve would be the price after $1 that I would allow my domain to sell.

But Saying "Start $1" means "I'm not letting this go for 99 cents!" Lol

•••
"Technically" saying "start $1" is sort of a "reserve" isn't it? Lol I know I know a reserve would be the price after $1 that I would allow my domain to sell.

But Saying "Start $1" means "I'm not letting this go for 99 cents!" Lol
What did you put up for auction? Any success?

•••
What did you put up for auction? Any success?

Some 7N.coms and 6n.nets

(Don't ask about the .nets total rookie move) immediately right after someone listed 6n.coms here that just dropped! Damnit?

That's when the floor on 6n.coms caved in.

But the .nets have their .com counterparts most owned by Chinese for years. Figured the
.nets have value.

Last edited:
•••
Congrats on your 1st NP auction by the way. I thought exactly the same when I listed my first auction on here, but was prepared to let it go even if it was only for $1! (it actually sold for $11).

Listing at $1 No Reserve does get views, and I always listed these as 24hr auctions to make them more time sensitive. Admitably, I don't list as many auctions on here as I used too as to be quite honest, domains tend to go for little to nothing on here these days.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back