IT.COM

Does changing the Registrant/Owner details lock the domain for 60 days for not being able to transfer out?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Allysin

Established Member
Impact
I am rather confused on this. I believe I asked one registrar whether updating my Registrant (owner) domain Email address would lock the domain for any possible transfer out for 60 days and they told me NO, it wouldn't (that I would be able to transfer out after the change no problem).

Then I have actually done this with another registrar and they DID put a 60-day lock on!

Is there like an industry standard in this or does every registrar make up their own rules? Is there a list somewhere with the information on which registrars do lock and which ones do not after updating the Registrant Contact information?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I just found this:

Many registrars invoke a similar lock after a change in registrant details, while some do not, or have a shorter period. Here is the ICANN statement on the 60-day lock.

Registrars must impose a lock that will prevent any transfer to another registrar for sixty (60) days following a change to a registrant's information. Registrars may (but are not required to) allow registrants to opt out of the 60-day lock prior to the change of registrant request. Contact your registrar to see if they will allow you to opt out of the 60-day lock period.

I guess I need to find out which registrars let me 'opt out' !

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back