Dynadot

discuss Do you have a spreadsheet tracking the infractions handed down to you by mods?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Chris Hydrick

Top Member
Impact
This is not meant to be antagonistic.

Simply looking for solutions.

As when we receive alerts from mods of deleted content, or infractions, we are often left to wonder how that alert affected our account. As every action has a reaction, I'm wondering if the mods take into account the overall infractions against a member, and how that will impact that members site usage going forward.

I'm a believer that almost every member is an asset to the community. In some way, shape or form.

And I hope the mods/site management appreciate us psuedo independent content makers accordingly, and with defined limits.

Taking ownership of that value, one has to ask oneself, is the juice worth the squeeze?

How to know, if not taking an accurate measurement?

I'm thinking of creating a spreadsheet of my infractions.

However, the first difficulty is when a alert is received, that alert links to the initial thread, and dependent on the length of the thread, and the amount of posts you've made in said thread, finding the exact infraction might be difficult.

Nonetheless, for infractions, where I feel were either improperly worded, or didn't take into account the intent of the post, I will keep file just as the mods do. Simply, if I notice a period where the mods have received a higher than the threshold allows amount of negative points, I will deactivate my account, until a time I feel comfortable enough to return. This way, less emotion, more data driven decisions.

Admittedly, the juice in this might not be worth the squeeze. Mainly a rough draft first thought. Just putting it out there.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I can’t speak for the community management team, but from a technical perspective, just because you receive an alert doesn’t mean anything is actually recorded (visibly) on your account. I believe the community management team generally tries to communicate about issues rather than dishing out infractions left and right. At least from my perspective, they do their best to be consistent and fair to everyone—but I’m an onlooker who doesn’t have in-depth knowledge of their procedures.

For the record, I only see one active warning on your account, and it’s pretty generic. I can’t easily check, but most of the alerts you receive are probably just from moderators notifying you that they’ve intervened in some way. While we do keep records of such things, on their own, they don’t affect your account, and they’re not typically visible to moderators. If you’ve actually received a proper infraction or limitation, you’ll usually get a DM with details.

From a technical perspective, the ability to customize these alerts is somewhat limited. They often use XenForo’s phrase system to support translations, which means the wording might not perfectly fit the circumstances. Also, if a moderator is doing a lot of cleanup in a thread that has been derailed, you might get a bunch of alerts, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you did anything wrong. If the alerts contain custom, moderator-supplied text asking you to refrain from something in the future, it’s just that—a request. Unless the moderator also issues a formal warning, it’s only going to show in the moderator logs, which are grouped by thread and moderator, not by user.

•••
For the record, I only see one active warning on your account, and it’s pretty generic.

I was more so just trying to convey some feedback, while the water is cool, so I better know how to handle things if the water were to come to a boil. But thank you for taking the time to look into it.

I know mods have a lot to do. And being meticulous about wording probably isn't the highest priory. Though, with a little more thinking, or if the wording behind the templated theme, could take a more disarming and descriptive approach.
Maybe a DM, containing the deleted message, and a continued open line of communication might be better than an alert to the thread, missing the content.

Spreadsheet was just an idea to maybe help better work within the rules and procedures.

Nevertheless, thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back