IT.COM

Deadbeat Buyers: Naming Names and Details

NameSilo
Watch

Should Domainers Publish the Names and Details of Deadbeat Buyers?

• 1st

It depends on the circumstances

votes
    61.5%
  • 2nd

Yes

votes
    34.6%
  • 3rd

No

vote
    3.8%
  • 4th

Not Sure

votes
    0.0%

• 26 votes
  • Ended 11 years ago
  • Final results
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We mostly buy antique and collectibles on Ebay and have had two or three sellers (out of 1,000's) fail to communicate for a week or ten days due to death, illness, etc.

•••
I've seen the view from both sides of the fence, and neither were pretty. About two weeks ago a guy backed out of a $2500 deal simply because he changed his mind. That hurt. A few years ago, I couldn't complete a sale because I was in a coma for two weeks. I got all of the normal bad feedback and such. The worst feeling was when the buyer called me a liar when I explained the delay. He just kept writing and posting insults even after I offered not to charge anything for the sale.

•••
You know what other people are annoying, those "WTB" people that are really just a bunch of phonies. I'll send a domain that meets someone's exact criteria and will ask for a fair reseller price, then get no response. I feel like some people often post there just for the purpose of "posting". They don't have any real intention of completing a transaction that isn't a complete ripoff for the seller.

•••
This happens reverse too. Domainer lists buy it now price on sedo, you start transaction, and the domain owner refuses to sell. I am talking about cases where they still own the name. If sedo posted a list of those domainers , it will outdo any list of deadbeat buyers.

The problem is most domain owners rarely get requests to buy their domains, when it finally happens they become scared and worried that if they say the wrong thing the buyer will vanish.

REMEMBER they want your domain at least the moment they contacted you, reply to their email, include your phone number, pay info etc. demand a deposit or complete payment right away or cease communications, SERIOUSLY stop communicating, the more you talk, the sweeter you are the bigger chances they feel the name is no big deal and there is no one else interested and you lose.

Ebay years ago implemented a system whereas if you agree to buy you must pay on the spot or the listing doesnt get removed.

Domain buying is sometimes an emotional thing for the buyer, something in your domain name triggered the right emotions and feelings in their brain. Emotions come and go, make sure you get your money quick, and stop being scared of demanding payment right now as in this very minute. You are selling a domain here, not a home or car with 84k miles.

PS if you are too scared to be so direct in your emails, try the following:

Once you get an email create right away an ebay auction with the asking price and make the setting buy not - buyer must pay right away

Reply to the buyer and tell them you just happen to have listed it on ebay this way everyone is protected, send them a link and explain its a buy now so no need for bidding etc.

If they take no action they where not serious in the first place, you where dealing with a buyer who simply had a brain fart and is making your entire day stink because of it.

•••
You know what other people are annoying, those "WTB" people that are really just a bunch of phonies. I'll send a domain that meets someone's exact criteria and will ask for a fair reseller price, then get no response. I feel like some people often post there just for the purpose of "posting". They don't have any real intention of completing a transaction that isn't a complete ripoff for the seller.
Painfully true. I for one am sick of it. Phonies is a great name for them, or posers.

•••
The majority of negotiations in real estate transactions are now through emails.

And, in the case of Naldi vs. Grunberg, a five-judge New York state appellate court ruled that emails are legally binding.

Excellent point, I forget about this so often.

•••
PS if you are too scared to be so direct in your emails, try the following:

Once you get an email create right away an ebay auction with the asking price and make the setting buy not - buyer must pay right away

Reply to the buyer and tell them you just happen to have listed it on ebay this way everyone is protected, send them a link and explain its a buy now so no need for bidding etc.

Sorry that is really bad advice. You get virtually no protection when you sell via ebay - it is set up to side with the buyer almost every time. The internet is filled with stories of sellers getting screwed over when ebay sides with the buyers over sellers.

And on top of that you get to pay ebay + paypal fees. So you sell a $1000 domain via ebay and paypal and you give away $130 for their fees in the name of protection that doesn't really exist for the seller - certainly not the way it does for the buyer.

•••
•••
There are alway circumstances that could interfere with someone purchasing a domain.

I think there needs to be wrongful intent for it to be published. If someone was going to buy a domain from me for $1,000 and all of a sudden they had to take a child to the hospital, I would not consider this person a deadbeat buyer.

Now if someone is a repeat offender, just decides not to pay, lies, etc.... then yes...publish away.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back