Dynadot

discuss Crypto Legal Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

The Domains Domain

Established Member
Impact
The crypto/web3 world is facing a ton of regulatory pressure and the lawyers are likely to be the only ones winning in crypto for a while. The SEC all but confirmed they're coming for DeFi next!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What I know is that bitcoins are not trademark name, so at least no worries there.

•••
seems like, cryptolegalaid.com is a good fit here.

•••
What I know is that bitcoins are not trademark name, so at least no worries there.
hmm not so sure, take a look at USPTO Tess Search, quite a few with "bitcoin"

•••
I agree, Crypto and DeFi are definitely going to become heavily regulated over the next few years. LegalCrypto and CryptoLegal seem to be taken in most extensions, but I see LegalCryptoCoins.com is available... think I should register it?

Edit: Someone beat me to it lol

Last edited:
•••
I agree, Crypto and DeFi are definitely going to become heavily regulated over the next few years. LegalCrypto and CryptoLegal seem to be taken in most extensions, but I see LegalCryptoCoins.com is available... think I should register it?
Kinda too long
Had a look
LegalCryptos (.) com is available if you like it 👍🏼

•••
The crypto/web3 world

Are people really still on about that stuff?

I thought it was fun to watch when everyone suddenly became an "art collector", but hasn't that gotten worn out by now?

Back in the late 1990's there was an alt root community that made all the same noises and had all of the same arguments, right down to the stupid trademark claims. The web3 hoo-hah was like a nostalgic trip down memory lane, but, seriously folks, if there is one thing to grasp about technological change it is that genuinely useful advances or improvements tend to thrive on their own without a whole lot of carnival barking.

I guess that's why people get crankier as they get older. After a while, you see this shit come and go, and it rhymes pretty much every time. A bunch of sketchy folks have a new thing that's going to solve all the problems you didn't know you had.

•••
Hello @jberryhill

Never had the pleasure to talk with you , but I must disagree.

Crypto ( games , banking , finance ) and web3 ( games , real estate , agriculture , education…) are going to be everywhere in the future.
Maybe you mean Crypto as has been for a decade now , just a money gambling game.
But believe me , there are a bunch of really usefull things where crypto and web3 can be used to improve the world we live ( for better or worse , I don’t know).

Last edited:
•••
The trend is down for crypto and NFT temporarily, but that does not mean the whole thing is down. I respectfully disagree, so I was reading that due to AI boom, the whole trend switched, even the venture pools. That's the next big thing coming after @net, so yeah, the investors are more towards AI rather than anything else for now.

•••
One of the cool things about the future is that it happens on its own without any help.

Back in the 1980's, for example, when cell phones were first widely available as big clunky things that one could plug into their car, there wasn't anybody running around trying to get anyone else to "agree" that, very soon, people would start abandoning landlines and they would become the primary method of communicating.

Likewise, when Xerox PARC demonstrated tech like a first go at hypertext and IP protocol was first developed, among other things, there wasn't anyone running around arguing, "No, you don't understand, the internet is going to change the way we interact socially, engage in commerce, etc.." and getting upset if other people didn't agree with them.

But cell phones supplanted landlines, and the internet changed the way we do a lot of things. These things happen because they were found to have compelling advantages and new applications that somehow did not require a cadre of folks trying to "win an argument" about them. People built stuff and others came.

Water doesn't need people to push it downhill. It does that on its own.

•••
•••
Are people really still on about that stuff after the dotcom bubble?

I know, right? Just wait until you find out what goes on at a place called Namepros.com.

•••
Such a lively discussion, great to see a range of perspectives! It's our view that crypto litigation is here to stay (to the moon, as the kids say). Have number of keyword names for DeFi, Web3, Lawsuit, Tether and Geo Crypto Lawyer dot coms. Happy to share Dan.com store link if interested!

•••
The irony of selling dotcom names on a dotcom site for prospective web3 uses is entertaining.

Fun fact about the legal profession generally - There are a lot of rules in various states about how lawyers may, or may not, identify themselves in advertising. If you think of major law firms, none of them go by names like “DUILawyer.com” or “DivorceLawyer.com” - both of which have gone unsold for years. That’s because lawyers’ reputations are generally built on their own names, and occasionally a distinctive name for their practice. Sure, there are some generic/descriptive leadgen/referral sites, but no serious litigator is going to want something like “cryptolawsuits.com” etc.. If I were looking to drop a couple hundred K on tech litigation in general, I’d get in touch with Morrison and Foerster, Wilson Sonsini, or some other established firm with an actual track record and reputation in tech litigation.

