registrars Dynadot tops Namepros registrar safety poll

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
In a poll that was not as celebrated as best registrar, Dynadot won the title for something many registrars find important. Safety. Things like a registrars’ overall security. Do they have a strong Financial position. How do they handle your privacy when prompted by say a government agency. Do you feel safest when it comes […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Totally disagree. Never got a chance to vote....

I had a few expired domains which still in grace period got transferred away to Dynadot auction market...this happened a few times that I feel not secure with Dynadot

•••
Totally disagree. Never got a chance to vote....

I had a few expired domains which still in grace period got transferred away to Dynadot auction market...this happened a few times that I feel not secure with Dynadot

You can still renew your domain

•••
•••
Dynadot used to force me to provide personal identification, and this has nothing to do with ICANN's requirements, just their own information collection.

Similarly, I found that they have different servers in different countries. (Some information can be found at the bottom of the homepage).I do not know why they did, maybe they come from the founder of China,IMO

Last edited:
•••
Congrats to Dynadot. They deserve

•••
Didn't know there was even a vote.

•••
•••
Thank you everyone for the support!

•••
No way..names directly transferred out of my account. You lost your control.
We would only remove domains from your Dynadot account at the end of their grace renewal period, we still provide registrants with their full grace renewal period if the domain was won at auction by another user.

•••
Dynadot used to force me to provide personal identification, and this has nothing to do with ICANN's requirements, just their own information collection.

Similarly, I found that they have different servers in different countries. (Some information can be found at the bottom of the homepage).I do not know why they did, maybe they come from the founder of China,IMO
We do sometimes require a copy of ID for verification purposes, this would usually only be requested when changes to account information had been requested such as the disabling of 2FA or updating of an email address. We only use the identification to verify its the account holder we're helping access or modify the account in these cases.

•••
Staffs here
We would only remove domains from your Dynadot account at the end of their grace renewal period, we still provide registrants with their full grace renewal period if the domain was won at auction by another user.
i have two .tv domain registered with Uniregistry in late grace / early redemption, usually I can get them back within uniregistry system, however, it showed names have been transferred away by dynadot. When I noticed, the domains have been auctioned and can no longer get back

This Is super embarrassed. How come dynadot can touch uniregistry names?

This happened a lot of times in previous years

•••
Plus,

When my names in the last two days of grace period, dynadot forbidden to transfer away because you can not unlock and get the auth codes.

Even within the grace period, you have to email their staff to ask them unlock and receive the auth code.

•••
I give it to dynadot, they are one of the best in the industry.

•••
No way..names directly transferred out of my account. You lost your control.

They are taken out of your account on day 40. I don't think that's unreasonable AT ALL. You can still renew domains which are in the auction. Even a day or two after the auction is completed.

Last edited:
•••
They are taken out of your account on day 40. I don't think that's unreasonable AT ALL. You can still renew domains which are in the auction.

Then compare to other registrars, this is not competitively fair to me.

1), more steps to order auth code
2), shorter time allowed to transfer away
3), names transferred to other registrars, still possibly transferred back to their auction market
4), names within grace period, late fee $10?

•••
Then compare to other registrars, this is not competitively fair to me.

1), more steps to order auth code
2), shorter time allowed to transfer away
3), names transferred to other registrars, still possibly transferred back to their auction market
4), names within grace period, late fee $10?

least DD aftermarket names are locked 30 days, half of GD 60.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Lol "either"

You put Dynadot on Godaddy's level :xf.eek:

@Dynadot, fix the wrong, wronged him

There are very few registrars which allow you to freely renew your domains up to 40 days. Albeit that is with a $10 redemption fee in the last 10 days. So you can renew up to 30 days without penalty. It would be interesting to know which registrars @omelet is referring to.

