Dynadot

news Dan.com founder no longer CEO

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Reza Sardeha, founder of Dan.com, is no longer its CEO; assumes new position at GoDaddy.

Confirmed directly, more here.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Undeveloped is finally developed and sold.
Done!

Last edited:
•••
sad for DAN, stand with godaddy

•••
Wish them all lots of success. (y) (y) (y) (y)

•••
•••
Best of luck to him, hope its an even better adventure. :)

•••
Only 71.4 mil acq price
Sold undervalue
Was thinking at least 100 mil
Anyway this it is
Hope now Epik , Dynadot , Namecheap will grow as marketplaces or maybe a new one

•••
Good luck Reza in the new position and Congrats on the sale!

•••
Only 71.4 mil acq price
Sold undervalue
Anyway this it is
Hope now Epik , Dynadot , Namecheap will grow as marketplaces or maybe a new one

This is naive thinking. $74MM is generous and GD had to put probably lots of strategic and other considerations to justify.

I won't be surprised if DAN is still making loss or in loss to $1-2MM profit territory.

DAN only nets around 6% after credit card fees. Minus office, staff, servers, development etc., probably not much is left.

When you compare 9% to 20%, it seems like they are making "only" around twice as little as Afternic, e.g. per sale. In reallity, though it is 6% vs 17% and that is 1/3 of the revenue post transaction fees.

Also, consider that Afternic makes lots of partner sales just for aggregating and serving and gets around 10% (minus 3% transaction) for those. While, Dan pretty much makes sales only if someone points NS to them. So, Afternic has around 20 million names from which it makes 10% to 20% (7% to 17% after) on a sale, while Dan really has only just 2-4 mln domains pointed to them (estimate) from which they make 9% (6% after) in case of a sale.

Last edited:
•••
This is naive thinking. $74MM is generous and GD had to put probably lots of strategic and other considerations to justify.

I won't be surprised if DAN is still making loss or in loss to $1-2MM profit territory.

DAN only nets around 6% after credit card fees. Minus office, staff, servers, development etc., probably not much is left.

When you compare 9% to 20%, it seems like they are making "only" around twice as little as Afternic, e.g. per sale. In reallity, though it is 6% vs 17% and that is 1/3 of the revenue post transaction fees.

Also, consider that Afternic makes lots of partner sales just for aggregating and serving and gets around 10% (minus 3% transaction) for those. While, Dan pretty much makes sales only if someone points NS to them. So, Afternic has around 20 million names from which it makes 10% to 20% (7% to 17% after) on a sale, while Dan really has only just 2-4 mln domains pointed to them (estimate) from which they make 9% (6% after) in case of a sale.

They might make more sales if they removed the Trustpilot banner at the top right hand corner (as others have frequently mentioned). As it happens, some are starting to use Afternic Landers (or in other cases, Efty/Escrow) Instead of Dan (including Swetha).

•••
They might make more sales if they removed the Trustpilot banner at the top right hand corner (as others have frequently mentioned).

Curious why removing this might help?

•••
The negative reviews on there seem to be drawing people's attention and this potentially affects buying decisions.

•••

They were indeed VERY generous.
DAN's current business model wasn't very profitable.
But they had a considerable portion of aftermarket sales.
And all their constant innovation was very dangerous if you ask me.
GoDaddy paid the price to secure aftermarket sales.
DAN and Uniregistry were the biggest issues.
Now its over.

GoDaddy owns (thoroughly) the domain name aftermarket.

•••
It says 4.7 of 5.0 for a lot of people anything below a 5.0 is not good. Now that they have GoDaddy as part of their page, the trust pilot can only hurt and it probably killed a ton of potential sales, people don't even go further. Even worse, some reviews are really bad and as far as I saw, all from complete idiots.

If Dan wants more sales they need to remove it, replace it with godaddys / afternics number, and immediately they will see a huge spike in sales.

I think that with afternics number comes higher commissions so they should let domainers decide if there should be the number or not. If the sale is by phone the commission must be higher, they are not your typical domainers that likes losing money.

•••
It says 4.7 of 5.0 for a lot of people anything below a 5.0 is not good. Now that they have GoDaddy as part of their page, the trust pilot can only hurt and it probably killed a ton of potential sales, people don't even go further. Even worse, some reviews are really bad and as far as I saw, all from complete idiots.

If Dan wants more sales they need to remove it, replace it with godaddys / afternics number, and immediately they will see a huge spike in sales.

I think that with afternics number comes higher commissions so they should let domainers decide if there should be the number or not. If the sale is by phone the commission must be higher, they are not your typical domainers that likes losing money.
Yep, while there are many things to like about Dan the lack of a telephone number must've been a hindrance to more sales as some companies just like to speak with someone first.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Update: Reza is now working on his next entrepreneurial project and it's not about domains.
Not surprising as he's a consultant to GoDaddy and would prob have signed a non-compete clause as part of the deal.

Time for Epik/Namecheap/Dynadot to step up.

•••
Tata Motors buys Ford's India plant for $91.1 million. It's a bit like a deal like a car manufacturing plant. Amazing!

•••
•••
Only 71.4 mil acq price
Sold undervalue
Anyway this it is

I actally said and thought 100mil. close enuf. still gets CEO nice yacht hahaha

•••
anyway nobody will be using dan if they increase fees

•••
I am happy for Reza Sardeha because he is young and has already proven his ability and success.
But at the same time I will cancel dan's DNS parked because I don't believe dan will stay as a 'Transaction Processor' with the help of GoDaddy. So, I will leave there and continue to define it as 'Transfer Processor'.

•••
Back