IT.COM

.mobi CityView.mobi to get 121 world city maps

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Countdown........., finishing touches to the database for lat. and long.
A couple of days for testing and you can have a zoomable map for each of the cities below at your fingertips. :laugh:

Algiers Buenos Aires Córdoba Melbourne Adelaide Brisbane Darwin Perth Sydney Vienna Brussels La Paz Rio de Janeiro Belém Salvador São Paulo Sofia Iquique Santiago Beijing Hong Kong Canton Chongqing Nanjing Shanghai Bogotá Kinshasa Havana Prague Copenhagen Djibouti Guayaquil Cairo London Birmingham Bristol Leeds Liverpool Manchester Newcastle-on-Tyne Plymouth Helsinki Paris Bordeaux Lyons Marseilles Cayenne Berlin Frankfurt Hamburg Bremen Munich Athens Guatemala City Georgetown Budapest Reykjavík Bombay Calcutta New Delhi Jakarta Teheran Dublin Rome Venice Milan Naples Kingston Tokyo Nagasaki Nagoya Osaka Nairobi Tripoli Tananarive Kuala Lumpur Mexico City Chihuahua Mazatlán Veracruz Rangoon Amsterdam Auckland Wellington Belfast Oslo Hammerfest Panama City Port Moresby Asunción Lima Manila Warsaw Lisbon Bucharest Moscow St. Petersburg Irkutsk Vladivostok Mecca Aberdeen Edinburgh Glasgow Dakar Belgrade Singapore Cape Town Durban Johannesburg Barcelona Madrid Paramaribo Stockholm Zürich Hobart Bangkok Ankara Odessa Montevideo Caracas

In addition to the US zip code mapping

andyr CityView

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great site. I love it. I checked the zip code part is working fine.

•••
Yes indeed, neat quick info site. Haven't tested it on my phone yet though. My zip code info is correct but the zip mapping puts me in South Dakota instead of California.

•••
scandiman said:
Yes indeed, neat quick info site. Haven't tested it on my phone yet though. My zip code info is correct but the zip mapping puts me in South Dakota instead of California.

Currently you need to click 'center and zoom' button to get the right map after it is displayed. Coding will be sorted out to remove this step.

Thanks for all comments.

andyr

•••
Great concept, name and site buildl! The zip code to lat-long conversion should be quite popular.

•••
scandiman said:

Issue should be fixed.

Now your zip code takes you to the correct map view. (I hope, have not tested them all.)

cheers andyr

•••
I put my Australian zip code and came out a US location.... I put in the Italian one I had in Italy and came out an error.

•••
AndyR said:
Issue should be fixed.

Now your zip code takes you to the correct map view. (I hope, have not tested them all.)

cheers andyr
Yes, works fine now for my California zip code.

•••
nice site ... i think you regged this the day before i was about to .. kudos and good luck with it!

•••
i tried the zip across the border from me, works great

can you say a little about how you implemented the mapping ....
was it difficult ?

i have several names i would like to implement mapping on

•••
nombre said:
i tried the zip across the border from me, works great

can you say a little about how you implemented the mapping ....
was it difficult ?

i have several names i would like to implement mapping on

The SQL database for the US zipcodes was freeware and came with a class file and a demo php file.
zipcodes

I have developed the php after a lot of trial and error, being somewhat of a newbie but having a little knowledge of vb programming.

Microsoft have a mapping SDK called the virtual earth interactive SDK which I am using, I have an email into them on it's licensing requirements. The link is below. It provides source that can be copied into your site.
maps

It is basically fairly simple, but took me quite a long time. If you have questions or need assistance, I can show code snippets, but as I have said I am no expert.

The SQL table for the rest of the world cities, I have developed myself and will hide for the time being. I hope to add more as I progress.

In relation to zip codes for other countries, this is not enabled currently although I am working on UK postal codes. I am searching for 'free' source material to implement other countries.

I hope that the above will get you started and provide more mobi domains in development.

Good luck, andyr

•••
AndyR said:
The SQL table for the rest of the world cities, I have developed myself and will hide for the time being. I hope to add more as I progress.
How many cities do you have built so far?

•••
scandiman said:
How many cities do you have built so far?

I have the SQL for the 121 in terms of city, country, latitude, longitude. I will put the mapping up shortly based on this. I am coding the menu structure in php currently.

I am ultimately looking at a paragraph of text and a low res picture with a link to the city map and other links, feeds for each featured city, not a short task.

My aim is to get a developed site into the community, but it will be progressive and staged.

When I say hide, it will be public domain soon, (and all the information is anyway). I am holding onto it until I get it all working.

Any public domain links I find which are useful I pass on. Maybe the previous ones could be put in the development thread

•••
Nice application, AndyR. Very cool indeed!

•••
thanks andyr, good luck with it!

•••
Good concept.

I like the fact that you have an idea and you just went for it. Thats what we need more of. People developing relevant business models for mobile devices using the .mobi extension.

The issue though is that the maps will not load on the majority of mobile devices currently on the market. The ones they do load on it will be very slow and in some cases painful to use. What I would do is after or before the submit is to warn the users that there will be a large amount of external data loading. This way they will expect a delay and also realize that it could cost them extra fees from their carrier for data usage.

Keep up the good work.

Michael :)

•••
Great site, keep up the great work Andy!

•••
World city maps now added, not all have been checked, but all should produce a map roughly centred on the city. I have left the scale small at this time but the map is zoomable. Some adjustments to the latitude and longitude need doing in SQL. Use cursors to shift the map.

Text information will be added to each page as I go along

Where only one city in a state/country has been posted, clicking on the state/country name will centre approximately on that city. Where several cities are up, clicking on the state name will provide a selectable city menu.

US cities are catered for in the zip code section so are not in the world maps (sorry)

Russia exists in Europe and Asia, all Russian cities are shown in both continents.

Phew! biggest site yet (4Mb + code and counting) Page loads are only a few kb though.

Errors will occur and are the sole responsibility of the proprietor. i.e. countries in the wrong continent etc. These will be ironed out as I find them.

Please use and contact me with errors and omissions.

Thanks, andyr :]cityview

•••
Checked mine out and it works just fine..Nice, little handy site! :tu:

•••
This site keeps getting better and better, well done!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back