Domain Empire

domains Dutch SIDN shuts down 4k+ fake DN web shops in 2019

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Working in tandem with the .nl registrars and other partners, SIDN got 4,340 fake webshops taken down in 2019. A large proportion of the fraudulent sites were detected using new self-teaching tools developed by SIDN Labs. By continuously scanning .nl websites for characteristics associated with fraud, SIDN looks to get scams stopped as early as possible. The time that the domain name was registered and the e-mail address used for registration are two of the features looked at by the tools. As more and more data is gathered, the profiling characteristics used to identify suspect sites are constantly refined: the toolset effectively teaches itself how to recognise fakes.

Working in tandem with the .nl registrars and other partners, SIDN got 4,340 fake webshops taken down in 2019. A large proportion of the fraudulent sites were detected using new self-teaching tools developed by SIDN Labs. By continuously scanning .nl websites for characteristics associated with fraud, SIDN looks to get scams stopped as early as possible. The time that the domain name was registered and the e-mail address used for registration are two of the features looked at by the tools. As more and more data is gathered, the profiling characteristics used to identify suspect sites are constantly refined: the toolset effectively teaches itself how to recognize fakes.

read more (SIDN)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The time that the domain name was registered and the e-mail address used for registration are two of the features looked at by the tools.

Registrars: "Starting a business online is easy! Just register a domain and start selling!"
SIDN: "Oh no you don't!" *BAM*

•••
They're on top of things and have been scanning the namespace for ages to keep it secure and working like it should be.

I may be biased but in my view they're one of the few ccTLD registries that actually run things in a superb manner.

•••
They're on top of things and have been scanning the namespace for ages to keep it secure and working like it should be.

I may be biased but in my view they're one of the few ccTLD registries that actually run things in a superb manner.

True! They're #2 in the world. #1 is VS but considering the latest ongoing fireside-debate let's skip explaining why :)

•••
also ...

Research into fake webshops reveals scammers' methods and leads to thousands of fakes being taken down

read more (SIDN) Download PDF (Counter-fighting Counterfeit: detecting and taking down fraudulent web shops at a ccTLD)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back