Dynadot

discuss Estibot is a failure, why do domainers insist on using it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jamesosix

Top Member
Impact
Seriously, its such a flawed piece of software and yet all i see in domain circles is "estibot this" and "estibot that"

Why do domainers insist on telling other domainers what esitbot apprises something at? It is actually starting to make me question whether a particular domainer is serious or not.

I'm going to start saying "my folks appraised this at xxxxxxxxxx value, because they probably have a better insight to a domains value versus estibot!!

Is it just me that feels this way?

I say we should start considering NOT using estibot EVER because it is full of s***.

Discuss.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seems to me many of you are placing unrealistic expectations on Estibot. It shouldn't be expected to do something that even domainers can't do very well. Even most domainers can't agree on an appraisal, let alone predict the selling price, two very different things.

For example (taken from dnjournal.com), who here would have appraised autism.rocks at $100,000? Does that mean a seller can now expect close to $100,000 for something like cancer.rocks?

Or how about the strangely spelled "catapault" (with only 77k google returns vs "catapult" with 13 million) that sold for $29K. Who would have appraised it for over $1000 or even $100?

Estibot shouldn't be expected to be accurate across the board because it has no capacity to be subjective. All it can do is look at the numbers available and run its algorithm. Given the dynamics of domaining, I'm amazed it gets close even part of the time.

Want to give it a real test? We could easily do that with people who are pretty sure of some upcoming sales.

•••
Do not really use it, although I see it may help some, depending on your purchase criteria.

•••
If you think Estibot is a joke, you never used another tool which name misses me now. Don't come across it anymore but used to come up on searches for domain appraisal a couple of years ago. If that tool gave your domain anything lower than a $1000k appraisal then you knew it was grace delete time.

Estibot is not just a domain appraisal utility, it has other data that could be useful. But to base the worth of a domain solely on it is folly indeed.

•••
I sold BitcoinExchange(.)info for $1k on NamePros. Estibot says $65. No more Estibot for me.

fdsfsdfsdf.jpg

•••
The valuations are especially crazy with new extensions, that have no established aftermarket. If only people did their homework.

•••
What am abt to say might start world war 3 up in here but I have to say it.

It seems some people are in denial of estibots relevance or status in our industry. No one is saying live by estibot but you still have to acknowledge its presence and use of it validates it as a positive for the users and our industry. Also Its not really free...someone said that.

•••
I use Estibot. It's valuations are cranky. But you get used to viewing those valuations thru the cranks :) But I do like the feature of which other tld's are available, without doing a registry search. It's not real-time but it's close enough for me. I also like that search stats they provide. Plus all those other tools they provide, which I use only rarely. I'm just saying that I am one domainer who uses them daily, but parse their valuations with a pinch of salt.

•••
I use Estibot (through Valuate) to get a broad idea about frequency, searches, cpc, competition and estimated value. Of course it’s not accurate when compared with the actual sales. Estibot is not an end-user!!! :)

To help price my domains I also use DomainIndex, GoDaddy’s appraisal tool and past sales records at Namebio. And, even so, at the end of my calculations, I’m not sure if the domains are overpriced or underpriced. While the domains sit there at my showcase website, I’m pretty sure they are overpriced… Whenever I sell one, I tend to think it was underpriced…

•••
I think Estibot should only be used as a reference and only for " keywords.com " domains.
No derived words and only .com !

•••
I've had domains estibot said were worth $x,xxx.

I couldn't get anyone to buy them at even $20. haha. Estibot is usually promoted on popular domain blogs to get that affiliate $$$, which is why it is highly "recognized" as the go to tool. A lot of their algorithm is based on CPC and ads I presume but a domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I had a domain that was valued at $0 according to Estibot and sold it for $xxx. :laugh:

-Omar

•••
people use the bot now,because for most....that's all there was when they first started domaining.

before the bot, Overture ruled as #1 tool for finding domains with traffic

after it's demise, the bot entered the picture and the hype has been on, ever since.

i'm not a user, but it's obvious for those who continue to use it, that it's not failing them.

so i guess there's value for the owner and for the user.

imo...

•••
Fun tool, I enjoy it but it's still a tool and not totally acurate by any means.

oomi (dot) com sells for $130,650.00 and Estibot says $14,000.00.

It's all about supply and demand and not online tools... JMO.

•••
Fun tool, I enjoy it but it's still a tool and not totally acurate by any means.

oomi (dot) com sells for $130,650.00 and Estibot says $14,000.00.

It's all about supply and demand and not online tools... JMO.

Hi

for any value the bot spits out, the variables that are NOT taken into account are:

"who" owns the domain, how long they had it, original cost to acquire, it's statistics and their ability to negotiate.

this factor is prevalent in every domain transaction, therefore an appraisals' variable is always related to the owner.

imo...

•••
What am abt to say might start world war 3 up in here but I have to say it.

It seems some people are in denial of estibots relevance or status in our industry. No one is saying live by estibot but you still have to acknowledge its presence and use of it validates it as a positive for the users and our industry. Also Its not really free...someone said that.

It is definitely have 1 positive benefit... Essentially it acts as a suicide deterrent for novices who drop 4-figures on worthless hand registrations.

•••
People will use Estibot when and only when it works in their favor. If you're trying to buy a domain and as Shane said the seller quotes Estibot you might as well hang up and call him in a year when he still hasn't sold it. Obviously,if you own AB.com the price is whatever the market says it is at that time and Estibot will be close perhaps-apart from that-a waste of time.

•••
We own the .com name of a company in China that has 60,000 employees-no idea why they never bought the name but they didn't and no TM. I'd guess Estibot says it's worth $10. My guess is it's worth a bit more.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back