Dynadot

sales Eclipse.xyz Sold For $90,000 USD By Swetha

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

silentg

DomainRetail.comTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Okay. If it's all for real, than may someone explain, what great real value stands in .xyz? How can this woman sell them by such high price? What's the deal with .xyz?

Upd. Is she speaking directly with buyers? How much people she knows?

Last edited:
•••
Congrats Swetha. Sounds like someone is jealous.

•••
Okay. If it's all for real, than may someone explain, what great real value stands in .xyz? How can this woman sell them by such high price? What's the deal with .xyz? Is she speaking directly with buyers? How much people she knows?
Quality, quantity and the confidence to ask a decent price in a popular extension. That is the entire secret, nothing more.

With one word domains you have a lot of anchoring going on. Buyers might figure out that the .com version of the name they want is 5+ million, so 100k or 50k for an .xyz .ai .co etc. is a steal.

It works the other way around too. If a xyz sold for 50k, a broker can use that info to get a way higher amount for the .com version.

In this business we really wish others make big sales, it helps us all.

Last edited:
•••
The eclipse . com owner is looking for seven figure offers, so 90k is a bargain compared to that....

I wouldn't call it an upgrade, they just swapped one crap extension for another and had to pay for the privilege

•••
Quality, quantity and the confidence to ask a decent price in a popular extension. That is the entire secret, nothing more.

With one word domains you have a lot of anchoring going on. Buyers might igure out that the .com version of the name they want is 5+ million, so 100k or 50k for an .xyz .ai .co etc. is a steal.

It works the other way around too. If a xyz sold for 50k, a broker can use that info to get a way higher amount for the .com version.

Thanks for a great answer!

•••
This is a superb answer @AEProgram that perfectly, in my opinion, captures why high-quality single-word .xyz (and other popular choice secondary TLDs) can go for 5-figures and more.

With one word domains you have a lot of anchoring going on. Buyers might igure out that the .com version of the name they want is 5+ million, so 100k or 50k for an .xyz .ai .co etc. is a steal.

I would add one other factor. Even though for some time almost all TLDs can be tied to ENS, the fact that .xyz was the first ICANN approved extension that this could be done with helped .xyz get a strong foothold in the decentralized world. That continues to this day, with many startups in decentralized, which this is, looking to .xyz as the obvious choice, if .com is not available. See XYZ and Web3 section in this NamePros Blog article:
https://www.namepros.com/blog/past-12-months-of-xyz-a-look-at-the-data.1264760/

I wish everyone realized the following. The endless irrational and baseless questioning of major sales in anything other than .com is actually hurting .com (and the domain industry in general).

As well as another great sale for Swetha, this is great news for Efty as they expand and are about to introduce EftyPay. They have about 675,000 names listed now, much less than the big marketplaces but a significant number, including it seems all of her 22,000 or so names. She also has them listed on Dan/Afternic.

-Bob

•••
Socrates.xyz was sold by Swetha and later buyer upgraded to the .com.

Any GTLD or CCTLD sale benefits the .com owner.

•••
Very early in their development, in their year of formation, I sold V a n a .xyz for 4-figures. After finding success with funders and clients (they currently have over a million users and staff of 20), and more funding rounds, they acquired V a n a .com (and .org) and now only use the .xyz they got from me in redirection.

I am sure this picture has repeated hundreds or thousands of times with other names, and not just in .xyz but in .io, .ai, .co and more. Sales in these extensions help, not hurt, .com sales. Baseless criticisms of sales in other extensions hurts our industry, in particular it ironically hurts those with valuable .com portfolios.

-Bob

•••
•••
•••
"Buyer upgraded from Eclipse.builders"

Well, that's one way to put it...

•••
Okay. If it's all for real, than may someone explain, what great real value stands in .xyz? How can this woman sell them by such high price? What's the deal with .xyz?
.xyz has a bit of a history with the cypto-crowd.

I suppose eclipse.io or eclipse.ai would be better, but they're both in-use. And eclipse.com only wants offers in the seven digits, which (while fair) is a bit steep.

•••
.xyz has a bit of a history with the cypto-crowd.
I think it's because it's The Last digits :) x-y-z. The end.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back