Dynadot

analysis Current Domain Market Commissions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Domain marketplaces are competing for our business! I put this list together just to wrap my brain around the various commissions from which we can choose. These are all the big players I can think of at the moment. Please feel free to suggest additions and/or changes. There's some nuances I didn't include (e.g., transaction fees) but this is just a brief sort from highest to lowest commissions.

20% Afternic.com/GoDaddy.com
15-35% SquadHelp.com
15-30% BrandBucket.com
15% Sedo.com
9% Epik.com
9% DAN.com
7.5% NameSilo.com (3% if wire transfer)
5% Efty.com with DAN integration
5% DynaDot.com
4% Sav.com
0-15% Uniregistry.com
0% Efty.com (fee to use)​

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To add
Squadhelp whitelabe marketplae is currently 7.5%
Dan imported lead 5%

•••
•••
•••
I prefer sedo.com, looks the most professional marketplace. It's worth 15% imo. I don't know yet how much they're comission and escrow fee is for not (not) parked domains with them if you find a buyer yourself. PS: my domains are parked by them and for sale and with make offer posibility. Good luck!

•••
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. Made some changes and, due to editing time limits on the original post, have provided an updated list below.

20% Afternic.com/GoDaddy.com
15-35% SquadHelp.com
15-30% BrandBucket.com
15% Sedo.com
9% Epik.com
9% DAN.com
8% Daaz.com
7.5% NameSilo.com (3% if wire transfer)
7.5% SquadHelp.com White Label Marketplace
5% Efty.com with DAN integration
5% DynaDot.com
5% Dan.com imported lead
4% Sav.com
0-15% Uniregistry.com
0% Efty.com (fee to use)
0% DNHat.com (fee to use)

•••
Good info but look at how much more exposure your getting for the 20%

•••
•••
Exposure is also very important that's true

Last edited:
•••
Brandpa 25%

Last edited:
•••
Hi

0% Escrow.com > when buyer pays fee
0% namepros.com
0% Paypal via F&F
0% voodoo.com
0% bodis.com
0% parkingcrew
0% some other dnforums

imo...

•••
Some thoughts:

- Unlike most marketplaces, Epik.com will show you the full contacts of your inquiries. You can negoitate directly if you like. That is like Efty which is "free". Nice try though.

- Epik will actually help you close deals -- not just automated but also live engagement. I actually spend a good portion of my day closing deals for customers often for prices far above what they could get alone.

- Epik integrates fully automated leasing and financing so that domains that cannot be sold can be securely leased or financed on a single vendor basis that protects lessor and lessee.

- We provide amazing tools for free. The most famous of which is the SSL landers but also vast tools for smart analytics, e.g. WHOIS lookup data, etc that you don't find elsewhere. See tutorial on landers:

- You can use your proceeds to fund domain expenses, or cash out, including to crypto which is increasingly popular. Funds are immediately available at sale. Cash-out is fast for verified users.

- Proceeds from sales on Epik marketplace fund awesome Digital Empowerment projects as well as a growing number of domain loans. See catalog here: https://www.epik.com/about/labs/

- Epik is co-creating with customers. @dande showed that last week here. Bring the feedback. Bring the ideas. We'll listen, respond, and improve -- often in days, not years.

Overall, the value proposition of Epik at 9% is pretty much lights-out superior. I am actually dumbfounded that anyone uses anything besides Epik for landers at this point.

I could go on, and absolutely am keen to study what others are doing, believing very much that the win is not about who can charge the least, but who can empower the greatest.

And now for the red pill:

The race to the bottom is scarcity mindset. It is a death-trap designed to empower winner take all. The idea of a million thriving domainers is terrifying to the people who want most people broke.

Godaddy might like domainers to be broke so they will drop names into their expiry stream. Sound crazy? Do this test on Afternic. Search the term "Doctor".

You will see one page of crap names and likely none of yours:

upload_2020-9-12_16-13-8.png

Now scroll to the bottom. Guess what? No pagination. One page of crap names none of which are yours. Wondering why you don't sell many Afternic names lately? Now you know.

upload_2020-9-12_16-13-28.png

That might just be incompetence. Or not. Let's hope they fix it soon and that management resists all temptations to undermine their customers.

The Godaddy apologists may respond to the above. Use discernment, and focus on the facts, that you can verify with your own eyes. The rhetoric and ad hominem is a distraction.

