IT.COM

Copyright infringement?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Ok so when i was new to the game i registered a few xbox domain names.
they are
xboxpcs.com
xboxcpu.com
xboxcomputers.net
etc etc

I own them past 2010 and am banking on microsoft trying to integrate the xbox and computer. What do you guys think? is it generic or a potential copyright problem? I was thinking about developing the sites, but have shyed away from it due to the aforementioned problem. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Technically it depends on what you do with them. Be aware that 'XBOX' is a registered Microsoft TRADEMARK. You will need to find fair-use for the domains if you wish to avoid infringement. Do a wikipedia/google search for "trademark fair-use" and see what you come up with.

•••
Technically it depends on what you do with them. Be aware that 'XBOX' is a registered Microsoft TRADEMARK. You will need to find fair-use for the domains if you wish to avoid infringement. Do a wikipedia/google search for "trademark fair-use" and see what you come up with.

•••
I've found that MS really doesn't care about people using Xbox in their domain names. They have a whole list of sites that have xbox in the name on the official Xbox website.

•••
CriminalOrigins said:
I've found that MS really doesn't care about people using Xbox in their domain names. They have a whole list of sites that have xbox in the name on the official Xbox website.

Aye... Who in their right mind would fight off the free advertising? I'm sure they're loving it more and more with every site that goes up.

•••
Yes, it does happen to be free advertising. I never seen any action to the xbox domain names. The bigger problems normally stem from Microsoft domains. ;)

CG

•••
It IS NOT generic by any nature. Like Labrocca said (twice), use them under fair usage and you should be ok. But right now, you are infinging and showing bad faith. Regardless of what people say to make you happy, you need to protect yourself because I see you being open for problems. Whether MS does anything about it is their decision, but you need to make sure you are protected in case they decide to go after xbox domains.

I agree some companies like the free advertising, but I know many companies don't like people making money off of thier TMs. One should always tread carefully when in hte TM waters.

•••
Yeah what DNQ said is true but my observations is that gaming fan sites are generally accepted within the industry. Almost to the point that it could be a defense in a wipo. Normally I see the game companies go after domains that are parked...however I can't even recall a site in the video game sector that was ever taken simply for the TM domain. Normally they are gone after cuz they have roms or downloads which you really need to stay clear of.

Xbox.net is a good example...big xbox fan site obviously TM infringing. I even asked the owners if they had permission which they don't. I think XBox.org was taken by MS at some point though.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back