Dynadot

question Company looking to sell LLL.com URL, gave me responsibility to research

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RichardT

Impact
Greeting!

So as the title states, I have been in charge of managing the sell of my company's LLL.com domain and given no direction. The domain isn't our main URL, but something we have been holding onto for a few years and just use as a redirect for a very old product. The idea of selling the domain came up after we were contacted by a 3rd party request with a $20,000 offer. Being in charge of all of our website related inquiries, it came across my desk and I told my company to hold off and let me look into this further.

I have tried to dig through multiple different resources on good places to start and have found some basic major factors that would effect the domains overall value, but am trying to gather the most reliable info the present back to my company. From what I found our URL has some major factors that would help in boosting that total value.

Positive Factors
  • Its an LLL.com
  • Contains 3 Letters that are all consider Western World Criteria as high value
  • Evaluation Values
    • GoDaddy - $25,000
    • Estibot - $382,000
      • Broad Search Info
        • Monthly searches 368,000
        • Cost Per Click $1.56
      • Exact Searches
        • Monthly Searches 60,000
        • Cost Pre Click $2.28
    • DomainIndex - $110,000
  • Easy Acronym for a company
  • Owned for 25 Years
Negative Factors
  • Not a pronounceable word
  • Previously was used by a niche market 5 years ago(could be a positive?)
I am considering recommending finding an "expert" evaluation of the domain to determine what would be the best route going forward. Looking at using Sedo.com. I already know once we start the actual selling process I should use Escrow.com to complete the sell, but we aren't at that point yet.

Any recommendations or additional tools that I should trust in collecting the required info for my company would be much appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Adding, I apologize. This was prefixed incorrectly and I am out of the time limit to change that.

•••
Upvote 1
Personally I think the best way for someone not in the industry to get the maximum from a "premium" domain is to use a reputable broker. Someone like MediaOptions would probably be interested in doing all the leg work for you (for a cut ofcourse). 20K is probably an ok "trade" price for a LLL but for an enduser sale the skys the limit. Without knowing the exact name (probably best to keep that a secret) it's hard to say.

•••
Upvote 0
until we know the domain I’d say 20k is ok amount for quick sale.

•••
Upvote 0
Import the lead at Dan.com, contact their support and ask mediaoptions to negotiate.

•••
Upvote 0
Personally I think the best way for someone not in the industry to get the maximum from a "premium" domain is to use a reputable broker. Someone like MediaOptions would probably be interested in doing all the leg work for you (for a cut ofcourse). 20K is probably an ok "trade" price for a LLL but for an enduser sale the skys the limit. Without knowing the exact name (probably best to keep that a secret) it's hard to say.
Import the lead at Dan.com, contact their support and ask mediaoptions to negotiate.
Thanks to the both of you for your quick recommendations. I am going to keep the domain private for now while we continue researching. I already had someone try to reach out on here via DM trying to get the domain name info.

Depending on what the cut of the sell would be, I don't think our company would be against hiring out a 3rd party to do the leg work. Especially if it turned around a better premium. Another thing we have going for us is that we have the domain renewed for awhile so we aren't in a rush to have it turned around.

•••
Upvote 0
Hi Richard, welcome to NamePros! And to welcome domaining :) / Wild Wild West/

Do your own research. You should now receive a number of PMs offering various services, or $$$, or commissions, etc., etc. Not all offers you'll receive will be genuine. Since the sale is not urgent - you should probably wait, as you'll receive a better price from an enduser, not from a reseller or domainer (myself including, we all are...). Yes, the best bet would be listing the domain on a reputable platform... with a reputable brokerage. You'd want a broker that represents you / your company, not a broker that will try to sell for $100K (made-up example) offering you just $50K (50% commission)...

Good luck! :)

Edited: Btw, make sure to be able to prove that you are genuine seller... that the domain is not a stolen property

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Hi Richard, welcome to NamePros! And to welcome domaining :) / Wild Wild West/

Do your own research. You should now receive a number of PMs offering various services, or $$$, or commissions, etc., etc. Not all offers you'll receive will be genuine. Since the sale is not urgent - you should probably wait, as you'll receive a better price from an enduser, not from a reseller or domainer (myself including, we all are...). Yes, the best bet would be listing the domain on a reputable platform... with a reputable brokerage. You'd want a broker that represents you / your company, not a broker that will try to sell for $100K (made-up example) offering you just $50K (50% commission)...

Good luck! :)

Edited: Btw, make sure to be able to prove that you are genuine seller... that the domain is not a stolen property
For sure, the market for domains is crazy on evaluations, especially LLL.com ones.

We are a genuine seller and have owned it for 25+ years. Our company has just decided that we really don't want this URL any longer as the product has been discontinued for years now and the need for the redirection are no longer needed.

I am willing to hear additional brokers options if anyone here is interested.

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Use a professional broker to sell the name. $20k for a lll.com is virtually giving it away. The value of lll.com names is going to sky-rocket in the next few years so if you cant get at least xxx,xxxx for it, just hold onto it if there is no rush to sell.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Hi

since you already mentioned sedo, and since your company owns the domain...
then i'd have it parked using ppc pages.
this way you can get traffic/visitor statistics and possibly earn a few $ from any clicks received while patiently weighing your options.

such information can provide more insight to true value, which could be pertinent to a potential buyer.

Good Luck!

imo...

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back