IT.COM

.biz Effect of Backorder Services on .biz Values

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just checked a few deleting 3 letter .biz names and found they are taken at SnapNames. The names are good, but nothing that jumps out at you. epb.biz for example- "Export Promotion Board", "Europeon Polar Board" show on Pg1 Google.

What's happenning here, do you suppose?
.biz stock going up? or do you think this is more an effect of 3LLL domains becoming scarce and increasing enough in value to support a $69 grab for an avg. 3LLL .biz?

Do you think an averege .info, or .biz 3LLL are worth $60-$70 to reg.?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Overall, I would say "supply vs. demand" IMHO. Several folks have scooped up a lot of the reamaining three-letter .INFO's, .BIZ's, .US's. There are probably some stragglers about, but for the most part they are all gone, hence limited supply and same or more demand has upward pressure on pricing. I still think the specific lettering combinations are VERY important here as a factor ... like, typically, Q's, X's, Y's, and Z's are less in demand. Not all combos with these letterings will garner $60 - $70+/+ at the present time, in my view. In fact, in some extensions some of these may be amongst those unregistered stragglers.
I DO wish I had kept my one (1) three-letter ".BIZ", though ... all great letters, sold in a "Quick Sale" several months ago!
I'm such a dork! :D
See you soon, Grrilla.
:wave:

•••
It is supply and demand. The article in DNJournal about the guy who bought up all the remaining 3 letter info and biz also mentioned that he has no intent on selling them, but more on developing them long term. That plays a big part since many are not only registered, but also not for sale. Now, only Pool and maybe godaddy offer backorders on biz. I think if Namewinner and Enom did so with lower entry prices you might see them going for $30-40 instead of $60+ on pool.

The QZXY domains have just slightly less value than more popular letters. But, if it has two or more of those letters it really becomes a hard sell.

•••
Re: Effect of Backorder Services on .biz Values

Originally posted by Grrilla
.biz stock going up?

Yes, .BIZ is climbing up the credibility ladder all the time. Acquisition cost wise, they are not exactly cheap if you approach the owners of key names like forum.biz, you will know what I mean.

Over 2 years ago, I grabbed everything I wanted during LR at a whim and fancy when people said it sounded like spit on a believe that this .business extension could make it. Today, I am certain it will. My best .BIZ names are all regged till 2012, and I'm sure hundreds of thousands of of prime names are no longer available for cheap, if at all.

•••
Relative to supply and demand, I think what I really am getting at is: Does the demand in the end-user market paralell the supply-demand dynamic of the reseller market? To what degree are 3LLL names speculation and to what degree are they being backed up in sales and sites. A spot check, shows that several of the 3LLL names, including .coms, are sitting as parked pages. Will there be a retail demand and will there be enough of a special quality represented by brevity and uniqueness to offer high potential in development? To go even deeper in this vein, to what degree are market prices bolstered and sustained by domain marketers speculating on dev and sales to end users, and hpw much activity is coming from the supply and demand dynamics of the businesses that are buying and actively using the names for online marketing of their goods and/or services? In the end, regardless of what the market is backed by- reseller or enduser, a marketplace is a marketplace, I suppose. It would be revealing, however, to see what the breakdown on this was. Registrations of 3LLL names,at first glance, seem to be weighted towards the resellers side.

Does SnapNames not take backorders for .biz? They show "Taken" on their lookup results, but maybe that is a misnomer and should be showing "unavailable", or "not accepted" instead. If this is so, my specific question becomes moot, but there's other stuff to dig into. Also, my intent was not to actually backorder one of these- was using SnapNames lookup as a tool to see where .biz value might be.

Last edited:
•••
To buy low, sell high you need to enter a market when the costs are very low. You can get unregistered biz names for $4.95 now, so the price is absolutely right for the right names. Info has taken off, and I think .biz is right behind it by about a year or so. Not every name works as well in the biz TLD as it does in the info TLD though.

For examaple, Last week I picked up:

biketrails.biz
daycamp.biz
dispatchers.biz
photostudios.biz
digitalmemory.biz
fillingstation.biz
employmentagency.biz
duplicating.biz
deckbuilding.biz
toupees.biz
wordprocessing.biz
postagemeter.biz
volleyballs.biz
tennisracket.biz

So there are some good business related names still available to register. At $5 for new registrations, you can can get 5X reg fee at only a $25 sale. If com/net/info are all taken, I'll generally take the biz as long as it could be used for a viable business site.

•••
Originally posted by AdoptableDomains
Not every name works as well in the biz TLD as it does in the info TLD though.

I agree. For example sex.biz looks and sounds very sleazy. Other names, like business.biz looks and sounds too forced.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz is a good example of .biz addressing application

http://www.digitaltrust.biz is another great example.

