NameSilo

Dynadot tops Namepros registrar safety poll

Labeled as registrars in Domain Industry News, started by equity78, Apr 5, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. equity78

equity78 Top Member TheDomains Staff TLDInvestors.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

In a poll that was not as celebrated as best registrar, Dynadot won the title for something many registrars find important. Safety. Things like a registrars’ overall security. Do they have a strong Financial position. How do they handle your privacy when prompted by say a government agency. Do you feel safest when it comes […]

Continue Reading

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. omelet

omelet Top Contributor VIP

Totally disagree. Never got a chance to vote....

I had a few expired domains which still in grace period got transferred away to Dynadot auction market...this happened a few times that I feel not secure with Dynadot

3. Domain Crazy

Domain Crazy stidler.com Blue Account

You can still renew your domain

4. omelet

No way..names directly transferred out of my account. You lost your control.

5. HappyW

HappyW Collector VIP

Dynadot used to force me to provide personal identification, and this has nothing to do with ICANN's requirements, just their own information collection.

Similarly, I found that they have different servers in different countries. (Some information can be found at the bottom of the homepage).I do not know why they did, maybe they come from the founder of China,IMO

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  6. Abdullah Abdullah

Abdullah Abdullah Top Contributor VIP

Congrats to Dynadot. They deserve

7. D Haynes

D Haynes Top Contributor VIP

Didn't know there was even a vote.

8. jmaurya

jmaurya Hemplin.com VIP

9. Dynadot

Dynadot VIP Member Dynadot Staff VIP ICA Member

10. Dynadot

We would only remove domains from your Dynadot account at the end of their grace renewal period, we still provide registrants with their full grace renewal period if the domain was won at auction by another user.

11. Dynadot

We do sometimes require a copy of ID for verification purposes, this would usually only be requested when changes to account information had been requested such as the disabling of 2FA or updating of an email address. We only use the identification to verify its the account holder we're helping access or modify the account in these cases.

12. omelet

Staffs here
    i have two .tv domain registered with Uniregistry in late grace / early redemption, usually I can get them back within uniregistry system, however, it showed names have been transferred away by dynadot. When I noticed, the domains have been auctioned and can no longer get back

This Is super embarrassed. How come dynadot can touch uniregistry names?

This happened a lot of times in previous years

13. omelet

Plus,

When my names in the last two days of grace period, dynadot forbidden to transfer away because you can not unlock and get the auth codes.

Even within the grace period, you have to email their staff to ask them unlock and receive the auth code.

14. Seyikp

Seyikp Established Member

I give it to dynadot, they are one of the best in the industry.

15. stub

stub DNStore.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

They are taken out of your account on day 40. I don't think that's unreasonable AT ALL. You can still renew domains which are in the auction. Even a day or two after the auction is completed.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  16. omelet

Then compare to other registrars, this is not competitively fair to me.

1), more steps to order auth code
    2), shorter time allowed to transfer away
    3), names transferred to other registrars, still possibly transferred back to their auction market
    4), names within grace period, late fee $10?

17. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP Blue Account

least DD aftermarket names are locked 30 days, half of GD 60.

18. omelet

Godaddy no good either.

19. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP Blue Account

You put Dynadot on Godaddy's level :xf.eek:

Godaddy is my least favorite.

20. stub

stub DNStore.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

There are very few registrars which allow you to freely renew your domains up to 40 days. Albeit that is with a $10 redemption fee in the last 10 days. So you can renew up to 30 days without penalty. It would be interesting to know which registrars @omelet is referring to.

21. frostify

frostify Top Contributor VIP

Dynadot is safe enough for Wikileaks.org to be registered with them

22. omelet

As a domainer who holds thousand of domains, I have my pain with dynadot. Here is the mockup situation:

- hundreds of domains are expired, for example, this is the 31st day ( if you ask why not renew earlier? Well, many possible reasons, like no cash flow, or some other typical reasons domainers have). Let's compare the opportunity cost of renewal all or part of them, let's take 50 as the number to renew:

1), at Dynadot (grace period: 40 days, but last 10 days require $10 extra late fee)
    • Renew: ($10 + $8.99) * 50 = $949.50
    • Transfer away:
      • Unable to unlock and receive auth code by yourself;
      • Have to email Dynadot staff to request for unlock and auth codes. This usually need to wait for half day to 2 days
      • If their staff unlocked for you but you don't take action immediately, soon later the names will be locked again and you lose the chance to receive the auth codes; then you have to beg them to re-unlock the domains again, then wait for their responses. If this happened btw 30th - 40th days, you will be easily wasted 3+ days just waiting and negotiating with them. and,
      • It is no way to transfer away in the last 48 hours of the entire grace period, paying $949.50 would be the only option and the cheapest option during last 48 hours.
    2), at Uniregistry (grace period: 40 days, but last 10 days require $10 extra late fee)
    • Renew: ($10 + $8.49) * 50= $924.50 (price almost same)
    • Transfer away:
      • Can download excel sheet with renewable names (within 40 days) and auth codes, no need to wait

3), at Epik (grace period: 35 days, can request for special treatment if send emails)
    • Renew: $8.49 * 50 = $424.50
    • Transfer away:
      • unlock and check auth code immediately

For the domainers like me who manage large volume of expired domains monthly, Dynadot, among the three registrars, is the one who delivered the worst experiences.
    • Financially no advantage
    • The transfer experience is also really unpleasant, and terrible.

@
    [​IMG]
    stub

23. Grilled

Grilled self challenge: don't be kcid a for xis months. VIP

4) Namesilo > https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Expiration-Process

upload_2020-4-6_20-1-18.png

5) NameBright > https://www.namebright.com/Terms
    6) GoDaddy > https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-when-my-domain-expires-609

upload_2020-4-6_20-7-55.png

24. omelet

also I am not sure why Dynadot transferred my Uniregistry names to their auction market. I have a domain name which i bought at $2000 US was transferred to their auction market. I could no longer to even pay Uniregistry the redemption fee to get it back. Uni has no way to get it back, and Dynadot said the domain already won by someone else and I need to contact the new owner.

Why Dynadot can transfer other registrar names to their auction market? Anyone knews? This is not the first time, this has happened several times.

25. DigitalRoar

DigitalRoar Established Member

I feel like the poll was too short. (open time)

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice