Dynadot

Creating a domain portfolio grid script

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So I am working on a domain portfolio grid script - primarily out of a need for one myself. Once it is further enough along, I will most likely be releasing it as open source.

The general gist of it is that it will be a jquery-based grid script that loads domains and their templates (for how to display them) via json. The templates are simple jsrender templates so that it is very extensible with the json domain objects - i.e., you can add any number of fields to the domain object and have them appear on the template. The goal is to be very flexible and extensible. Of course, a lot of that depends on your knowledge of css and basic html.

Here is a simple example I have set up with some of my domains:
http://domains.codeforge.net/brandables/

And here is the JSON file:
http://domains.codeforge.net/data/domains.json

The code already supports images, but this example doesn't use any. I am just using Google fonts in the CSS to produce the fancy fonts. I still need to add in a lot more advanced abilities like a sorting/inquiry form/buy now link, but those are really dependent on the outer application (not just the grid script).

I may also expand this project to include a basic asp.net or php site with an admin for those who are less technically inclined - but some CSS/HTML knowledge will probably still be the best.

I was hoping to get some feedback on how it is looking so far and your thoughts on my plans. Also, if there are features that people would like to see, I would love to hear about them!

Thanks so much!
Stephen

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
So far it looks really nice as it’s very clean and responsive.

The only recommendation I have is it might have been a better idea to make it as a theme on wordpress or as a plugin so lots of people could use it. If you could create it in such a way that it would work with wordpress I think you would probably be able to make a lot of money off it seeing as how there are a lot of people that have websites selling domains but most people’s websites don’t look very snappy.

•••
So far it looks really nice as it’s very clean and responsive.

The only recommendation I have is it might have been a better idea to make it as a theme on wordpress or as a plugin so lots of people could use it. If you could create it in such a way that it would work with wordpress I think you would probably be able to make a lot of money off it seeing as how there are a lot of people that have websites selling domains but most people’s websites don’t look very snappy.

I was thinking about turning it into a WP plugin, but wasn't sure. I think that I might just do that! Thanks :)

•••
Has this project got any further along? Unfortunately from what you've posted so far, it is too early to have any comments other than it looks nice.

•••
Looks nice, and even better if as a wordpress plugin!
Get that done?
And it works great?
SELL IT TO DOMAINERS!
hahahahhahaa

•••
Has this project got any further along? Unfortunately from what you've posted so far, it is too early to have any comments other than it looks nice.

I have done some more work, but still nothing radical to show. I haven't done WP plugins before so I am researching that. I am sure it won't be any issue considering I have customized enterprise level CMS packages in the past for my job (software engineer with most focus on internet application development). I'll update once I have something more to show!

Looks nice, and even better if as a wordpress plugin!
Get that done?
And it works great?
SELL IT TO DOMAINERS!
hahahahhahaa
Thanks! I hope to get it working as a WP plugin for those that want it that way. I agree, I think this would be great for domainers - I started it because I couldn't find anything that could do what I wanted. :)

Thanks so much!!

•••
Just wanted to give an update. It's going a bit slower than I hoped due to some other projects, but I've cleaned it up a bit and have started adding some more advanced features like sorting/filtering (still rough though - no enter key, etc), but I am liking the direction it is taking. Once I clean it up a bit more, the next step will be porting it to wordpress - I already was doing a little with that, but not much more than learning.

Let me know what you think!

http://www.yoodal.com/

Thanks so much,
Stephen

•••
Still a long way to go, me thinks. AFAIC, you'll need categories. Is this responsive? Responsive is a must. For me, the boxes are too big. Should be more the size of BrandBucket boxes. Boxes should be centralized on screen. I'd prefer a PHP/CSS/MySQL version over a Wordpress version.

•••
Thanks @stub ! That is great feedback.

Yes, absolutely still has a lot of ways to go. Like I said, it has been slow going due to needing to devote most of my time into more money-making development atm. I still have to add a lot more filter/sort/category functionality - if you have any specific requests for functionality (as in how it shows/filters categories or whatnot), feel free to share! It is responsive currently and that is definitely something I am going to make sure it is whenever I make changes to it. Thanks for the feedback on the boxes. I was curious about that myself having seen smaller and same size/larger boxes on other sites. I was actually experimenting with the sizes. I like being able to have more domains above the fold so smaller is going to be better I think. That being said, the script lets it be any size - controlled by css. :)

As for being converted to Wordpress, it will still be available in other formats as well. Personally, I have done a lot of PHP in the past, but am a C#.net developer primarily. All in all, I plan to have a JS version (limited), C#.net/SQLServer, PHP/MySQL, and Wordpress. It is going to take some time, but I am enjoying it for a change of pace and learning new technologies (Wordpress) is always fun.

Thanks again!

