IT.COM

Contest Idea!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Want2learn

Top Member
Impact
Big shout out to @BrandCougar for the past two months running a great contest. And a shoutout to me for getting it all started. The last statement was completely and utterly sarcastic! Anyways I was thinking about how these other industries may have games against pros in their respective fields. Could we have a domaining contest like that? What I am thinking is flexible. One idea is to have a hand reg contest against the pros and see if an amateur can beat a Professional's hand reg! Ofcourse the first thing NamePros vets say to newbies . . . Read and don't hand reg. Most of us do not listen . . . ME:( I still think there is some value in what amounts to a contest in the arts and sciences! My other idea is to set a dollar amount . . . TBD . . . and see who can purchase the best domain with the agreed upon amount. For example, some people will say of course Mike Mann can sell a 10k domain because he paid 5k for it . . . or some other nonsense!

I do not want to have a whole lot of rules. And remember anyone else is free to run whatever contest they want!

I would prefer the contest that starts with a predetermined budget. With $X amount of money you can purchase any domain you want. Let's say $50 is the max to spend . . . This is just an example. Amount of money for domain has not been set.
Additionally, we would need to invite the pros, and have at least one pro join the contest with an entry.
Judging the contest . . . a panel of 3 would be the final judge and jury. If @BrandCougar is available to judge, in this contest of mine, I would be honored if he would be one of the judges! I would love to have one of the Pros be a judge. Lastly, I think everyone that has interacted with @Bob Hawkes has the utmost respect for him and value his opinions and thoughts. @Eric Lyon is a pro in my book! Is Mike Mann around? The king? Any other folks that make their living selling domains is welcome to be one of our judges. And I still prefer to have a pro on the panel.

One entry per person, so choose wisely. If you think you can hand reg a name better than going aftermarket, go for it. One entry. You can spend no more than $X on your one domain. It does not matter if it is a premium hand reg. I don't care if it is dot com, us, security, global, net, co . . .

Now here is where I would love feedback . . .

What should the max budget be for the one domain?
Are any Pros interested in being a judge or contestant?
Hawkes and Cougar . . . any interest in judging?
While at this moment I cannot think of anything I would change . . . cooler heads seem to prevail in life, and I want to prove an old dog can learn new tricks! The contest will not start until June 1. I can work out any kinks that need a good ironing out!

If you are wondering why I am limiting the contest to one entry . . . makes the contest most equitable for everyone involved. AND judging contests can be tricky . . . I don't want them to be bombarded with entries.
And if you are wondering why I don't want community involvement with the judging . . . Props to @BrandCougar but no way am I trying to count all those likes . . .

What did I overlook this time?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Want2learn -

If you don't do a pat on your back... I'll do one for you.

You had a terrific idea with the February contest. and deserve kudos for being the catalyst to the wild ride we've had for the past 90 days. It's been a fun ride.

With you being the catalyst, I was an accelerator for March & April - pouring fuel on the concept and exploring a wide range of new angles (a few good / a few tanked) but a lot learned.

While I appreciate your offer to be a judge on your next contest, I will have to pass as I will be working on a new project shortly and will need to disconnect from NamePros for the next couple months - as it's a rather intensive project with an insanely short timeline.

Thanks for looking ahead to new ideas.

Best of luck with your next contest.

-Cougar

Last edited:
•••
I commend you for the original hand reg contest idea, @Want2learn and your detailed ideas here.

Let me first say I like to idea of a contest which rather than being hand reg restricted is some amount spent (now critics who mistrust things may point out difficulties being sure of amount spent). Re what that amount should be, I would not make the max allowed it more than $75 and not less than say $25. Your suggestion of $50 seems good to me.

I like your idea of any domain that can be purchased with that amount. As simple as that.

I totally like the idea of 1 entry per person. I think it is too confusing having 5 or 7 per person.

While I don't bring high value sales experience, I would be happy to serve as a judge if desired depending on the timing (there are a few times in next 40 days I need to be offline or almost offline), although I think there are far better choices. I am still learning an my interests in domaining are skewed outside the norm. No matter, thank you very much for mentioning me as a possibility.

I actually see some value in a slightly larger panel of say 5 to make sure diverse opinions are present. I really like the idea of @Eric Lyon with his huge respect and experience in the community, if he is willing. I have no idea if they would agree, but would be great to have one of the big names in domains such as @Michael Cyger, @Ron Jackson, @Domain Shane, @Doron Vermaat etc. (Andrew Rosener if he is on NPs?) etc. I like the idea of one of the TOP members from NPs who has a consistent record of sales being involved - hopefully one will volunteer. A hugely successful and creative broker/seller who is involved somewhat in NPs who would offer a unique view if she was willing to be a judge would be @Kate Buckley. Another possibility would be someone like @Paul Nicks who knows the industry super well but does not (I believe) personally invest in domain names. Ideally at least one of the judges should be from outside North America.

Bob

•••
•••
IMO........

* Keep the rules simple and short.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back