Domain Empire

advice Don't Abuse GoDaddy Promos: They will delete your account!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Chris Hydrick

Top Member
Impact
Hi...

I was just informed that a newly created GoDaddy account of mine was deleted for coupon abuse. The pun is this is I'm Jewish, and well, I didn't know that was such a thing. In my culture, coupons are as good as cash. I am very upset right now. :(

Dear GoDaddy Customer,

Thank you for being our valued customer. Your account has been reviewed by our verification office as a precautionary measure to defend you from possible misuse of either your payment method or products in your account. As a result of this review, your recent order(s) in shopper account ######## have been cancelled. Please note that refunds issued to the original payment method are normally processed by your payment provider and/or issuing bank within five to 10 business days. However, some payment providers may hold the funds for a full billing cycle or longer. For further information regarding refund processing timeframes, or if you require assistance locating a refund submitted back to your original payment method, please direct your inquiry to your financial institution.

If you feel this action has been taken in error and would like to request reinstatement, please login to your account with us today. During the login process, our secure site will prompt you to upload a viewable, scanned copy of the payment method account holder's government-issued photo identification, such as a driver's license or passport. In the comments box, we ask that you also provide a brief explanation of how you intend to use the product(s) purchased.

Upon receipt of the requested documentation, we will re-evaluate the status of your account. We thank you in advance for your cooperation and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,
Verification Office

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No, they were not registered by anyone else. Check the whois. For example:

Domain Name: BIGBEARSKI.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 146
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Name Server: NS1.SUSPENDED-FOR.SPAM-AND-ABUSE.COM
Name Server: NS2.SUSPENDED-FOR.SPAM-AND-ABUSE.COM
Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Status: clientRenewProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Status: clientUpdateProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Updated Date: 05-mar-2015
Creation Date: 04-mar-2015
Expiration Date: 04-mar-2016

•••
Phhhhhhhhhewwww -- Which whois do you use? I was using who.is and they cache the previous domain owner. When I checked all I was seeing were names associated with the domains that were not me.

•••
Phhhhhhhhhewwww -- Which whois do you use? I was using who.is and they cache the previous domain owner. When I checked all I was seeing were names associated with the domains that were not me.
I usually use whois.com, just because it was the one I have known for as long as I can remember. You can also use the GD one at the footer of their site.

•••
Sorry to hear that mate,

Could you please explain EXACTLY what you did to get banned? How many GoDaddy accounts do you have? Are they registered on one name?

Thanks for you answer in this difficult time.

•••
how many domains you had in that particular account?

•••
Send to GoDaddy and "upload a viewable, scanned copy of the payment method account holder's government-issued photo identification, such as a driver's license or passport. In the comments box, we ask that you also provide a brief explanation of how you intend to use the product(s) purchased. " or just call and will be ok - happend to me , yes because registred to much in 1 day , after i talk (easy to call) they unlock my account.
Yes is truth to have percaution not registred to much special with promo code

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm a little lost in this right now, after talking with customer service again, as they are unfamiliar with this and can only assume I send an email with my drivers license and payment method used attached to [email protected]. However, these were purchased with a gift card. The rep said they can't unlock an account over the phone, so I'm a little confused with how you accomplished this over the phone @webpro75

•••
What gift card? promo code? or something else
When happend to me i send via email driver license and description i am a sell and buy domain names/ after i talk on phone

•••
Last edited:
•••
Gift card as in a Visa Gift Card. So the name on the credit card says gift card recipient, and not my name. Do you remember the email address you were referred to?

•••
Hi...

I was just informed that a newly created GoDaddy account of mine was deleted for coupon abuse. The pun is this is I'm Jewish, and well, I didn't know that was such a thing. I mean this is nowhere near as harmful as them extreme couponing TV Shows. Still, I am very upset right now. :(

Dear GoDaddy Customer,

Thank you for being our valued customer. Your account has been reviewed by our verification office as a precautionary measure to defend you from possible misuse of either your payment method or products in your account. As a result of this review, your recent order(s) in shopper account ######## have been cancelled. Please note that refunds issued to the original payment method are normally processed by your payment provider and/or issuing bank within five to 10 business days. However, some payment providers may hold the funds for a full billing cycle or longer. For further information regarding refund processing timeframes, or if you require assistance locating a refund submitted back to your original payment method, please direct your inquiry to your financial institution.

If you feel this action has been taken in error and would like to request reinstatement, please login to your account with us today. During the login process, our secure site will prompt you to upload a viewable, scanned copy of the payment method account holder's government-issued photo identification, such as a driver's license or passport. In the comments box, we ask that you also provide a brief explanation of how you intend to use the product(s) purchased.

Upon receipt of the requested documentation, we will re-evaluate the status of your account. We thank you in advance for your cooperation and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,
Verification Office

I don't see anything in that email that says the problem was your abuse of coupons. Is that what they told you on the phone? To me, the way it reads is that their system found your payment suspicious.

•••
Yes, that is what they told me the first time I called. They also said they had sent me an email notifying me this in February, however, when I remindered her this account was created in March, she stuck to her story yet wasn't able to tell me which email it was sent to, as I have no record of it.

The second rep I had talked to had no knowledge of this being coupon abuse.

•••
Yes, that is what they told me the first time I called. They also said they had sent me an email notifying me this in February, however, when I remindered her this account was created in March, she stuck to her story yet wasn't able to tell me which email it was sent to, as I have no record of it.

The second rep I had talked to had no knowledge of this being coupon abuse.

How many accounts do you use in total for coupon purposes?

•••
•••
•••
I just talked to them a third time, and confirmed this is due to coupon abuse. I now have to work exclusively through the verification department email to try and get this resolved.

•••
This happened because of payment method, IMO. And registering too many domains in a day with coupons is also the reason.

It was sad to hear this.

•••
This is just an ID verification process, nothing dangerous. Afaik, it it triggered NOT because of using coupons, but because of buying too many domains on the same day, especially with a credit card that they have not asked you previously to verify. Once they get your documents, these checks very rarely happen again.

P.S. And you are not loosing your domains. Just tell them to reverse the cancellation process, when you are prompted. Probably it has not even started yet.

•••
This is just an ID verification process,

I hope this is the case. But there seems to be a note in my account from the verification dept referencing the coupon abuse warning email sent. I now have to work exclusively with this department through email to figure out the next step.

•••
In order to buy with coupons, you need to provide a credit / debit card (and not Paypal). This credit card must have your name on it, in order to get verified. Perhaps the reason they raised the coupon abuse issue is that you used a gift card, which I assume can not be verified, as it does not have a name on it.

•••
Perhaps the reason they raised the coupon abuse issue is that you used a gift card, which I assume can not be verified, as it does not have a name on it.

Exactly my concern. Name on card at check out might have said gift card as well :/ The sun is now rising, and it is now time for me to go to sleep and worry about this tomorrow. [sick to my stomach]

•••
Ok. Is it possible that the problem stems from using gift cards instead of regular credit cards?

It could be this, or, because I used my checking account on seperate Godaddy accounts.

•••
Afaik, it it triggered NOT because of using coupons, but because of buying too many domains on the same day, especially with a credit card that they have not asked you previously to verify.

You are giving the OP the benefit of the doubt which you shouldn't be doing. He has admitted that he had multiple accounts created specifically to abuse coupons. Godaddy is in the right here.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back