•••
As for appropriate use of .biz, there is something unsettling about names the likes of philanthropist.biz. hehe or even physician.biz- and looser.biz, soso.biz, slowest.biz, confused.biz, fleeced.biz, hatred.biz, sneaky.biz and hateyour.biz, wouldn't be tops on my list.

Last edited:
•••
Does the demand in the end-user market paralell the supply-demand dynamic of the reseller market?

It always lags significantly behind. New namespace growth has been significantly stunted by massive speculative grabs. But it does appear some equilibrium is being reached between price willing to be paid vs speculator's randsoms.

Reletive to appropriate use of .biz, there is something unsettling about names the likes of philanthropist.biz. hehe or even physician.biz- and looser.biz, soso.biz, slowest.biz, confused.biz, fleeced.biz, hatred.biz, sneaky.biz and hateyour.biz, wouldn't be tops on my list.

My favorite is http://www.monkey.biz They finally stopped laughing and decided to become serious.

•••
Monkey.biz isn't monkeying around.(sorry) Monkey business is a common idiomatic expression and monkey.biz is not at all a bad name to begin with, IMO. Other slam-dunks would include show.biz, entertainment.biz, movie.biz, the.biz, music.biz, and one of my personal favs... HowIs.biz :hehe: :gn:

•••
I'm not sure about the.biz and howis.biz, but the rest are AAA showcase addresses of .biz defining an industry. To claim mindshare and credibility on those addresses will require a developer with peak credentials, nonetheless.

•••
Just a quick note on SanpNames, they do just set all .biz names to taken ( they used to do that for .us as well, not sure if they still do.

Of course I could be wrong, there is always the chance that someone does have wyefgqewfygqwfuyqwgfuyqwgfqwf.biz on backorder as that was the one I checked :)

Wishing you all the best

Richard

•••
Originally posted by bitshack
there is always the chance that someone does have wyefgqewfygqwfuyqwgfuyqwgfqwf.biz on backorder as that was the one I checked :)

I wish you hadn't posted that! That is my backorder. Now everyone will be going to Pool, DomainCatcher and all of the others to try to get it themselves! :laugh:

•••
I'm not sure about the.biz and howis.biz,
Haha. The.biz would be a bigger name for folks living in my area and would not be as desirable everywhere, so is limited. HowIs.biz is my name that I slipped in there to see if anyone was reading and/or alert. Not a bad name, IMO (of course), because it is a frequently used phrase. But, alas, not a slam-dunk.
To claim mindshare and credibility on those addresses will require a developer with peak credentials, nonetheless.
Would mindworks.biz work in capturing mindshare? (Actually don't like "business names" w/ .biz, but really like Mindworks, was avail at reg fee, and made an exception.)
wyefgqewfygqwfuyqwgfuyqwgfqwf.biz
Why didn't I think of that? (Seriously, Richard, sometimes the obvious is just to obvious for me to see. ) HeHe
That is my backorder
I was wondering who beat me to the snap. Be seein' you over at Pool for the auction.

:notme:

•••
I just saw a shoe company at the mall using a .biz URL on its packaging. IMO, its only a matter of time before it becomes widely acceptable.

•••
Originally posted by armstrong
I just saw a shoe company at the mall using a .biz URL on its packaging. IMO, its only a matter of time before it becomes widely acceptable.

It's happening... slowly but surely. Water will find its own level, especially when 'biz' is a professional vernacular and 'speak' you see everyday in business magazines like Businessweek.

Check out http://www.why.biz for the mentally challenged :notme:

•••
Originally posted by WaveMail.com
Overall, I would say "supply vs. demand" IMHO. Several folks have scooped up a lot of the reamaining three-letter .INFO's, .BIZ's, .US's. There are probably some stragglers about, but for the most part they are all gone, hence limited supply and same or more demand has upward pressure on pricing. I still think the specific lettering combinations are VERY important here as a factor ... like, typically, Q's, X's, Y's, and Z's are less in demand. Not all combos with these letterings will garner $60 - $70+/+ at the present time, in my view. In fact, in some extensions some of these may be amongst those unregistered stragglers.
I DO wish I had kept my one (1) three-letter ".BIZ", though ... all great letters, sold in a "Quick Sale" several months ago!
I'm such a dork! :D
See you soon, Grrilla.
:wave:

Exactly what I was thinking.
Also agree with the "I'm such a dork" part :)

Anyways, I agree with most of that, but I don't think that .biz will ever get "that" big, but rather it'll be the only alternative for some people since all the other good .com and .net names are taken

•••
When AM radio came out FM radio thought they were just spit on the ground.
when CDs came out the vinals said noways people like the big records
didnt Bob dylan once said the times are a changin.
My thoughts about biz that they might someday out due.com
And the bigdogs say ruff ruff ruff arggggggggnhhhhuuu

upss deslexic again meant to say
when FM radio came out AM though .......

Last edited:
•••
My thoughts about biz that they might someday out due.com

I certainly hope so! I have due.biz.:hehe:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back