What’s doubly annoying is that I get several emails a week from some clown who thinks I want DomainTrademarkLawyer.com or some other nonsense like that. First off, I don’t advertise, but most of my business is from word of mouth and referrals by satisfied clients. People get in touch with me because they know what I do, and they’ve heard that I’m good at it. Most lawyers’ businesses operate that way.

The ones that have to use gimmicks or buy leads are the ones that nobody recommends.

Names like that are also limiting. There’s a range of things that any lawyer or firm does. So, why would I want to use, say, UDRPlawyer.com when that’s just one thing I do?

In any event, I wish you the best of luck, but looking to sell .com names in a market where, as indicated by the comments above, the participants expressly eschew .com names seems like trying to sell rosary beads to Hajjis at the Mecca airport.

Verisign thanks you for your support.

•••
Totes. All great points! We look at the 40% percent of American men 18-29 who've ever touched crypto. Will they know about these firms? How they gonna find help? Just a hunch they're gonna search and the SEO exact match names help. We'll see how it goes!

•••
We look at the 40% percent of American men 18-29 who've ever touched crypto. Will they know about these firms? How they gonna find help?

Help with what? The crypto legal issue they found themselves in by, uh (checks notes) never touching crypto?

I spend a lot of time explaining domain legal issues and one thing I’ve learned from Namepros is that no matter where I start, maybe I should have started at a more basic point.

So, just in case I never mentioned this, I can say, as one of the relatively well known lawyers in the field of domain names, that one of the absolute best ways to avoid any domain name legal problem is to avoid getting involved with domain names.

I haven’t done as much with crypto, but I’d be willing to guess the same principle might apply.

•••
Totes. All great points! We look at the 40% percent of American men 18-29 who've ever touched crypto. Will they know about these firms? How they gonna find help? Just a hunch they're gonna search and the SEO exact match names help. We'll see how it goes!

What's their search intent? Are they looking for general advice, preferably from a lawyer (=they want content) or are they going to hire a lawyer?

Where do they search? My bet is on Youtube, X-Twitter, Reddit and other platforms.

Google search as we know it is dying/transforming, because of Google ad spamming the result pages (SERPs) and moreover moving to SGE, "Search Generative Experience" (AI answers). Organic traffic from Google search and SEO might not be dead yet, but it's a dead end, at least to small players.

Last edited:
•••
I thought it was fun to watch when everyone suddenly became an "art collector", but hasn't that gotten worn out by now?

That NFT rush was just a teaser to promote the digital art ownership idea globally.

The real deal will start when the XR devices and metaverses became a part of the daily life.

•••
Kinda too long
Had a look
LegalCryptos (.) com is available if you like it 👍🏼
I registered CrypInsure.com right after the FTX Fiasco, what do you think?

•••
What's the ideal use case @DDdomains89--insurance for crypto? Trust accounts?

Last edited:
•••
That NFT rush was just a teaser to promote the digital art ownership idea globally.

The real deal will start when the XR devices and metaverses became a part of the daily life.
That's wild to consider 🤯

•••
Help with what? The crypto legal issue they found themselves in by, uh (checks notes) never touching crypto?

I spend a lot of time explaining domain legal issues and one thing I’ve learned from Namepros is that no matter where I start, maybe I should have started at a more basic point.

So, just in case I never mentioned this, I can say, as one of the relatively well known lawyers in the field of domain names, that one of the absolute best ways to avoid any domain name legal problem is to avoid getting involved with domain names.

I haven’t done as much with crypto, but I’d be willing to guess the same principle might apply.
So it looks to us like a ton of people put money into, at best, speculative unregulated financial instruments. For this reason, it seems not-unthinkable that crypto becomes a new personal finance and business practice area for lawyers. It's just one interpretation of an industry with multiple complex dynamics at play.

•••
Research is always best before jumping into anything. Which is why I reg'd CryptoDeepDives .com :xf.cool:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back