Dynadot

Exabytes.com doesn’t allow transfer away expired names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

omelet

Top Member
Impact
my names are still in grace period but they are not allowed to transfer away

Last month in sept and Oct I transferred around 40 expired names away from exabytes. But now they say they changed policy?

I read their policy, it didn’t tell that expired names not allo ed to transfer away

@exa-Edward

I think your company is not professional. Do you think so?

That Transfer expird domains is common sense for us, your registrar is challenging and against all
Of us

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
my names are still in grace period but they are not allowed to transfer away

Last month in sept and Oct I transferred around 40 expired names away from exabytes. But now they say they changed policy?

I read their policy, it didn’t tell that expired names not allo ed to transfer away

@exa-Edward

I think your company is not professional. Do you think so?

That Transfer expird domains is common sense for us, your registrar is challenging and against all
Of us
Hi Omelet,

We did not change our policy in such a short manner. It has been there once this page is up. You can read more about domain transfer page in FAQ.
https://www.exabytes.com/domains/domain-transfer

Anyway, I have privately message you about your request. Please check you message inbox. Thank you.

•••
Hi Omelet,

We did not change our policy in such a short manner. It has been there once this page is up. You can read more about domain transfer page in FAQ.
https://www.exabytes.com/domains/domain-transfer

Anyway, I have privately message you about your request. Please check you message inbox. Thank you.

Dear Edward,

What you said is not true.

Back in October, I transferred around 50 expired names from exabytes to epik.

In September, I transfer another similar number of names away to Uniregistry and Epik.

You can check the record and I can also post evidence in here to public.

I read the policy but it didn’t say anything about not allowed to transfer expired names away.

I have been using your services for two years and it didn’t happen before this time

•••
https://www.exabytes.com/legal/terms

13.7. Domain Expiration. Your Domain Name will become expired and may cause Your web site to become inaccessible on and after the expiry date if the Domain Name is not renewed on or before the expiry date. You shall renew the domain name at Your own cost and expense. In the event You failed to renew the domain name and caused the domain name to be expired or not being able to renew, You shall not make any claim or compensation from Exabytes

•••
https://www.exabytes.com/legal/terms

13.7. Domain Expiration. Your Domain Name will become expired and may cause Your web site to become inaccessible on and after the expiry date if the Domain Name is not renewed on or before the expiry date. You shall renew the domain name at Your own cost and expense. In the event You failed to renew the domain name and caused the domain name to be expired or not being able to renew, You shall not make any claim or compensation from Exabytes
I didn’t see it said any term about not allowed to transfer expiredmnames away

•••
Neither did I. But I interpret it as you lose ownership of your name when it expires, because you shall not make any claim after it expires:xf.confused:
Very worded poorly

•••
Neither did I. But I interpret it as you lose ownership of your name when it expires, because you shall not make any claim after it expires:xf.confused:
Very worded poorly
It is not impossible to transfer the domain away during grace period, that is why it is not included in the terms, your website might be affected when you transferred away during that period. It is advisable not to transfer after the domain expired as during the domain transfer, DNS cannot be updated (if needed). Hence our first advise to customer will be tell them to remain and renew with current registra before transfer away. But if they wish to move away, we will still assist accordingly. We wont block client from transfer away.
If my previous explanation confused you and make you think otherwise, I apologize for that.

•••
I also have few domains expired at exabytes and i want to transfer away, how can i? @exa-Edward

@omelet were you able to?

Last edited:
•••
Hi @DnFolk, you may direct email to our Customer Service team at [email protected] by using your primary email. Thank you

•••
I also have few domains expired at exabytes and i want to transfer away, how can i? @exa-Edward

@omelet were you able to?

Hi their first email told me since my names expired I would not be able to transfer away

I sent two more emails with inclusion of namepros conversation with Edward, they agreed to send me auth codes.

So I got their auth codes

•••
You have to warn them that you would report the restriction of transfer to ICANN. otherwise they would say "because of our policy, blabla, you have to renew first, "

•••
When you transfer must pay renewal fee anyway so I assume is transferring to someplace where renewal fee will be lower.

•••
same shit happened to me
When you transfer must pay renewal fee anyway so I assume is transferring to someplace where renewal fee will be lower.

renew at exabytes costs around $13, but transfer to epik cost only $7.45

So almost half saving

•••
same sh*t happened to me

renew at exabytes costs around $13, but transfer to epik cost only $7.45

So almost half saving

For domain, it is always the price war :xf.frown:

•••
I want just to shout out a warning to all namepros members that Exabytes.com is charging renewal fees for domains that are already transfered out!
At promo sales they are bundle your promo purchase with a kind of service subscription called " Free DNS Management Services" which they are trying to bill each year even if the domain is not anymore in your account and not only after one year of purchase but as long as you don't recall this subscription - theoretically forever!
I recommend to all members to recall all such subscriptions if you have it and delete and cancel all payment details for Exabytes.com at your payment provider - Paypal, Credit Card, whatsoever.

Exabytes charged me out of the blue for 4 domains which where successfully transfered out already. I had to complain to Exabytes support and Paypal. For two domains Exabytes refunded me within 24 hours and for another two I had to go through Paypal claim procedure. However Exabytes support emailed me that they will refund me for this two domains too but the reality was they played on time and tried and hoped they will win at Paypal because they have the right to charge for this kind of subscription. At the end I have won the complaint for the third domain and lost for the fourth. The fact is that Exabytes.com charged me for nothing (I've got no service, no product, nothing)!

@exa-Edward I hope it was worth the $13.90

FYI @omelet @MasterOfMyDomains @xynames

•••
If I understand you correctly, this is what Yahoo used to do. You'd pay the .99 for a year of registration (or five years @ 2.99 per year was their other deal) with Yahoo "Small Business" and then after this period ended and you took the domain away, it would be long gone, and they'd try to charge you for some kind of DNS management too, as I recall it was called "Domain Control Panel" or some such.

Last edited:
•••
If I understand you correctly, this is what Yahoo used to do. You'd pay the .99 for a year of registration and then take the domain away, it would be long gone, and they'd try to charge you for some kind of DNS management too.
Exactly - yes very shady business

•••
The first time Yahoo tried to charge me, it just happened that that particular card had expired, so they could not charge it. From then on whenever I used Yahoo for a domain reg I would give them only a gift card, so that it was empty by the time the renewal period came along.

•••
It's very sad that Exabytes.com is promoting here on namepros and trying to rip us off in such a low manner! :punch:

•••
they charged me several times and I claimed to both PayPal and exabytes, even I eventually received the refund but this is very annoying and wasted my time

•••
they charged me several times and I claimed to both PayPal and exabytes, even I eventually received the refund but this is very annoying and wasted my time
Exabytes wrote to me that I have to cancel the subscription at Paypal. Paypal answered to me that I have to cancel the subscription at Exabytes. Sending the customer forth and back. In fact Exabytes should have done automatically it at the same moment as the domain was transfered out. (n)

•••
Exabytes wrote to me that I have to cancel the subscription at Paypal. Paypal answered to me that I have to cancel the subscription at Exabytes. Sending the customer forth and back. In fact Exabytes should have done automatically it at the same moment as the domain was transfered out. (n)
Well understand of your problem. I have privately message you to understand some details. Lets get this sorted out.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back