Dynadot

.biz Do they really bust you for .BIZ?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I want to register a few .biz with no intention of making a commercial site. What is the probability they will track me down- find I have no commercial interest- and take the domain away from me? On Sedo there are tens of thousands of .biz dn's for sale (w/ no website). What the deal!!??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
woops- wrong forum- can you please move

•••
JamesFNomar said:
woops- wrong forum- can you please move

[/Moved to the "Domain Name Discussion" Forum, per request].
Thanks much.
-Jeff B-)

•••
The probability is 0.0000001%.

•••
Who has time to do all such research?

•••
Also the resources and cost associated with doing it ...
would be too high for .biz to make any profit..

•••
That's what I figured! Thanks!

•••
JamesFNomar said:
I want to register a few .biz with no intention of making a commercial site. What is the probability they will track me down- find I have no commercial interest- and take the domain away from me? On Sedo there are tens of thousands of .biz dn's for sale (w/ no website). What the deal!!??
JamesFNomar said:
That's what I figured! Thanks!
BUT if some jealous guy decide to report you after your site is established, you are cooked!

on the other hand, if you just buy/sell, thats legit biz;)

•••
•••
JamesFNomar said:

What is ICANN's or NeuLevel's definition of a commercial site for .biz? Anyone have a link?

•••
From NeuLevel:

Do .BIZ domain names have restrictions?

Yes. The .BIZ domain can only be used for a "bona fide business or commercial use". A bona fide business use is one of the following:

To exchange goods, services, or property of any kind;

In the ordinary course of trade or business; or

To facilitate (i) the exchange of goods, services, information, or property of any kind; or, (ii) the ordinary course of trade or business.

Registering a domain name solely for the purposes of (1) selling, trading or leasing the domain name for compensation, or (2) the unsolicited offering to sell, trade or lease the domain name for compensation does not constitute a "bona fide business or commercial use" of that domain name.

For illustration purposes, the following do not constitute a "bona fide business or commercial use" of a domain name:

Using or intending to use the domain name exclusively for personal, noncommercial purposes; or

Using or intending to use the domain name exclusively for the expression of noncommercial ideas (i.e., registering abcsucks.biz exclusively to criticize or otherwise express an opinion on the products or services of ABC company, with no other intended business or commercial purpose).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back