Dynadot

Domain strategy: three or four "perfect" domains or hundreds of third-tier domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Carolina.SC

Established Member
Impact
Would you rather have a few "perfect" domains... or hundreds of second and third-tier domains?

By "perfect", I mean one-word .com's with economic importance.

Actually, in the case of my collection, it would be an exact-match capital city in the .com or its respective country's ccTLD.

An example of a second-tier name would be one word, but in the .org or something -- or a decent two-word combination in the .com.

Third tier would be anything less than that.

If I had to choose between my "top five" domains, or the entire rest of my collection, I would choose the top five.

I feel like some people might be flushing thousands of dollars on a vast collection of lesser domains, while the "smart play" would be to save up money to buy one or two top-tier domains.

The key question is not how many domains you have, but how much your collection is worth, right? One nice aspect of having a small, but very valuable, collection is less expense on renewal fees.

Am I missing something?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dodoma has been recognised as the capital since the late 60s or early 70s, nothing has changed in all these years.

Regarding New Alamein, they have been talking about this since around 2015, if you google the project and check some of the article dates you will see. They have been selling New Alamein properties for ages on propertyfinder and other real estate sites. These new cities/major projects (Dubai, Bharain, Qatar, Oman, Morocco etc) have been done for years, and many domainers have been buying name relating to them for years

I guess you've been out of the loop in recent years regarding Dodoma. Yes, it was officially recognized as the capital in 1974, but Dar es Salaam remained the de facto capital until Magufuli's first presidential term (he was just now "re-elected").

At this point the executive branch, legislative, and judicial have finally all moved to Dodoma. He was just sworn in for his second term in Dodoma -- the first time a president took the oath in Dodoma, not Dar es Salaam.

In terms of your comment about New Alamein, my name is not just "related" to that new city, it's the exact match in the .com. And yes, it's not the first new city, but it's also clear that Dubai_com is arguably a domain worth more than one or two million dollars.

Will New Alamein immediately be as big as Dubai? No, but I also don't need a million dollars to change my original purchase price into a very profitable return.

I bought it in the summer of 2019 when the construction was no so far along and it seemed more like just an idea.

Last edited:
•••
NewAlamein.com - You have to think who will buy it off you, not the developer as they would have purchased it pre-2015 if the were going to use it, maybe developing is your best option here.

Not been out the loop at all, its just the reality, its easy to google some facts, but thats just fluff thats doesnt affect domains. This doesnt increase the price of the name? Dodoma, like Canberra here, will still be a little town where the politicians live. Ask your average Tanzanian about this, a lot of the locals have never even been to Dodoma, its miles from any of the major tourist spots too so people dont have to go there.

Just giving advice thats all. I do wish you all the best though.

I agree that for the time being, developing New Alamein is the smart move. Unfortunately, although the construction is progressing rapidly, most of the city remains a construction site. I will probably wait two years before I visit the city to start some development.

In terms of Dodoma, I think the demographics and overall situation are closer to Nigeria than Australia. Abuja is seeing population growth of 6% per year. Dodoma will probably have more than that for the first few years and then perhaps level off at 6%.

Every 10 years it will probably double in size. I'll be old by the time it's a city of five million people, but my children won't.

•••
By the way, in addition to a new airport and a new ring road in the new capital DODOMA, the Tanzanian gov't is also constructing a new ultra-modern sports arena with a seating capacity of 100,000.

Big changes... moving fast. Looks like I picked the right time to grab the exact-match .com.

•••
a fact is,the renewal cost for top.com and anythirdtierdomain.com is same...

•••
a fact is,the renewal cost for top.com and anythirdtierdomain.com is same...

Is your point that the ratio of value / renewal (in .com’s) favors top-tier domains, whereas renewal price becomes an issue with lesser domains?

•••
If your strategy is to buy only premium domains and hold on them then this is not scalable, you will not have enough sales to expand your portfolio and you may get stuck with a small portfolio, unless you have loads of cash to start with and can buy many premium domains.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I think that's where I am: "stuck" with a fairly small portfolio of about 100 premium (or at least high quality names.) Geo names starting with Guatemala.GT / Monterrey.MX on the high end and going down to IdahoFalls.ID (name hack) on the "low" end.

On the bright side, having a small portfolio means manageable renewal fees.

(Change of topic: Is my Idaho Falls name technically a name hack? Something like "IdahoFal.ls" would be a name hack, but does it count if one uses a country-code [Indonesia] as a state abbreviation [Idaho]?)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back