IT.COM

question Ever play Chicken at domain auctions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Hi,
Recently I found out a domain I ordered a backorder on went to auction because someone else had ordered a backorder on it.

Very annoying.

So my bid was highest. Then I got outbid. Every last 30 seconds I bid. And get outbid automatically.

At one point I don't want the domain anymore.
I really don't like bidding at auctions no matter how good the domain is.

But I don't know this time around I just decided to mess around and keep bidding just to bump up the price of this domain that someone is preventing me from having at $59 originally.

The scary part is of course when you get up to a high price.

Needless to say I got the bid up to $461.

I chickened out because I was worried I'd get stuck with the domain at $461.

Although I was tempted to keep going. Mainly because I was pissed I did not get this domain at $59. Lol

Childish? Yes! Very. But damnit it felt good!

They expected like me to pay $59 and now they paid $461.

Could I have gone up more? Maybe but I chickened out.

But I'm satisfied.

Anyone else have any "chicken" stories at auctions. Doesn't matter if you won or lose.

Let me know. Post it. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Backing up from a price that's too high is called being smart, not chickening out.

Just place a proxy bid for a price you're comfortable with paying, don't play games and you should be good.

•••
i do that for fun on LLLL .com at godaddy auctions
i usually stop at 150$ and if i actually win so be it couple of bucks lost meeh

Last edited:
•••
Backing up from a price that's too high is called being smart, not chickening out.

Just place a proxy bid for a price you're comfortable with paying, don't play games and you should be good.

Thanks. Well like I said. I don't really bother competing vs. people who may have deep pockets.

I don't do this often.just this once. But I just wanted to see who has done it in the past once in a blue moon or even better on the regular?

I gotta say it's pretty fun dumping a domain who prevented me from getting a domain for dropcatch price. $59.

I wonder who has done it in the $1000-$5000 or even $1,000,000?

That would be a great story to hear.

Now that would be gutsy.

Imagine dropping a large amount on someone just for fun to stick it to them because they blocked you from getting the domain you wanted for cheap?

I'm talking about bidding it up to an amount you don't even have? Lol. I'd be biting my fingernails.

I think domainers who have rivalries probably do this on the regular with big numbers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back