Dynadot

sales Domain Sales Don't Add Up

NameSilo
Watch

Whizzbang

VIP Member
ParkLogic.com
Impact
I was crunching some numbers today on the domain sales market and a number of things just didn’t add up for me. It would appear that as an industry we are going backwards….which should be a little bit of a concern.

The first thing I wanted to do was try and dimension the size of the domain sales market. I decided to start with the estimated size of the Sedo marketplace as they quite regularly published their numbers. I was more interested in the number of domains sold and also proportions of the size of each sale.

After some mathematical magic, I came to an estimated sales volume of just shy of $37m for 2016…..I think this is a little low as some of the larger outliers will push the number up to around $50m. If there’s anyone from Sedo that can confirm or deny this number that would be awesome!

The next question I asked was what proportion of the total market does Sedo have? Sedo actually sold around 99 of the top 304 domain sales for 2016….which suggests about 32% of the domain market. This seems a little on the high side to me.

Read More >

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
there was no need for hundreds of new extensions. There were already too many aftermarket domains for sale.

the new TLDs where not invented to support domainers
but to fill the pockets of the registries

•••
I think you are arguing that things are even worse than I'm suggesting......I don't disagree.

•••
What I see is a lot of real number crunching mixed with a lot of guesstimation.

Not sure what we can take away from your analysis other than access to real data would make it imensenly more useful. As it stands your guess is as good as mine.

•••
I was crunching some numbers today on the domain sales market and a number of things just didn’t add up for me. It would appear that as an industry we are going backwards….which should be a little bit of a concern.

Read More >

Keep in mind, Sales are made by salespeople. More aggressive salespeople change the scenario. I am sure there is a large proportion of domain owners that buy, list it and set up a landing page and hope for the best. I've seen some pretty stupid domain names go for big bucks and some gems that sold for cheap! (It's the seller, believe me!)

•••
Exactly @Whizzbang! :)

After a bit of thinking I’ve come to the conclusion that a domain is like buying a ticket in the lottery. If you don’t buy a ticket then you have 100% chance of losing…..and no one likes these odds.

•••

its a much better calculated risk
then in the lottery

I really can't believe the nonsense posted

it you take an inhumogenic mass
like all the domain names existing

and compare that with the sales

you compare not related stuff

have a look at the daily drop list
and have a look at the daily sales list

you want to compare that
thats BS

Last edited:
•••
As far as those of us carrying large inventory, only the big operators with deeper pockets will be able to ride out the lean times. So far though, I've never had a month where I haven't pulled in much more than I've had to spend on maintaining registrations. (y)

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back