•••
@stub I updated the boxes to be smaller - would you mind checking it out and giving me an opinion?

http://www.yoodal.com/

Thanks so much!

•••
It's looking much better now. Thanks. I like it. Still needs to be centralized though.

•••
What are you going to do about checkout? I'd like to see Escrow.com, Credit Card, PayPal options, which can all be turned off or on by the site operator.

•••
Looks good svede, maybe add letter count and price sorting to the drop down menu

•••
We do have Buy It Now buttons, which you can easily create within your escrow.com account in bulk or individually to integrate with your website.All Escrow.com clients have access to create buttons under Buy It Now Buttons tab in the upper right hand corner of their account. Once created, we offer easy copy and paste HTML for your website editor. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.

•••
Subscribing to this thread. I will be first in the queue to buy!

•••
From a not 'very techie person' point of view tour site looks good to me Stephen. Personally I like the no nonsense simple design (we mentioned this on another thread). The site does what it says on the label and engages you right away without the irrelevant tittle tattle you find on many websites. A user would know within a minute if a product listed was of interest or not.

Escrow BIN would certainly instill trust in buyers and would be an excellent idea IMO.

Best,
Paul

•••
Very nice effort and good way to go Svede. As for every post I have seen from you in this forum, I can see passion in what ever you do. I do agree with stub to have in centralized to cover maybe 2/3 of the width. If those are all your brandables (nice ones by the way) I think you could launch the page without filters for now since there is not much to search through. And the same with paypal and escrow integration, it will be nice to have it but I think inquiry form would be ok for initial page and you can build up extras later when you have more time.

•••
It's looking much better now. Thanks. I like it. Still needs to be centralized though.

What are you going to do about checkout? I'd like to see Escrow.com, Credit Card, PayPal options, which can all be turned off or on by the site operator.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that I definitely am looking for all of those options, although it might start out more limited with additional features added in. Although I have done credit card & paypal processing from scratch before, I will probably be looking to integrate an already made product for that part (like possibly Woo cart for the WordPress version).

Looks good svede, maybe add letter count and price sorting to the drop down menu

Thanks! Definitely adding those in, just trying to formulate the style I want to show them. I have been comparing a lot of other sites to get the feel for what they do. Feel free to send a list of features you would like to see. I might not start with every option, but I'd definitely try to eventually get there (within reason).

We do have Buy It Now buttons, which you can easily create within your escrow.com account in bulk or individually to integrate with your website.All Escrow.com clients have access to create buttons under Buy It Now Buttons tab in the upper right hand corner of their account. Once created, we offer easy copy and paste HTML for your website editor. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.

Thank you!! I will definitely reach out if needed when I get to this part, but that is good to know!

Subscribing to this thread. I will be first in the queue to buy!

I will let you know!

From a not 'very techie person' point of view tour site looks good to me Stephen. Personally I like the no nonsense simple design (we mentioned this on another thread). The site does what it says on the label and engages you right away without the irrelevant tittle tattle you find on many websites. A user would know within a minute if a product listed was of interest or not.

Escrow BIN would certainly instill trust in buyers and would be an excellent idea IMO.

Best,
Paul

Thanks for the great feedback! I am definitely hoping to keep it simple while still looking attractive and professional enough. And I agree that Escrow BIN is important, although my first version of it (for myself) may not have that feature, it is definitely near the top of the list.

Very nice effort and good way to go Svede. As for every post I have seen from you in this forum, I can see passion in what ever you do. I do agree with stub to have in centralized to cover maybe 2/3 of the width. If those are all your brandables (nice ones by the way) I think you could launch the page without filters for now since there is not much to search through. And the same with paypal and escrow integration, it will be nice to have it but I think inquiry form would be ok for initial page and you can build up extras later when you have more time.

Thanks for the kind words and feedback! I hate doing stuff I am not passionate about. :)
The version of the site (for myself) will probably just have an inquiry form, but I definitely plan to upgrade immediately from there. Also, these aren't all my brandables, but definitely some of my favorites. :)

Thanks all!!

Last edited:
•••
Hi Svede

I took the liberty of having a play around with your CSS. Try adding this to the bottom of your stylesheet and see if you like it.

body
{
background-image: url('http://www.davidboomah.com/image?path=DavidBoomah/gray_jean.png');
}

#LogoDiv
{
padding-left: 10px;
text-align: center;
margin-bottom: 20px;
}

#FilterSortBar
{
width: 100%;
height: 40px;
position: relative;
margin-bottom: 18px;
}

#FilterSortBox
{
right: inherit;
position: relative;
margin: 0 auto;
display: inline-block;
}

.domain-grid
{
}

.domain-grid .domain-grid-item
{
float: none;
box-shadow: 5px 5px 5px rgba(2, 151, 236, 0.2);
display: inline-block;
cursor: default;
}

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back