NameSilo

Filing a complaint against a registrar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AKS5

Established Member
Impact
How and where can I file a complaint against a registrar?

The problem is that Afternic is neither sending me the payment for a domain that I sold nor letting me know when will I get the payment. They are also not responding to my emails. The last I heard from them was when I asked about not receiving the payment, I was simply told that the payment was released to their payment provider. Ever since I haven't received the payment. Also, they are not informing me when or if I will ever receive it. Even though I have requesting them to inform me when will I receive the money in my bank but nothing from them.

So I have waited long enough and since they are completely ignoring the issue, I don't think I have any other options but to report them.

Can anyone please help me as to how and where should I report them? What are my options?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its probably a fake buyer. I have sold a name before and the payment never came through.

They should at least reply to you or answer your calls. Unfortunately filing a compaint will do nothing, they are usually covered in their fine print (terms and conditions)

•••
Its probably a fake buyer. I have sold a name before and the payment never came through.

They should at least reply to you or answer your calls. Unfortunately filing a compaint will do nothing, they are usually covered in their fine print (terms and conditions)

Gilescoley thank you for a quick response. It was purchased through Afternic BIN Fast-transfer and the person paid and got the domain transferred to them right away.

•••
Afternic is not a registrar.

•••
•••
Afternic reply in max 4 Days, Check your email junk folder, maybe you didn't see it.

•••
•••
Have you tried putting a call through to them?

It'd be difficult to ignore that.

Besides, there's very little you can do against a company as big as Afternic.

•••
The question: what is the payment status in afternic history? a) scheduled b) paid c) neither.

If they did not yet send the payment - then just ask them why. Maybe there was a chargeback from the buyer and you should actually retreive the domain back.

If they sent the payment - then it is another story. They definitely instructed their payment provider to deliver the payment. So it is a technical pmt routing/delivery issue which should be escalated as such.

Practical tip:
Afternic support ( service@ ) may not always respond in timely fashion or adequately, so it makes sense to compose requests as short and concretely as possible...

Last edited:
•••
How long has it been since the transfer? They are known to be slow to payout in the past.

•••
As @tonyk2000 replied "...it makes sense to compose requests as short and concretely as possible..."

I would also add that you should ensure you are using your email address that is registered with them, and select the correct service and department that you are enquiring about.

I've found that if you do these things you will hear back from them within 3-4 days.

Last edited:
•••
Have you tried putting a call through to them?

It'd be difficult to ignore that.

Besides, there's very little you can do against a company as big as Afternic.
No, it is a small amount and international call charges from my country are huge.

•••
.. The last I heard from them was when I asked about not receiving the payment, I was simply told that the payment was released to their payment provider...

How long have you been waiting?

Have you checked that your banking details with Afternic were up to date at the time of the sale?

•••
The question: what is the payment status in afternic history? a) scheduled b) paid c) neither.

If they did not yet send the payment - then just ask them why. Maybe there was a chargeback from the buyer and you should actually retreive the domain back.

If they sent the payment - then it is another story. They definitely instructed their payment provider to deliver the payment. So it is a technical pmt routing/delivery issue which should be escalated as such.

Practical tip:
Afternic support ( service@ ) may not always respond in timely fashion or adequately, so it makes sense to compose requests as short and concretely as possible...

Thank you for the help, tonyk2000. As for the status of payment, I have posted the screenshot below.
upload_2020-8-17_18-5-36.png

•••
•••
As @tonyk2000 replied "...it makes sense to compose requests as short and concretely as possible..."

I would also add that you should ensure you are using your email address that is registered with them, and select the correct service and department that you are enquiring about.

I've found that if you do these things you will hear back from them within 3-4 days.
Thank you, Craig. I am using the registered email address and my emails short and are to the point. Only if Afternic staff had 1% of the empathy you guys are showing and wanted to resolve the issue, this wouldn't have happened.

•••
How long have you been waiting?

Have you checked that your banking details with Afternic were up to date at the time of the sale?

Yes, they were. However, I received their email and had to click next next next. They released funds to the payment provider on 27th July(although sale went through on 9th July) after I had updated(according to Afternic) my payment details.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, they were. However, I received their email and had to click next next next. They released funds to the payment provider on 27th July(although sale went through on 9th July) after I had updated(according to Afternic) my payment details.
IMO that may have raised some flags.
The payment provider may be checking about recent changes to your account.

Last edited:
•••
I was simply told that the payment was released to their payment provider. Ever since I haven't received the payment.

Hi,

Sometimes your bank will also hold the money, and you should call your bank too. I have one experience, Escrow already release the payment to me, but I didnt receive the money, I call Escrow, they also told me the same "Payment has been release to you" so they asked me check my bank.

My bank told me, it was your 1st time received international payment , so we need you to call us for verification. Have you try to call your bank?

•••
Since your screenshot shows "est.", I think payments are still stuck with Afternic or the payment processor for some reason. When they send payments, you receive emails for that. Have you asked @Joe Styler . Maybe he can help you.

•••
This "est." is very strange. It is August already, so why would they show estimated payout to happen in July?
After they pay, the 2nd column will say STATUS: Payout Issued. So, as per this screenshot, it appears that afternic did not yet issue payout, and so they should explain why.

In any case, assuming that paypal supports your country, it would make sense to request a paypal payout instead of a bank transfer. Transfering $152 via paypal is cheaper....

Edited: You bank will need some sort of a payment confirmation (pmt slip, swift, whatever - with dates and senders details) to investigate. They cannot investige if you show them the last Afternic email only. So, ask Afternic to provide such a confirmation. They probably would not be too happy to act on this, because it is extra work (imho). But they are technically able to retreive it, so they should..

Last edited:
•••
Since your screenshot shows "est.", I think payments are still stuck with Afternic or the payment processor for some reason. When they send payments, you receive emails for that. Have you asked @Joe Styler . Maybe he can help you.

I spoke with Joe last week - he is currently on vacation.
@AKS5 should contact Afternic directly.

Last edited:
•••
IMO that may have raised some flags.
The payment provider may be checking about recent changes to your account.
Craig that was way before they released funds to the payment provider. They released the funds on 27th July.

•••
I was simply told that the payment was released to their payment provider. Ever since I haven't received the payment.

Hi,

Sometimes your bank will also hold the money, and you should call your bank too. I have one experience, Escrow already release the payment to me, but I didnt receive the money, I call Escrow, they also told me the same "Payment has been release to you" so they asked me check my bank.

My bank told me, it was your 1st time received international payment , so we need you to call us for verification. Have you try to call your bank?
Thanks,

In fact, they didn't even tell me about releasing the payment to the payment provider on their own. I had to email them about the payment and this is what they told me but did not answer me when will I get the payment nor did they tell me the name of the payment provider so I can contact to get the auth code.

Also, I haven't received any word that the payment provider has sent the payment to my account.

•••

I am so grateful, all of you are trying to help me. However, Joe Styler did not bother. I tagged him in another thread, and someone else also tagged him but without reading the issue he asked to email. As if they are resolving the issue through emails.

I wish there was some way to lodge a complaint against them, otherwise they will keep doing this to consumers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back