IT.COM

Definition of: Domain Name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dwayne

Account Suspended
Impact
hello, i'm doing a project on domain names since its very interesting to me, my project has to try to convince the audience why buying and selling domains is cool/exciting/fun/etc.. so i went to www.askjeeves.com and they gave me the definition for domain names

Quick Definitions for 'domain name' Email This | About

noun: strings of letters used to name organizations and computers and addresses on the internet

does anyone agree with that?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, like I agree that women are made for men. :rolleyes:

•••
I don't think it's very direct or correct... try this one, but slim it down:

The unique name that identifies an Internet site. Domain Names always have 2 or more parts, separated by dots. The part on the left is the most specific, and the part on the right is the most general. A given machine may have more than one Domain Name but a given Domain Name points to only one machine. For example, the domain names: matisse.net mail.matisse.net workshop.matisse.net can all refer to the same machine, but each domain name can refer to no more than one machine. Usually, all of the machines on a given Network will have the same thing as the right-hand portion of their Domain Names (matisse.net in the examples above). It is also possible for a Domain Name to exist but not be connected to an actual machine. This is often done so that a group or business can have an Internet e-mail address without having to establish a real Internet site. In these cases, some real Internet machine must handle the mail on behalf of the listed Domain Name.

•••
LOL

Domain name : A delusionary state that affects certain people who think that computer generated letters, dashes and numbers can make them rich overnight.

•••
i'm serious about this, its my project :

•••
mole said:
LOL

Domain name : A delusionary state that affects certain people who think that computer generated letters, dashes and numbers can make them rich overnight.
that's me!

•••
A name that identifies one or more IP addresses. For example, the domain name microsoft.com represents about a dozen IP addresses. Domain names are used in URLs to identify particular Web pages. For example, in the URL http://www.pcwebopedia.com/index.html, the domain name is pcwebopedia.com.

a domain name is the unique name that identifies an Internet site. Domain Names always have 2 or more parts, separated by dots.

DOMAIN NAME - An addressing construct used for identifying and locating computers on the Internet. Domain names provide a system of easy-to-remember Internet addresses, which can be translated by the Domain Name System (DNS) into the numeric addresses (Internet Protocol (IP) numbers) used by the network. A domain name is hierarchical and often conveys information about the type of entity using the domain name. A domain name is simply a label that represents a domain, which is a subset of the total domain name space. Domain names at the same level of the hierarchy must be unique. Thus, for example, there can be only one .COM at the top-level of the hierarchy, and only one networksolutions.com at the next level of the hierarchy.

Here are some definitions.

•••
Domain name: A name for "domain". (Self-answered?) Just purely for humor purposes, hehe.

•••
mole said:
LOL

hahaha this is one of the funniest things ive ever read on this forum lmao....

•••
selfmindead said:
hahaha this is one of the funniest things ive ever read on this forum lmao....

'ever' being less than 2 weeks?? :blink:

Domain Name: The alpha numeric equivilant of an ip address that, for a brief period in history, was the standard in internet protocol.

•••
Some definitions from Google that I liked,

So what is a domain name? It’s a web address, just like amazon.com or yahoo.com. Although every computer on the Internet has a number, domain names were invented so that people wouldn’t have to bother with them. Even though you might find it hard to remember a domain name, you’d probably find it even harder to remember a 12-digit number!
Source: http://2-minute-website.com/domain_name.html

What is a domain name? Do I need one for a business Web site?

A domain name is the Web site address for a particular site, such as www.AllBusiness.com or www.microsoft.com. Each site has to have its own unique name.

Domain names are obtained either from a registrar (such as networksolutions.com, register.com, or godaddy.com) or bought from an individual holder.

http://www.allbusiness.com/qa/QA.asp?ID=1641

and -> http://www.igoldrush.com/intro2.htm

This one is good (old, but still good).

•••
numbers and letters that can make you rich, in this case, the shorter the better;)

•••
thank you for all your guys help ;)

•••
•••
"Your domain name.. is a rare & valuable asset.. there is only ONE like it in the world"

•••
collieri said:
'ever' being less than 2 weeks?? :blink:

Domain Name: The alpha numeric equivilant of an ip address that, for a brief period in history, was the standard in internet protocol.

I'd give i atleast 1 week, but it actually made me "laugh out loud"

•••
mole said:
LOL

You got my vote

•••
i used a few of these definitions, ty ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back