Dynadot

.co .co registry has hijacked my domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have had a .co domain for about a year and a half now. I woke up one morning to find the domain not resolving. The first thing I did was contact my host, who said they weren't getting the DNS information and sent me to talk to my registrar (GoDaddy). After some research, godaddy says that the nameservers are set up fine on their end (which makes sense since I haven't changed them in a year and a half) and that the .co registry has (likely mistakenly) put a lock on the domain, which is blocking godaddy from sending the nameservers to my host.

As such, godaddy has told me that I have to contact the .co registry as only the owner of the domain can request that the lock be removed. Of course, the .co registry has no interest in responding to a contact attempt from a random webmaster and all my attempts to contact them have been futile?

What are my options here? It's been almost a month. I don't see how this is even legal.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
what's the status say on the whois record?

•••
Which .co registry are you with? If your paying for their services, you have a right to receive them properly and with the correct support when and where needed. I doubt they have hijacked your domain but if something fishy is going on then you should probably contact Icann.

•••
what's the status say on the whois record?

Registrar Info
Name GODADDY.COM, LLC
Whois Server whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL http://registrar.godaddy.com
Status clientDeleteProhibited, clientRenewProhibited, clientTransferProhibited, clientUpdateProhibited

Which .co registry are you with? If your paying for their services, you have a right to receive them properly and with the correct support when and where needed. I doubt they have hijacked your domain but if something fishy is going on then you should probably contact Icann.

I don't really know. All I know is that I registered the domain on GoDaddy and everything was working fine until one day when it stopped. When I contacted godaddy about it they said it was locked by the .co registry and I had to contact them.

I agree that, in paying for the domain, I have the right to receive it properly. The question is, as just one little dude with no pull in the world, how do I actually get that? I'm guessing that ICANN will care about as much about little old me as the .co registry does (IE not at all).

•••
Registrar Info
Name GODADDY.COM, LLC
Whois Server whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL http://registrar.godaddy.com
Status clientDeleteProhibited, clientRenewProhibited, clientTransferProhibited, clientUpdateProhibited

That status looks normal. Are you sure the domain is actually locked by the registry, and you were just not given bad info by GoDaddy?

Brad

•••

There is only one REGISTRY, but many REGISTRARS. Godaddy is a registrar, not a registry.

The .co registry is .CO Internet S.A.S (cointernet.co), a strategic venture formed between Arcelandia S.A. and Neustar, Inc.

BTW I think (I might be wrong) that if you have issues with a .co domain you should contact the .co registry and not ICANN.

•••
The question is, as just one little dude with no pull in the world, how do I actually get that? I'm guessing that ICANN will care about as much about little old me as the .co registry does (IE not at all).

I know of people who contacted ICANN for various reasons and they're all regular people and they were helped. If you have problems with an entity that ICANN has some authority over, then ICANN is the right place to complain. But you have to compile all your information as complete and accurate as possible before you contact ICANN or any other. Start with the registrar you registered with (GoDaddy in your case), then the .co registry, then ICANN. Have you tried getting on the phone with them?

Last edited:
•••
Icann has no authority over ccTLDs.

In general when a thing like that happens it's because an invalid whois report was filed, or for legal reasons so the name is frozen/deactivated pending contact with domain holder.

It could be due to an invalid/bouncing registrant E-mail address, so you may not have received notification from the registry either.

•••
Yep freebagel I've gotta admit I'm wrong on this one! Bad advice on my part apologies. :)

•••
I have had a .co domain for about a year and a half now. I woke up one morning to find the domain not resolving. The first thing I did was contact my host, who said they weren't getting the DNS information and sent me to talk to my registrar (GoDaddy). After some research, godaddy says that the nameservers are set up fine on their end (which makes sense since I haven't changed them in a year and a half) and that the .co registry has (likely mistakenly) put a lock on the domain, which is blocking godaddy from sending the nameservers to my host.

As such, godaddy has told me that I have to contact the .co registry as only the owner of the domain can request that the lock be removed. Of course, the .co registry has no interest in responding to a contact attempt from a random webmaster and all my attempts to contact them have been futile?

What are my options here? It's been almost a month. I don't see how this is even legal.

I'm a developer for .CO. Send me a PM with the domain and I may be able to assist if you're still having problems (or at least diagnose the root cause of the problem). We're not an evil group!

Regards,
Corey

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back