IT.COM

discuss Ever Try A Raffle?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I was thinking about raffling off some names.

So, I would predefine the number of "Tickets" or "Entries". Each ticket would be a dollar or two or three.

The winner is drawn. The winner receives the domain.

Here's an example...

I raffle a 4L.com. I will accept up to 100 entries at $3 each.

Raffle held in 1 week.

Someone wins a 4L for possibly only $3.

Could this work?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was thinking about raffling off some names.

So, I would predefined the number of "Tickets" or "Entries". Each ticket would be a dollar.

The winner is drawn. The winner receives the domain.

Here's an example...

I raffle a 4L.com. I will accept up to 100 entries at $3 each.

Raffle held in 1 week.

Some wins 4L for possibly only $3.

Could this work?

Very creative thinking. I like it :) wouldn't be collecting a 100 payments be a pain though?

There are some online services that let you draw a winning number that can be used and checked to prevent possible fixed winnings by OP.

•••
Very creative thinking. I like it :) wouldn't be collecting a 100 payments be a pain though?

There are some online services that let you draw a winning number that can be used and checked to prevent possible fixed winnings by OP.
My thought was that I would simply post a PayPal for entrants to buy a ticket. Need to discuss more to figure that out.

•••
Not sure about the legality but I would participate in something like this (y)

•••
Not sure about the legality but I would participate in something like this (y)
Very tricky if you want it to actually be legal. In Canada and USA the rules and laws are provincial/state level .. so just in North America you're dealing with 60+ sets of laws/rules!

It also comes down to value. If you're not making a profit over the value of the prize then you likely won't have any legal issues ... but then you get to the classic question of how much is the domain worth? Good luck with that part! lol

That being said ... I don't see the law coming down on the above example .. but it'll probably be NamePros that says no because the law could also go after them, and they're probably an easier target.

Would be fun though .. but we'd likely see a short-term explosion of them if it was indeed allowed.

•••
Thought about this years ago. It constitutes as gambling and you'd need a gambling license to actually offer such a thing as a service.

However, if you and some friends or a community do it, you'd likely be ok.

Hypothetically what you could do is setup a Telegram group and hold raffles there. Personally I see no problem with that.

Last edited:
•••
So far it sounds like it would be fun and people might participate.

But.....

Sounds like it would not work as a "raffle". Perhaps a group or club. Monthly dues of a dollar or two with no obligation. Start and stop repeatedly. Giveaway the domains to active members say once a day, week or month.

Could the number of giveaways correlate with the number of active group members?

Could offer other group member perks too.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back