Dummie here and need advice please

SpaceshipSpaceship
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Watch

gems

New Member
Impact
0
Hi all - a new member here.

I have absolutely no idea about web designing but need to learn for a business adventure.

I have bought books and trained myself in other programmes and plan to do the same in this case but this is definately in depth.

There seems to be many programmes and code building options and i need to know where would be the best place to start for absolute beginners.

help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. thankyouuuuuu.

I know that publisher comes with the office package and have noticed that it gives the option of building web pages - would this be any good? (i haven't seen it mentioned and just wondered).

( just thought i'd add :blink: these faces are cool)
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Check out this thread here - http://webdesigntalk.net/showthread.php?t=82781

Also

Dont try using programes like Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Publisher i found when i was starting out they were more trouble than they were worht highly frusrating programes.

Use some thing like Microsoft Frontpage, start in design view and go back and for between code view and design view over time you will get the hang of the code :)

Like <b>text here</b> would produce bold text, all html tags end with a / in the tag.
 
0
•••
Microsoft FrontPage is what I am using. It is decent. And yes...switching between Normal page view, and HTML view...you will get the hang of the code.
 
0
•••
Frontpage is dangerous to learn on. It creates very large code heavy pages that are poorly built. I've had to edit pages built with FP and took out as much as 400 lines of a 500 line page. It's crazy. I say it's best to tough it out and get a good free text editor like Crimson editor and cozy up with an HTML book and just work it out slowly. You WILL be the better for it.
 
0
•••
Try this editor:
ConTEXT

Really simple HTML & PHP editor :tu:
 
0
•••
Personally I would steer clear of Microsoft publisher, and as mentioned your probably best experimenting with Microsoft Frontpage, switching between code and WYSIWIG views. If you feel more confident you can always try implementing the codes you have picked up into notepad, but jus pick up as much as you can to start with. Check out some basic coding tutorials online, the HTML one on www.w3schools.com is relatively good.

G'd luck, Adam
 
0
•••
MS Publisher? Do yourself a favor - AVOID IT.
 
0
•••
I would steer clear of frontpage and all others to be honest. Although many will disagree, I dont see why you cant d'load a trial version of dreamweaver and take the time to go through the tutorials. Okay, you'll probably take one look at it and faint (lol) but believe me once you know the basics you'll find it not only easy to use, but also you will be pleased with the result. Frontpage is a bit 1940's for my liking and Adobe's alternative is a let down to Adobe!! (even if they will soon own macromedia :laugh: )

Dreamweaver to win...you'll never look back and you should get the job done quite nicely. Just a little bit of patience :blink:
 
Last edited:
0
•••
I agree, dreamweaver is the way to go. Use photoshop or somthing to create a template and go from there.. I just started doing web design about 2 years ago, and I started with dreaMweaver. Dreamweaver is also a great tool for uploading to your server and editing pages.
 
0
•••
Frontpage no no

For the love of all that is sacred, please dont use frontpage. It makes life for programmers bad. Go with Dreamweaver MX I say. Very easy to use, built for fast production, and mainly, does'nt jack up code. Frontpage will make mince meat out of alot of stuff. :]

~tp
 
0
•••
Frontpage sucks.. it makes ugly sites, and has funny code..
I would say learn html and use it in notepad
 
0
•••
0
•••
I like Hot Dog Professional
 
0
•••
I use Frontpage 2003 because it's very easy to use. But like most WYSIWYG programs, it helps to know a little HTML so that you have more control over your page.
 
0
•••
I cant belive that there are still people out there who use Frontpage.

Go with dreamweaver or notepad
 
0
•••
Yeah, its ok for experienced coders, but this guy is asking for a newbie advice. Simply stating "use notepad", means what to him?? Draw pretty pictures on.??

Unfortunately, MS applications are so widespread nowadays that anyone used to publisher will find frontpage extremely easy to use. They will no doubt make the same mistakes as everyone else who has made the transition i.e. begin designing in frames (as this is similar to how publisher works) and then move on to tables, photoshop, dreamweaver MX and then notepad. But a learning curve must take place first.

And a note for the threadstarter, do not even attempt to publish a website using word /publisher. The reason for this is that the page coding has not been designed for such and something even frontpage would cover in just a few lines of code, is masses of stuff in Publisher or word. What this means that even the most basic of basic sites will take an age to upload
 
0
•••
I'd say use Dreamweaver ;), but it costs alot of :$:
 
0
•••
get dreamweaver, or use notepad, no way to frontpage, i have used it once and 2 days later it was gone from my computer, i use dreamweaver hardly ever, notepad is great :D
 
0
•••
AIVikingsAIVikings

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back