.com is even more king than before?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
NamecheapNamecheap
Watch

jacal1

Established Member
Impact
48
If I am not imagining it, .com prices seem to be breaking away even further from every other TLD. Maybe as more and more exts. are used, the king gets more powerful? Or maybe its like anything precious that is running out? Or possibly its just that as more people worldwide get internet savvy they are "learning" to go to .com first?

All I know is that I can't even an inquiry re any of my .nets these days, and even what I thought were average .coms are getting significant action.
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
sashas said:
I was looking to buy a calling card online from a company that used the .net as the extension of their website.
Very frankly, I did some research on them to see if they were legitimate. Just the fact that they did their business on a .net instead of a .com made me wary of their legitimacy.

My point: If a company does not own the .com of its name, it loses a lot of credibility. It simply tells me that your cash registers show a negative balance, thats why you couldn't buy the .com. And if you can't even muster up the money to buy the .com, why should I do business with you?


Thats a pretty 'odd' statement to make at best.
I would respect phonecards.net over e-phone-online2.com any day...

a company can build its reputation on any extansion.
Yes, .com is King, but your statement is very strong (in the wrong direction) IMHO
 
0
•••
.com is so strong

I've seen others do it as well as myself but .com is so strongly embedded in peoples brains i have more than a couple of times went to post a comment about one of my non .com names but accidentally put .com any way.

For me that says strength, On the other hand I don't think I've ever went to type in .com and accidentally entered .biz or something.
 
0
•••
OK, agreed, Com is King, today and yesterday.

What about 5 - 10 years from now? I am already seeing advertisements for four word .coms - many more this year than last year. The Internet continues to grow rapidly - there is simply no sensable .com place to put every business on the planet.

It seems that there would be movement into cheaper extensions as the public becomes more familiar with them, although I am not seeing much of it. In terms of percentage $ growth from today, do you folks see the better return in .com or in the top GTLDs (org, net, info)?
 
0
•••
it depends all on country, location, purpose, branding and what/which are visitors to page/domain

(but looking from domaining few, yes he is king)
 
0
•••
seeker said:
Thats a pretty 'odd' statement to make at best.
I would respect phonecards.net over e-phone-online2.com any day...

a company can build its reputation on any extansion.
Yes, .com is King, but your statement is very strong (in the wrong direction) IMHO

I was talking about a company not owning the SAME name as its own. Say, a telephone company operating on FreeCalls.net when the .com version of the same name is a parked page.

Don't take it otherwise, but I don't have a lot of respect for the .net TLD. I would take .org or even .info ahead of the .net when developing (for reselling, .net is obviously better than the other two) a website.

Anyways, coming back to the topic.
Frank Schilling mentioned on his blog about Google launching its own extension, a .GOOG.
I really think that it can be done. Just name it .Go instead of .Goog, and then you have a really catchy, relevant extension (.Go has such a great sense of movement to it. Very appropriate for the internet), and as Frank mentioned, Google's muscle power behind it.

The trouble I think is that other than .net, there is no other gTLD that actually challenges .coms position. Why? Because all of them place themselves into niches and are not really general in the real sense like .com.

.org is for organizations (or at least it was, initially)
.info for info
.biz for business
.tv for video
.mobi for mobiles

All these TLDs cannot speak for a general internet term. They can, at best, take some of the .coms market share. That is to say that they can nibble chunks off the .com pie's edge, but never attack the center.

I believe if someone actually got down to attacking the center of the .com pie, if someone with enough financial, technical and creative manpower (as Google) could place itself right opposite .com, then .com could be thrown off its throne.

It just seems to me that no one really has the guts to do that and every TLD is happy to take minor shares off the .com
 
0
•••
sashas said:
...... Because all of them place themselves into niches and are not really general in the real sense like .com.

.org is for organizations (or at least it was, initially)
.info for info
.biz for business
.tv for video
.mobi for mobiles
Yes, precisely !!... but you are missing abit.

.net for network/telco companies.. :)

(Everytime I do a whois, 5 out of 10 queries' nameservers are .NETs)

peace.... :)
 
0
•••
Again, com is king.
 
0
•••
sashas said:
.org is for organizations (or at least it was, initially)
.info for info
.biz for business
.tv for video
.mobi for mobiles

Tuvalu is for Video?
No, .TV is for Tuvalu (which is marketed to some Domainers as TeleVision), but otherwise it is Tuvalu.
all your above examples make sense, except for Tuvalu.
It is a ccTLD, not a GTLD.
 
0
•••
Appraise.net

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back