Dynadot

question Exit strategy

NameSilo
Watch

BetoWH7

Established Member
Impact
hello as i am learning, i clearly understand that i was wrong and misinformed, ( lot of lies on the internet... go figure..) i thought this was a difficult but fastest business... and i understand now that you need a lot of patience and to hold on to domains for a long time....
so i have made mistakes and bought some domains that are going to be really hard to sell, or to build a website around them

so my question is how do you exit from them ?

yes i have listed them for sale already. and even tried nameliquidate...

if you cant sell them do you let them expire?

thank you for your opinions..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if you cant sell them do you let them expire?
If you tried to get rid of them at nameliqui..and you used $9 as your end point, the next thing I would do is list them here.

The better ones you might ask for value in the appraisal thread, but only if you feel they have value.

Don't be stressed about letting a name(s) go, I do it all the time. It is far better to take that money and watch auctions or the aftermarket and go for a name you can market.

•••
thank you @Mister Funsky , I will be more careful now with the domains i buy, thinking first who might want it, so i can market it, instead of doing impulsive buys.
and yes i will let them go, instead of wishfully thinking they will increase in value, and pay lots of renewal fees.

i do consider it a learning experience, and i am sure i will still make more mistakes, but know i will make more refined mistakes hopefully

thank you

•••
What is/are the extensions?

•••
•••
Bunch of "trendy" keywords put together, typos etc?

As Funsky said, try the appraisal section here to get some feelers, from there don't worry about cutting your losses, everyone screws up.

Next time to look to the future, don't always invest in what the populair says to, what works for them usually has a lot more work behind it than meets the eye, or are merely looking to secure their own assets longevity. There's a reason why stuff gets pumped or constantly promoted. Check out domains that speak for themselves and have staying power that brands will want to build on.

Otherwise, quick flipping in legacy domains really need a lot of commitment and research, constant attention. Not impossible, but a solid capital backing and time invested. Not just, reg it and it will sell.

•••
Bunch of "trendy" keywords put together, typos etc?

As Funsky said, try the appraisal section here to get some feelers, from there don't worry about cutting your losses, everyone screws up.

Next time to look to the future, don't always invest in what the populair says to, what works for them usually has a lot more work behind it than meets the eye, or are merely looking to secure their own assets longevity. There's a reason why stuff gets pumped or constantly promoted. Check out domains that speak for themselves and have staying power that brands will want to build on.

Otherwise, quick flipping in legacy domains really need a lot of commitment and research, constant attention. Not impossible, but a solid capital backing and time invested. Not just, reg it and it will sell.
the main problem I have is that I bought domains that are too long. or that have a (-) hyphen on them
not necessarily trendy and catchy, but domains related to geos and activities, perhaps they are too focused and targeted and that will limit the buyers. for example i bought gutterservicehouston.com/
i will do as you suggested and try the appraisal section here, hopefully, something might sell. and yes i will cut my losses and try to invest more wisely.. thank you @HotKey and thank you @Mister Funsky

•••
the main problem I have is that I bought domains that are too long. or that have a (-) hyphen on them
not necessarily trendy and catchy, but domains related to geos and activities, perhaps they are too focused and targeted and that will limit the buyers. for example i bought gutterservicehouston.com/
i will do as you suggested and try the appraisal section here, hopefully, something might sell. and yes i will cut my losses and try to invest more wisely.. thank you @HotKey and thank you @Mister Funsky
Well that's not bad. A little long as you said, but targeted. Better than what I expected. You're on the right track actually, geo-wise.

I don't know that the payout expectations will be worth the wait though. If the same in hyphen, even tougher.

This kind of names, you could try reaching out to a bricks and mortar that doesn't already have something or if it seems a significant upgrade for them.

•••
i guess that reaching out to a brick-and-mortar might be a good idea, i have never tried it but they might be interested because they already work on that niche, and cater to that market.

thank you @HotKey i appreciate that you take the time and answer/teach me. i will try to continue learning.

i believe here is a great place to learn.

•••
List the bad ones on all major marketplaces for $50-$99, some might sell even if they are not good names.

Near expiry period you can try to list them here in the $1-$15 range or put them on auction with no reserve.

As others have said, asking for an opinion in the appraisal section is a good piece of advice and hoepully you can identify the ones worth listing for mid XXX or X,XXX.

Wish you all the best!

