Dynadot

Domain Leasing....?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi everyone :hearts:

I was just wondering if anyone has ever leased their domains, if it's worth it, and provide any information about domain leasing and past experiences. Also, if it is worth it, what type of prices are reasonable, and what kind of agreement(s) are put in place?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

:blink:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domain leasing? Never heard of that one before.., but if it gives another person access to your domain for a period of time, it is really not a very secure thing to do because there is nothing stopping the buyer from changing the logins or transferring the domain without your notice.

Sorry if I misunderstood the term you were looking for.

•••
I personally think its not the path to travel since, when you get into Domain Leasing alot of issues arise such as:
-Whos Details in the Who-is?
-Proper procedure if you get an Offer for the Domain?
-Is it really cost effective?
-If the person or company is willing to lease the domain and go through the hassle for a limited cost-saving effect, they might just be better off buying the domain.
-And if the domain isnt sellable to someone who clearly wants it enough to lease it, perhaps a price drop is in order.

•••
I have heard about leasing/renting domains, however in my opinion I would just register the domain so I know that I will have full control over the domain in the many years to come.

•••
to be honest, i cant see many people wanting to lease a domain name and make a reputation for it, just for it to be taken away from them at a later date.

Although, domains that always have traffic, like a keyword might be good to lease, so that the company is paying for the traffic the domain brings rather than the actual domain.

•••
You all :kickass:

Thanks for your responses!

I've seen some sites that lease/rent domains and I thought maybe I was missing out on something. I do agree that if there are so many potential issues associated with leasing, it's not worth the torment.

•••
One guy wanted to lease a domain from me because he didn't have the cash to buy it straightout, so we worked out terms... If he buys it within 8 mos, it's so much... if within a year, it's a little more. After that, the lease is void (which would be hard for his since he's already built a site on it).

Seems like it will work out fine. I've kept all the registration info in my name and not handed over any access to the domain at this point.

•••
Originally posted by cybernym
One guy wanted to lease a domain from me because he didn't have the cash to buy it straightout, so we worked out terms... If he buys it within 8 mos, it's so much... if within a year, it's a little more. After that, the lease is void (which would be hard for his since he's already built a site on it).

Seems like it will work out fine. I've kept all the registration info in my name and not handed over any access to the domain at this point.
Oh, I guess I misunderstood the concept, you don't give out the login? So you change nameservers and stuff for the renter?

•••
Right I dont think they have access to change anything.

•••
Originally posted by identity_00
Right I dont think they have access to change anything.
ah, then that's acceptable

•••
Wow, I guess it can work- but it's going to suck for the guy who leases if you sell the name to someone else. Is it part of the agreement that you can't do that?- I wonder...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back