IT.COM

Concerned about AdSense CPC

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I am fairly new to the world of Adsense (infact I have only been running it on my websites for around 2 months). I'm aware it is against the adsense TOS to discuss exact keywords and CPC/CTR etc. .... Anyway, I have recently been receiving around 6-11p (10-17 cents) per click. I feel this is rather low considering that the keyword's average CPC (I am aware this is how much the advertiser pays, not how much the publisher gets) is around £1.70 ($2.64).

A lot of the traffic to my website is organic traffic, from Google, and is highly targetted. Infact most people who click the ads type in the exact name of the domain (and the keyword I am trying to target) into Google, visit the website and then click the ad. I remember a few weeks ago I was receiving around 20-60p per click (30-95 cents). Does anybody have any idea what has happened and how it can be rectified?

The website in question is a blog, so the content is frequently updated. One theory I have is that the ads are being displayed and targetted to lower paying keywords related to the main keyword (key phrase) I am trying to target. I might try section targetting and see if that helps. The website itself is only a few months old (although it is getting more and more organic traffic all the time), if that would make a difference and I have no placement target ads (they are all contextual).

Any questions or advice would be appreciated, and thanks for your time.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You are lucky to be earning that much per click: many people including myself, only earn around $0.03 per click :(

Tools may show that CPC is high, but actually, one may not earn that much.

•••
I wouldn't let it bother me so much if I wasn't earning 5 times as much just before. It's like some switch was turned on that killed my CPC...

•••
Ok... I think it's just a change in advertisers... I did some research and there is generally agreement that if you are in a product niche (such as, in my case; consumer electronics) the budgets of most of these advertisers and competition is lower just following the Christmas period (so Jan - Feb). I can confirm that I just got a click that was 10 times higher than these ones that had my worried, from a UK visitor. It was also an ad that, without fail, appears first on my website at the moment. This is undoubtedly the highest paying ad from an advertiser with a strong budget at the moment.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back