Dynadot

.us Do you have to be resident of America to buy .us ??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gazzip

First Time Poster !VIP Member
Impact
Hi All, do you have to be a resident to buy .us legally ? and what's the going price to buy a .us ? Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To legally have a .Us domain name (and I'm not 100% sure of this, I'm not very familiar with the .Us extension) - the 'domain administrator' information has to be all within the United States. That is to my knowledge though.

•••
Thanks - do you know of any other legal or acceptable way for a UK Limey to purchase one ? I despiretly need to find out quickly :) or where I can find out the rules for .us - thanks

:td: I just found out I can't, does anyone know how to get round this ?
(apart from getting married :lol: )

I have heared something about reging using a "proxy" ??

I have no idea how this works - can anyone give me some advice on this please :)

Last edited:
•••
You don't have to be US resident. Being a US citizen is another way to qualify.
Check out the registry: www.nic.us for the specs.
If you don't qualify you can either
- find someone who will register them on your behalf (proxy)
- set up a US company (which could be dormant actually) for the purpose of holding the names so you do it legally.

BTW the pricing is similar to .com. Neustar (the registry) charges registrars $5.50 per .us name.

•••
sdsinc said:
You don't have to be US resident. Being a US citizen is another way to qualify.
Check out the registry: www.nic.us for the specs.
If you don't qualify you can either
- find someone who will register them on your behalf (proxy)
- set up a US company (which could be dormant actually) for the purpose of holding the names so you do it legally.

BTW the pricing is similar to .com. Neustar (the registry) charges registrars $5.50 per .us name.

Thanks Kate, do you know of any reg companies that can offer this "proxy" service ?
I just stumbled accross one .us I would love to get, one register I checked said it was available but I find it a bit hard to beleive !

...UPDATE - NEVER MIND :hehe: .......................................................

A register said that Beer.us was available !!!!! --- They were WRONG

I'v never seen my credit card come out so fast :lol:

Last edited:
•••
It would have been a nice one indeed ;)
I find it increasingly difficult to find good .us names but there are still decent names around. Don't know how long it will last :yell:

•••
beer.us would have been a great name. So Im confused, you do have to be a us resident

•••
def1 said:
beer.us would have been a great name. So Im confused, you do have to be a us resident

YES :td:

Who can register a .US domain name?
Any U.S. citizen or resident, as well as any business or organization, including federal, state, and local government with a bona fide presence in the United States can register a .US domain name.

One of the following eligibility requirements must be met:

A natural person (i) who is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories or (ii) whose primary place of domicile is in the United States of America or any of its possessions, or

Any entity or organization that is incorporated within one of the fifty (50) U.S. states, the District of Columbia, or any of the United States possessions or territories or (ii) organized or otherwise constituted under the laws of a state of the United States of America, the District of Columbia, or any of its possessions or territories, or

An entity or organization (including federal, state, or local government of the United States, or a political subdivision thereof) that has a bona fide presence in the United States. See Section B.3.1 of the NeuStar proposal to the Department of Commerce for details concerning what constitutes a “bona fide presence.“

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back