NameSilo

.tv Does Verisign purposely want to get sued?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DNWizardX9

Account Closed
Impact
couldn't verisign get sued for being a trust for keeping all the good names as premium only at their only registrar? I mean every single thing these guys release. Are they dumb or what? Every thing they announce tries to destroy the competition. ICANN is lame :P

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No they could not they have an exclusive deal to run DOT TV they can charge whatever they like this is not a public utility. and even registrars that don't run ext's charge differently like Moniker charges $18.99 Non wholesale to reg a .com and GODADDY charges $8 registrars can charge what they like.

•••
equity78 said:
No they could not they have an exclusive deal to run DOT TV they can charge whatever they like this is not a public utility. and even registrars that don't run ext's charge differently like Moniker charges $18.99 Non wholesale to reg a .com and GODADDY charges $8 registrars can charge what they like.
your comparing apples and oranges.....
what you said godaddy and moniker charges for .com's had nothing to do with what i said..... i was talking about monopoly power mainly not allowing others to reg the premiums but i get ur point

however verisign has such a large warchest they should publicize .tv everywhere. look what the news did with .eu. Everyone in europe knows about it now... verisign should follow in their path

•••
No you are mixing things DOT TV is Verisigns to RUN not yours mine or anyone elses on this planet. AND No offense people know about .tv .TV is not a domainer extension
SONY www.ps3.tv Knows about .tv
TIME WARNER www.tnt.tv knows about .tv
Ultimate Fighting Championship www.ufc.tv knows about.tv
CHannel 5 in Britain www.five.tv knows about .tv
Major league Baseball www.mlb.tv knows about .tv
and so do 1000's of other companies

No offense But Verisign with DOT TV does not care about you or I they care about major companies paying hefty reg fees to develop names in the DOT TV space. SOME domainers have realized the value of dot tv and invested in the ext, most domainers do not like .tv and .tv does not like them so I guess that a good relationship. They can charge whatever they like for any premium name its their ext to do what they want with, News.tv $1,000,000 no one has to buy it which they probably won't.

•••
best philosophy ever... Charging premium prices...

Do you think if verisign had decided to charge regular prices throughout, or regular domains at $8 etc this forum would have ever been created??

If all .tv's were at $8 or similar, the extension itself would have never begun to take off because 2 weeks after its release, every short, memorable and/or brandable name would have been bought up by probably a handful of investors, then large media companies that are now adopting the brand would have thought twice at the thought of having to deal with domain speculators who got there first...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back