Dynadot

Dedicated email 4 GreatDomains ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Have some names I would like to run by Great Domains that are currently parked w/ GoDaddy and w/o email address linked directly to the DN url. ie [email protected] and not as sub-domain address. Great Domains requires email address connected to the domain.
Any suggestions for a good, simple way to handle getting email to domain address w/ a DN I don't intend to develop and only need 4 the purpose of receiving an email or 2? Have looked into, (but am still cloudy on on) email forwarding, using a shared server, and DNS/POP/SMPT mini server progs (Rhino Software 4 one). Any help in sorting some of this out greatly appreciated.:tri:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thats a very interesting question you have raise. i would also like to know the process.thanks everybody for replying.

•••
In other words, if one wishes to potentially list the domain, "Grrilla.com" on GD's ... one must have the Admin. WhoiIs e-mail address of, for instance, "[email protected]"?!? :o
Thanks.

•••
That's right.. Gr Domains emails "[email protected]" w/ confirmation and decision regarding submittal. Have been toying w/ different ways of handling this w/o going the full fledge hosting/1 yr email commitment which is the solution I received from GoDaddy when I inquired. (BTW, OT- have been having difficulty lately getting clear answers to ??'s from GDaddy-my email inquirie regarding this ? was returned w/ an ad).
I have cable modem w/ dynamic IP address. Also have enough webserver space to put a few simple sites up w/ ISP (assuming they will allow-also had trouble getting direct answer to this ?).

Have been toying w/ following concepts:

1) Using a mini-DNS personal server DNS4me
DNS4Me is a dynamic DNS service from RhinoSoft.com that makes it possible for you to start hosting your own web site, FTP server, mail server, and more right now. Why trust anyone else with your web site and files when you can do it yourself? DNS4Me is simple, affordable, and reliable. Simply sign-up for DNS4Me service (you can even use a domain name you've already purchased), download the DNS4Me client, and you're ready to go! You can read more about DNS4Me's features and what it does for you.

2) Using Proxy to create static IP address from which my PC can serve from (least appealing- also had stability probs when testing one such prog)

3) email forwarding- am unclear on and don't think this is allowed w/ parked pages @ my hosting co (G-Daddy). My understanding is that email fwding in essence creates a virtual address so that sender only sees "[email protected]" but actual address is host subdomain address??

4) Putting up pages w/ my ISP webspace by:
a) transferring name server to or
b) ?somehow linking parked page to and setting up email server?? (gettin little crazy w/ that one).

If this was a one shot deal, would probably go easy (and more expensive) route.
However, foresee(sp?) same need again, have done alot of leg work , and would like to set procedure in place now.
Greatly appreciate anyone sharing experience in any of above procedures and/or an overview of the big picture.
Additionally am considering building towards own webserver, so what I can do now that can be upgraded in future is also a consideration (how important at this juncture, .:confused IDNK.
As always-TXIA 4 any input:

•••
Hi there Michael, I think Godaddy.com has a free email forwarding messages for all your domain names?

•••
yes godaddy does

Good post CH

•••
Eureka! Talk about not seeing the trees through the forest! Well, as OS tweakers say after a crash, "It was a good learning experience." :hehe:
For one reason or another, have always found it difficult to navigate around the GoDaddy site--a mental blocked site for me? Had same prob w/ Microsoft/MSN/Windows/IE/Word/etc site(s) at one time.
After finding the magic email forwarding link, spent some time just on mechanics of site. TX 4 the handholding.:tri:

•••
GD did NOT require this of me..
Yet they did require that the "who is" data be completely up todate, and reflect myself as admin/owner and only that a "working" email was listed..
but they DID NOT require an email that was "attached" to that specific domain..
ie: name they listed of mine: Billed.us
No i do not have a [email protected] set up, and it was not required.

You may check with them for clairification...
Keep us posted.

•••
Glad you have fixed the problem Michael! Congrat!

•••
This is a paste from GrDom site. Maybe I interpreted this wrong?

.You must have access to the administrative e-mail address for this domain name.

Seems I just keep adding on to this episode of...
"Spinning Wheels, Mtns from Mole-Hills and Other Fun Internet Learning Excercises and Enterprises I Have Known ".:]

•••
:lol:

I didn't think that you had to have the EXACT (matching) same E-mail address as the domain name itself ... just access to THE Admin. (WhoIs) E-mail address for the domain name. This has been in effect there for a long, long time, as I'm remembering it.
No worries.

•••
total confusion, can see neither trees nor the forests...even fom ze helicopter:lol:

•••
Originally posted by redhippo
total confusion, can see neither trees nor the forests...even fom ze helicopter:lol:

What part has totally confused you, Hippo? :o

•••
Think Hippo was getting off on the metaphor. Here's a more humorous one, Hippo: Cant seperate the chocolate pudding from the____ ! (you fill in the blank).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back