Dynadot

Debating Domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
In the world of Domain investing we are a diverse group. We are global and come from many different backgrounds. This diversity is a strength that we should all embrace.

Due to this diversity we owe it to ourselves to recognize that we all have similar goals. In domaining those goals are similar, but how we get there is NOT similar. We all have different paths. Some like .com only. Some NewGTLDs only. Some take the middle ground with extensions.

Debating is often part of the diversity that we share. Debating can grow the industry. Debating is productive when used with good intent.

Often times we disagree with others. Disagreement is natural to humans. Its part of our individuality. We should embrace those differences, even though we may disagree.

I have taken a few quotes out the Harvard Business Review:

"Remember we’re all on the same team. Just about all debates fall into one of three categories: The kind where the goal is to persuade people you’re right; the kind where the goal is to look better than your opponent; and the kind where the goal is to find better solutions together. The third is the one that helps us get the most out of a group’s cognitive diversity. To steer people in that direction, set the stage by kicking off the discussion with a shared goal, a spirit of inquiry, and emphasis that everyone is on the same team.

Keep it about facts, logic, and the topic at hand. One of the most difficult — and crucial — elements of a productive debate is keeping it on one track. Arguments tend to fracture, especially when people feel like their ideas or identities are coming under attack. Unfortunately, when people feel strongly about their opinions, they tend to, often subconsciously, resort to logical fallacies, question dodging, bad facts, and outright deception. Or they bring in outside issues to bolster their points and distract people from counterarguments. It’s important for leaders (and participants) to be vigilant, so none of these bad behaviors sneak into debates.

Don’t make it personal. Arguments tend to fracture when people feel like their ideas or identities are coming under attack. Emotion and ego begin to play a much bigger role and everyone becomes less likely to appreciate others’ points of view, which greatly reduces the potential for innovation or problem-solving. To ensure that debates don’t get sidetracked in this way, we need to explicitly depersonalize our arguments. In other words:
  • No name calling or personal attacks.

Be intellectually humble. For a debate to truly be productive, participants need to be willing to respect every viewpoint and change their minds when necessary. This is what psychologists call intellectual humility, and it’s one of the most important skills a good leader — and productive debater can develop."

If you would like to learn more visit:

https://hbr.org/amp/2019/01/how-to-debate-ideas-productively-at-work

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like this spirit, thank you for sharing this informative content.

Some folks are biased on their ideas even if they are debatable to not say false ... there is many point of view and opinions and many searchs invovled for certain case that they prefer to not listen and harden their head in any circonstances even if solid arguments comes out to contradict them, they prefer to follow on their belives and close eyes on what really happening and on the changes that already settled.

I'm not targeting anyone, it's not my habit ... it's just that I notice things like that happen sometimes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back