Dynadot

Domain search data sold?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Twice this week, after doing some domain searching, I noticed within an hour of searching for domains, they are registered by people hiding behind whois privacy.

I found an article written in 2007 where the author talks about companies selling domain search data.

http://www.dailydomainer.com/200775-domain-tasting-monitoring-searches.html

At the bottom of the article he writes:

Set up your own domain search tool or approach registrars that will sell you their search data

Sell you their search data??

I wouldn't be surprised if this is STILL going on, especially due to my experience in the last week or so.

The funny part is, I'm not upset about the fact that the domain was registered, but I'm pissed off at the business ethics of most domain registrars these days.

If it isn't too hard to get a registrar up and running, we may just as well start our own damn thing so none of these shady companies get a dime from us.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ebay loving some fish?
Hahahahahha....

Well, both carp and cr@p stink, don't they?

I used to haunt the jewelry section of the ebay forum, and even mild cussing was not allowed.

But I digress from the topic, though injecting a little humor can't hurt.

I have no doubt that at least some of the major registrars are snooping.

I'm not sure how they sort through all those seaches, but I suspect that they have some proprietary tools to help them identify the cream (such as it is).

•••
how can we find premium domain name?

•••
•••
•••
•••
I pm'ed you the domain, and as far as we can tell the domain has NEVER been registered before.
Are you sure that it has never been registered before? If it is a dictionary domain then it is highly probable that it was registered before. There are also stealth registrations that do not appear in the zone file (no associated nameservers) but are registered.(Currently looking at a list of these domains in .com as I've been working on a new domain name Supercruncher database.) Any hoster using a domain availability checker that queries the authoritative nameservers for .com (or the relevant TLD) will wrongly indicate that the domain is available because the NXDOMAIN is received by the script. Some expired domains in Pending Delete phase may also not be in the zone file.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Yes jmcc, I'm sure the domain has never been registered before. It's a typo of a dictionary domain.

•••
Yes jmcc, I'm sure the domain has never been registered before. It's a typo of a dictionary domain.
At a guess, if it is a typo of a dictionary word then it is likely to have been registered previously (and perhaps dropped) during the Domain Tasting period (2005-2009). Millions of such domains were being registered and dropped almost daily in that period. It was like a month's domain activity taking place within a day. It may still be that the registrar/reseller you were checking through was just using a check against the zonefile rather than a full registry check. This kind of check would miss an on hold/pending delete domain because it was not in the zonefile.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
hey pal
Even i am Frustrating when searching for names and then you go back to the ones you like best to find they are now taken.
it happens many time with many people...
above all a blooger need patience and consistence in his work..
Happy blogging..hope it helps you..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back