Last edited:
•••
List the bad ones on all major marketplaces for $50-$99, some might sell even if they are not good names.

Near expiry period you can try to list them here in the $1-$15 range or put them on auction with no reserve.

As others have said, asking for an opinion in the appraisal section is a good piece of advice and hoepully you can identify the ones worth listing for mid XXX or X,XXX.

Wish you all the best!
Thank you @zomainhacks its a good strategy, and i will start listing the domains i want to sell
i have started on epik and afternic, no luck yet. the only domain I have sold was on epik and it was a surprise because i thought it was a bad domain...go figure.

question:

what happens when a domain sells on marketplace (A) but is also listed on marketplace B,C, do i have to manually delete them ( unlist them ) from the other marketplaces?
or it will appear as no available automatically ??

•••
Thank you @zomainhacks its a good strategy, and i will start listing the domains i want to sell
i have started on epik and afternic, no luck yet. the only domain I have sold was on epik and it was a surprise because i thought it was a bad domain...go figure.

question:

what happens when a domain sells on marketplace (A) but is also listed on marketplace B,C, do i have to manually delete them ( unlist them ) from the other marketplaces?
or it will appear as no available automatically ??
Even at $50-$99 don't expect to sell all domains, don't know the quality since haven't seen them, but assuming they are bad I would not expect to sell more than 1% - 2% in a year (maybe you are lucky or the names are not that bad, can't really say).

Regarding your question, you have to delete the listing as soon as a sale happens (there's no automation) since you risk having a double sale which may get you in trouble with the marketplace in which you can't honor the sale due to the fact you have already sold the name elsewhere.

Edit: I personally would avoid Epik as they are having serious issues in issuing sales proceeds: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/epik.com

I would list the names on Afternic, Sedo and Dan.

Last edited:
•••
Lots of good advice already offered.

The one name you listed, a long geo, probably only sells through outbound at a modest price. I am not sure if you tried outbound on some of your better geo names. I don't do outbound at all personally, so can't offer meaningful advice, but many do it, particularly with geo.

If you have not already done this I would suggest dividing your names into three groups.
  1. The best names. The ones that you think are good, but just haven't found a buyer yet. I would concentrate effort on selling those (if you truly want to totally exit) here on NamePros or with attractive, but not too low, prices on markets. If you have not already done so, try switching up DNS and pricing and landers, in case someone is watching, to entice demand. If you have one name you think just might be very valuable, keep it listed at a true retail price, hoping for that one sale.
  2. The so-so names. These I would list them as low start auctions or modest prices, hope some sell. But don't put much effort.
  3. The names you regret. While you never know, I would not invest effort in these. List them bargain basement here or super low prices at your registrar and don't invest any effort. Let them expire.
Best wishes. Starting out it is really hard to even break even, so if enough sell to cover your costs, consider that a success.

Bob

•••
Lots of good advice already offered.

The one name you listed, a long geo, probably only sells through outbound at a modest price. I am not sure if you tried outbound on some of your better geo names. I don't do outbound at all personally, so can't offer meaningful advice, but many do it, particularly with geo.

If you have not already done this I would suggest dividing your names into three groups.
  1. The best names. The ones that you think are good, but just haven't found a buyer yet. I would concentrate effort on selling those (if you truly want to totally exit) here on NamePros or with attractive, but not too low, prices on markets. If you have not already done so, try switching up DNS and pricing and landers, in case someone is watching, to entice demand. If you have one name you think just might be very valuable, keep it listed at a true retail price, hoping for that one sale.
  2. The so-so names. These I would list them as low start auctions or modest prices, hope some sell. But don't put much effort.
  3. The names you regret. While you never know, I would not invest effort in these. List them bargain basement here or super low prices at your registrar and don't invest any effort. Let them expire.
Best wishes. Starting out it is really hard to even break even, so if enough sell to cover your costs, consider that a success.

Bob
thank you @Bob Hawkes
its funny i haven't thought of doing a list and dividing them by groups and expectations.
I need to classify my domains so I can manage them easier i do have a
question in your answer in 1. you said to switch DNS... does that mean to park them in a different place ?

thank you

•••
you said to switch DNS... does that mean to park them in a different place ?
Yes. I don't have enough data personally, although a few sales have come just after changes, but some with much larger portfolios have noted offers came in right after a switch in that, or in price.
-Bob

•••
Back