•••
Dynadot is safe enough for Wikileaks.org to be registered with them

•••
As a domainer who holds thousand of domains, I have my pain with dynadot. Here is the mockup situation:

- hundreds of domains are expired, for example, this is the 31st day ( if you ask why not renew earlier? Well, many possible reasons, like no cash flow, or some other typical reasons domainers have). Let's compare the opportunity cost of renewal all or part of them, let's take 50 as the number to renew:

1), at Dynadot (grace period: 40 days, but last 10 days require $10 extra late fee)
  • Renew: ($10 + $8.99) * 50 = $949.50
  • Transfer away:
    • Unable to unlock and receive auth code by yourself;
    • Have to email Dynadot staff to request for unlock and auth codes. This usually need to wait for half day to 2 days
    • If their staff unlocked for you but you don't take action immediately, soon later the names will be locked again and you lose the chance to receive the auth codes; then you have to beg them to re-unlock the domains again, then wait for their responses. If this happened btw 30th - 40th days, you will be easily wasted 3+ days just waiting and negotiating with them. and,
    • It is no way to transfer away in the last 48 hours of the entire grace period, paying $949.50 would be the only option and the cheapest option during last 48 hours.
2), at Uniregistry (grace period: 40 days, but last 10 days require $10 extra late fee)
  • Renew: ($10 + $8.49) * 50= $924.50 (price almost same)
  • Transfer away:
    • Can download excel sheet with renewable names (within 40 days) and auth codes, no need to wait

3), at Epik (grace period: 35 days, can request for special treatment if send emails)
  • Renew: $8.49 * 50 = $424.50
  • Transfer away:
    • unlock and check auth code immediately

For the domainers like me who manage large volume of expired domains monthly, Dynadot, among the three registrars, is the one who delivered the worst experiences.
  • Financially no advantage
  • The transfer experience is also really unpleasant, and terrible.

@

stub

Last edited:
•••
4) Namesilo > https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Expiration-Process

upload_2020-4-6_20-1-18.png

5) NameBright > https://www.namebright.com/Terms
14.Domain Deletion / Redemption Grace Period Recovery. If you fail to renew your domain through the end of the expiration of the domain (30 days from the domain name's expiration date) that domain will enter Redemption Grace Period (aka "RGP"). Once a domain enters RGP status you will have 30 days to "redeem" the domain at the standard redemption period price. The cost to redeem a .com or .net domain from RGP is currently $85 per domain. Non .com or .net domains will be charged $85, or the registry's redemption fee; whichever cost is greater. Any domain that goes beyond the 30-day Redemption Grace Period (in addition to the previous 30 days of auto-renew grace period) will be ineligible for redemption of any kind. Meaning 60 days after the domain name's expiration date the registrant can no longer take any steps to recover a non-renewed domain.

There are two processes in which domains will go through RGP at NameBright.com. Registry Redemption Grace Period ("Registry RGP") and Registrar Redemption Grace Period ("Registrar RGP"). In the case of Registrar RGP, the domain name may be auctioned off or sold to third parties who have an interest in the domain beginning on the 30th day after the domain name has expired. Should a third-party purchase rights to the domain, you will have exactly 30 days from the beginning of RGP to pay the redemption fee to have the domain name returned to you. Should the redemption fee not be paid within 60 days after the domain name's expiration, the ownership of the domain will change hands and be irreversible.

In the case of Registry RGP, the domain name will be deleted and go through the registry's RGP process. This period is mandated to be the 30 days immediately following the deletion of a registration. Therefore, presuming the domain name is deleted at the registry on the 30th day after the domain name's expiration, you will have 30 days following that date to redeem the domain name for the standard redemption cost of $85. Again, if you do not redeem a domain before the end of this redemption grace period, the domain will drop and become available for anyone to use. In many cases, you can lose permanent rights and access to the domain.

In other words, if the domain name is not renewed or redeemed within 60 days following the expiration, the domain will be irretrievable. During the first 30 days you can pay the basic renewal fee. In the second 30 days the Redemption fee, for .com and .net domains this cost is $85.

6) GoDaddy > https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-when-my-domain-expires-609

upload_2020-4-6_20-7-55.png

Last edited:
•••
also I am not sure why Dynadot transferred my Uniregistry names to their auction market. I have a domain name which i bought at $2000 US was transferred to their auction market. I could no longer to even pay Uniregistry the redemption fee to get it back. Uni has no way to get it back, and Dynadot said the domain already won by someone else and I need to contact the new owner.

Why Dynadot can transfer other registrar names to their auction market? Anyone knews? This is not the first time, this has happened several times.

•••
I feel like the poll was too short. (open time)

•••
Back