IT.COM

苹果公司.cn 送盒饭.cn 深加工.cn 收视指南.cn

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

fantasoft

Account Suspended
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I only just found out you can actually buy domains with Chinese characters on them...they do cost more than a .com don't they?

•••
dezinerite said:
I only just found out you can actually buy domains with Chinese characters on them...they do cost more than a .com don't they?

In .cn yes, they cost more. But you can get them in .com - if you can find some good ones, that is.

•••
yanni said:
In .cn yes, they cost more. But you can get them in .com - if you can find some good ones, that is.

You can also get them in Japanese in .JP as well as .COM and .NET. Check the registrar on my signature to buy .JP using an English interface.

•••
woah! thats news to me. I thought domain names can only be in english and some language with english alphabets. cool! But hey, how do they expect people to type in these things outside China. I mean, on this page all I see is some boxes or ?. The site address is like ????.cn

•••
vatsan said:
woah! thats news to me. I thought domain names can only be in english and some language with english alphabets. cool! But hey, how do they expect people to type in these things outside China. I mean, on this page all I see is some boxes or ?. The site address is like ????.cn
Here, let me try:
China.Com = 中国.Com (took me 2 seconds)
Kanji.Com = 汉字。Com (the dot here is Chinese dot)

Well, it shows up here (in vBulletin) in preview correctly.

Very easy to do.

fantasoft said:
苹果公司.cn means apple LTD
The nice thing is that there are no trademark issues. It could mean apple-selling corporation.

深加工.cn is not a common Chinese usage of the term. Did you think of it and then did an English to Chinese translation? (as is often done by non-native speakers).

Last edited:
•••
vatsan said:
But hey, how do they expect people to type in these things outside China. I mean, on this page all I see is some boxes or ?. The site address is like ????.cn

That's my main concern. Character domain names seem to cater for only a particular audience (people who can read/type the characters).

•••
dezinerite said:
That's my main concern. Character domain names seem to cater for only a particular audience (people who can read/type the characters).
Absolutely!
Just like English domains are only to cater for people who can read/type/remember English.

•••
markits said:
Absolutely!
Just like English domains are only to cater for people who can read/type/remember English.

People are kind of catching on. Cars.com is a premium domain name--yes. To people that understand what a "car" is. English is not the #1 speaking language in the world. IDNs DO cater to a targeted audience. Just like English domains target English speaking audiences, so do domains in Russian, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, etc. IDNs are an AMAZING way to get the attention of a specific audience!

•••
I've spent hours trying to find a good Chinese character domain name, but in vain. So where do the Chinese hang out and talk about domain names? Maybe someone can PM me the link? Heheh...

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back