Domain Empire

Evaluate my hosting options

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

I had hosted my website at one.com and getting down-time in India and good response when I visit my website from a US based proxy.

Now I am looking to have a sinlge multiple domain (addon domain) web hosting account which has fair latency time across the globe and probably add some CDN to make it fly. Following are some options which I am considering. Please help me evaluate them and let me know in case there are better alternatives available:

1) Use Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) which is usage based and add Amazon cloudfront or MaxCDN as CDN to it
2) Use HostGator for web hosting and use Amazone Cloudfront or MaxCDN as CDN
3) Use Media Temple as web hosting provider and don't use CDN

My budget for the time being is $10 per month (of course I need to spend more for Media Temple, but will it be comparable to HostGator plus CDN)?

Please advise me.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Out of curiosity, how are you figuring that Media Temple alone is the same type of service as HostGator + CDN?

•••
@XeHSean
from the loading time of
Code:
http://javapapers.com
Just see how fast that site loads up. The guy just migrated from godaddy/hostgator to mediatemple.

Mediatemple charges around $30 per month otherwise I would have chosen it right away.

Last edited:
•••
The guy just migrated from godaddy/hostgator to mediatemple.
I'm afraid that is innacurate, going by the nameservers history:

http://www.hosterstats.com/historicaldns.php?domain=javapapers.com

The domains has been hosting my Mediatemple for years now.

As for comparison to Goadddy/Hostgator, based on my experience I can assure you that the site would be way slower if hosted on Godaddy's shared hosting.

Mediatemple charges around $30 per month

$20 for their cheapest shared hosting package.

Comparing them to shared + CDN, or expecting their shared hosting to be able to compete against that, isn't entirely correct. I understand it though, because you're thinking of keeping costs in check.

I had hosted my website at one.com and getting down-time in India and good response when I visit my website from a US based proxy.

I'm not too sure you can blame the US host for that. There are lots of providers in between, including your ISP, that qualify for the "guilty" adjective.

•••
@ldcdc

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

I need to make a decision about the web hosting plan to choose in $10 per month.

Would you advise Hostgator + cloudfront?

•••
•••
I think you can find good option in the webhosting offer section :D

•••
•••
I would go for the second option you have listed. Hostgator are the best when it comes to uptime

•••
You can find more reliable options with high uptime at offers section I think

Rather hard to determine reliability: the uptime guarantee is no gauge (it's always, ultimately, just a monetary guarantee), and uptime reports from actual customers will almost always be very vague and unreliable.

•••
well i suggest you to check out justhost as they are well reputed and are quite experienced as well.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back