My advice:

Keep making the pie bigger, looking out for each other and learning from each other.

Keep shooting the moon, backing into leases or financing for those who can't pay bigly.

Keep improving platforms run by companies that are looking out for you.

Thanks for your support. God bless you all.

•••
I can say my experience with EPIK has always been first rate and the same for DAN. Even when the buyer throws a curveball.

My last two experiences with Afternic well the one is still ongoing for close to two weeks and I still don't think anyone knows what's going on with this transaction.

•••
Really helpful thread - thanks for starting it, @spikedo !

NameCheap Marketplace is 10%

I don't personally (yet?) use Uniregistry. Under what conditions is it 0% and when 15% (seems like huge spread).

Can someone who uses them add the other brandable marketplaces beside SH and BB please.

Thanks again, everyone.

Bob

•••
I think its a bit pompous for a CEO to say he routinely gets better prices than people could get on their own. How do you know? Is everyone incapable but you? Also since its being brought up you might give us the info but you guys also read our emails without permission.

This thread was discussing commision rates not promoting one or the other.

•••
And now for the red pill:

The race to the bottom is scarcity mindset. It is a death-trap designed to empower winner take all. The idea of a million thriving domainers is terrifying to the people who want most people broke.

Godaddy might like domainers to be broke so they will drop names into their expiry stream. Sound crazy? Do this test on Afternic. Search the term "Doctor".

You will see one page of crap names and likely none of yours:

Show attachment 167102

Now scroll to the bottom. Guess what? No pagination. One page of crap names none of which are yours. Wondering why you don't sell many Afternic names lately? Now you know.

Show attachment 167103

That might just be incompetence. Or not. Let's hope they fix it soon and that management resists all temptations to undermine their customers.

The Godaddy apologists may respond to the above. Use discernment, and focus on the facts, that you can verify with your own eyes. The rhetoric and ad hominem is a distraction.

Meanwhile, despite all the shit Rob likes to talk about GoDaddy and Afternic, Epik is still a partner.

Surely, Rob should take a principled stance against a company as bad as GoDaddy right?

Not only that, but Epik is one of only a small group of registrars that adds an additional markup to Afternic listings. They add a 15% commission on each Afternic listing last time I checked.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
epik escrow 1.5%-6.5%

I am not sure I would consider escrow services as a "marketplace".
That is just a payment processor.

If that is the case Escrow.com and others should be on the list.

Brad

•••
I am not sure I would consider escrow services as a "marketplace".
That is just a payment processor.

If that is the case Escrow.com and others should be on the list.

Brad

Escrow.com is hell, Brad.
Epik Escrow also waive min $70 fee for NPers.
Better payment processor than incumbent..
Best all-around registrar, Period 😘

Last edited:
•••
Escrow.com is hell, Brad.
Epik Escrow also waive min $70 fee for NPers.
Better payment processor than incumbent..
Best all-around registrar, Period 😘

Well, that is your opinion but it is completely irrelevant to my point.
An escrow service is not a "marketplace".

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot is only 5% if you want your fund to sit in their coffer and be used only at Dynadot. If you want to withdraw, that will be another 5%, bringing the total to 10%.

Godaddy is as disgusting as it gets. The only registrar that charges 20% commission on domain sales, despite how big they are. They have all manner of shady pricing regimes highly unbecoming for a platform on their size.

Epik commission is 10% for external domains and 9% for native sales. @Rob Monster If Epik can find a way to let us upload mobile responsive logos to the lander, that would be the ultimate game changer.

To me, Epik is currently the leader - by far.

•••
Godaddy is as disgusting as it gets. The only registrar that charges 20% commission on domain sales, despite how big they are. They have all manner of shady pricing regimes highly unbecoming for a platform on their size.

Disgusting, yet Epik is still partners with them. Not only that, but Epik tacks on 15% to the price on Afternic. Does money trump morals?

GoDaddy is the only company with the market share that can justify a commission like that.

All these other companies combined have a small fraction of the customer base that GoDaddy has.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
GoDaddy is the only company with the market share that can justify a commission like that.
On the contrary, being so big shoulda been the reason to charge far less commission than anyone else. Instead, they keep ripping off sellers with bogus commission.

•••
Let's stop the discussion of Epik here. It is way off topic. The bottom line is that there is quite a range of commissions and it is difficult to keep up with it all. I will try to update the list once more wafter conducting another round of informal research based on comments.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back